U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 05:48 AM
Status: "Achilles is in your alleyway, he doesn't want me here" (set 17 days ago)

17,983 posts, read 17,388,379 times

Advertisements

charcoal, build a brick or rock ring tight around the stump patch and add a half bag of charcoal. Two bags ($20) of regular Kingsford (works best) charcoal will remove any evidence of the stumps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 06:29 AM

11,699 posts, read 13,549,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
charcoal, build a brick or rock ring tight around the stump patch and add a half bag of charcoal. Two bags ($20) of regular Kingsford (works best) charcoal will remove any evidence of the stumps.
Is it necessary to ignite the charcoal, or does the mere presence of charcoal cause the stumps to disappear?

Old 04-17-2017, 07:27 AM
Status: "Achilles is in your alleyway, he doesn't want me here" (set 17 days ago)

17,983 posts, read 17,388,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Is it necessary to ignite the charcoal, or does the mere presence of charcoal cause the stumps to disappear?

arh-arh-arh-arh yes a liberal use of charcoal lighter and a match speed things along, also drilling holes into big stumps seems to result in a more complete burn and there's many youtube videos out there using kerosene but I haven't had any kerosene since I moved out of my sod house. A couple of moderate swings with an ax to remove soft wood (don't say soft wood) can be utilized between burning sessions as well.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:28 AM

7,207 posts, read 6,655,564 times
I dug em down and used a sawzall with a 12" pruning blade. Made pretty quick work of some 8' bushes I had in front of my house. I took care of 6-8 stumps in a couple hours.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:25 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,727,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I dug em down and used a sawzall with a 12" pruning blade. Made pretty quick work of some 8' bushes I had in front of my house. I took care of 6-8 stumps in a couple hours.
I was going to say the same thing use a sawzall. If you cut them down just below grade level the roots will naturally compost no need to dig the whole root out.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 AM

8,632 posts, read 11,120,998 times
HomeDepot has a small stump grinder that can be man handled. We actually brought it to son's place in my Highlander back. It is rather dumb design by Toro, as you can not see the blade, blade is basically a thick disk with some grnding inserts in it. But with a bit of practice, it worked well. I was a spotter, he was the muscle. Otherwise, like I said - no telling what blade does.
We got a decent tree stump and some shrub stumps (turned to be PRECIOUS blooming shrubs {mad wife!}) completely couple inches into topsoil in about an hour.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:37 PM

7,207 posts, read 6,655,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I was going to say the same thing use a sawzall. If you cut them down just below grade level the roots will naturally compost no need to dig the whole root out.

Yup. It's been a year, and I recent dug into the area where one bush used to be. What's left if still solid...but it's pretty rotten and I can break it apart pretty well with a shovel. I suspect it won't be around much longer.

2-3" of soil on top, and the grass readily grew over the area last fall.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:15 PM

749 posts, read 241,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
This is how I remove all my stumps. Some stumps from larger trees will smolder and burn for several days. But when it's done the root is burned way down into the ground.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 AM

18,010 posts, read 20,556,983 times
I suppose it would be too expensive for one stump. When we removed a half acre of juniper trees, the trees were cut down and turned into firewood and we had a self-loading log truck come in. The truck grabbed them with the grapple and they popped right out, bringing about ten foot of root with them.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 363 times
Set up a stone ring around the stump and fill with charcoal then lit and repeat over several days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden