U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM

1,177 posts, read 559,670 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone here has ever bought any seeds or other supplies from the Territorial Seed Company. If I look through their catalog or on their web site, I see an amazing variety of seeds, plants and other supplies. They also have a variety of the disease resistant seeds that I really need. So has anyone here bought anything from them? Any positive or negative feedback? Any concerns about the genetically modified seeds? The ratings on the web seem generally positive but there are a number of complaints as well. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 03:57 PM

11,544 posts, read 4,285,505 times
They're great, they've been my go-to seed company for about 30 years now.

Although they are no longer specifically targeted toward the Pacific Northwest, they carry a lot of seeds from PNW breeders and other small breeders, very important these days.

In general, they are similar to Johnny's Selected Seeds and Baker Creek - similar philosophy, similar interest in maintaining older varieties, and similar commitment to both home growers and local market gardeners.

And that GMO rumor is just mystifying. They do sell plenty of non-organic seed, but it's not GMO, and never has been.

Here's their statement - Vegetable Seeds, Flower Seeds, Herb Seed, Garden Seed - Territorial Seed Company

Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 PM

16,792 posts, read 18,946,817 times
I bought saffron bulbs from them and that was fine.

You can't actually buy GMO seed without a special contract from the seed producer. Maybe you could stop worrying about someone slipping you any GMO seed unaware, because that stuff is very tightly controlled. It's not like marijuana where your buddies slip it into your brownies without telling you.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:53 PM

255 posts, read 108,171 times
I've always liked them, no problems.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:56 PM

1,315 posts, read 396,697 times
Me too, they were my main seed supplier for awhile there- and, I love that you can get big packets of seed from them (I go through a lot of arugula for ex). My last seed order was 2015- great!

Old 04-17-2017, 08:44 PM

1,177 posts, read 559,670 times
Thank you so much for your responses. But do you think I might have some issues with the seeds since I am in the North East? I guess I will give them a call and ask them. They do ship all over the country for one flat rate...

Old 04-17-2017, 09:00 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,496,126 times
Always look for ratings on Dave's Garden

Old 04-17-2017, 09:01 PM

276 posts, read 260,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Thank you so much for your responses. But do you think I might have some issues with the seeds since I am in the North East? I guess I will give them a call and ask them. They do ship all over the country for one flat rate...
I get seeds and other items from them very happy. I am in Oregon just up the road from them. I think you should give them a call and ask, I believe they will give you good info!

Old 04-17-2017, 10:18 PM

6,298 posts, read 6,231,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You can't actually buy GMO seed without a special contract from the seed producer. Maybe you could stop worrying about someone slipping you any GMO seed unaware, because that stuff is very tightly controlled. It's not like marijuana where your buddies slip it into your brownies without telling you.
Absolutely true. Monsanto et al have patents on those seeds, and they are sold by the sack, not in packets, to large commercial operations. You'd have to sign a contract with your seed dealer.

As for Territorial, I am in northern Maine and their seeds do fine for me. They have some varieties that I can't find locally. I like their offerings, and never had any that would not grow.

BTW, Territorial was founded by Steve Solomon, author of "Gardening When It Counts" and "The Intelligent Gardener", both of which I also recommend.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 PM

948 posts, read 251,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Absolutely true. Monsanto et al have patents on those seeds, and they are sold by the sack, not in packets, to large commercial operations. You'd have to sign a contract with your seed dealer.
So you think even the big box stores that sell seed packets are also non-gmo?

I've heard conflicting information on that over the years.

Territorial Seed Co. I have only heard good things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden