U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the Best Way to Handle Watering While on Vacation?
Get the garden ready and plant them in the ground, then setup a water timer. 2 40.00%
Bring them down to the neighbors and let them water daily for me. 2 40.00%
Other Options, enter your response in reply 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:13 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,077,338 times

Advertisements

Is 1/2" appropriate. I was tempted to use 1/4" wire mesh around the garden buried 6-8" to prevent digging up underneath the garden like some did last year.

I was also putting together a removable PVC frame with bird netting attached for the top. Would keep birds and others out without affecting plant light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 10:24 AM

54,524 posts, read 36,571,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
My assumption is they are still to young to transplant to the ground, even by the first week of May. In total its 5 days I'd be gone. My bil has a hose timer I could hookup and set this all up on the deck, would it be ok to leave them out overnight at that point? .
Mothers Day is the rule of thumb for us. Not before. So yeah, would be too soon to get them in ground now or by May 1st. Also.. Did you harden them off? They are outside already?? Seems way too early. Need 2 weeks to harden off so you're 2 weeks early.

Quote:
I also have a friend nearby who is an avid gardener who would be more than willing to help keep my plants healthy.

That's the best option. Bring them down there or give him the keys to come inside and care for them.

Tell him you'll give him some seeds of something he doesn't have or give him some firewood or something

Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,077,338 times
I think thats the option I'm gonna go for Cam and leave them with him. I have had them outside now for two weeks during the daytime only. They have been hardening really well, and I don't want to be to optimistic but they look like the best seedlings I've ever grown to this point. That may be partly because I used Johnny Seeds and not Burpee or that I invested in a few things like a fan for downstairs, keeping the light closer, watering from underneath for awhile, moving to larger 4" pots, etc.

They no longer get artificial light as I bring them in at dusk and put them on the counter then back out again before work. If there is rain in the forecast they stay in and like I said they seem to be doing really well and growing steadily but not at a frantic pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden