U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 06:13 PM
exm exm started this thread

516 posts, read 143,516 times

Advertisements

Someone please help me! They're overtaking my lawn. Thank you!

Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 06:22 PM

5,870 posts, read 7,411,825 times
Chickweed.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:26 PM

28,326 posts, read 35,390,284 times
Just make sure your weed and feed covers it.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the response. I tried Spectracide Weed Stop for Lawns without luck...

Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,007,713 times
Yep, definitely chickweed. They're really bad this year everywhere it seems. I use something called TZone SE (amazon) to kill off mine. Buy a spray bottle from Home Depot and mix heavy ( ounce) with water and keep handy for spot treatment with out killing grass. User named Moving2Reston also like Speed Zone too for his. These little boogers are tough. Likely going to need the good stuff. But they will die off naturally when it starts to get really hot outside too.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Yep, definitely chickweed. They're really bad this year everywhere it seems. I use something called TZone SE (amazon) to kill off mine. Buy a spray bottle from Home Depot and mix heavy ( ounce) with water and keep handy for spot treatment with out killing grass. User named Moving2Reston also like Speed Zone too for his. These little boogers are tough. Likely going to need the good stuff. But they will die off naturally when it starts to get really hot outside too.
Appreciate the reply! This is what you're referring to: "T-Zone Turf Herbicide - 1 Quart", and that's safe on lawns?

Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,007,713 times
Yep, that's the stuff. Should look just like the photo below. You can dilute it down and put it in a backpack sprayer and hit the whole yard if you'd like. It won't kill the grass, but it will kill nearly every broadleaf weed type out there. Good stuff. But need to read the label though. Nothing complicated, but read it just to be sure you don't over power the mixture if hitting the whole yards at once. That might damage the grass (as will anything that it overly powerful).

These chickweeds are tough little things. Since dragging out the backpack sprayer isn't always practical, I bought a $3 spray bottle from Home Depot, filled it with water and a heavy dose of this stuff and use it to spot-treat here and there. I put in about an ounce in the mix (way strong), and it killed the weeds dead in about 2 days. Didn't seem to kill the grass around it, but did stress it a little. You don't want to widely broadcast at that dilution rate, but to lean down and sprinkle a little near where the weed is rooted in the ground, should do the trick without overly harming the lawn.

I understand it's not exactly cheap at over $40 per bottle. But remember that one of these bottles will likely take care of you for a couple of years. It's the pro stuff that you're likely not going to find at the big-box stores. Mainly because it requires a dilution to use, whereas most of the big box stuff is just click it on the end of the hose and go, with marginal results at best.

Where I am seeing them most in my area, is along the edges of lawns that front to the road. Which happens to be the same place in the same lawns that got hit by heavy crabgrass last year that died off during winter.
Attached Thumbnails
What are these weeds and how to get rid of them? Loc: Long Island, NY-81pyzvjglwl__sl1500_.jpg  

Old 04-21-2017, 09:45 AM

363 posts, read 138,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Thanks for the response. I tried Spectracide Weed Stop for Lawns without luck...

did you appy it when daytime temp remained over 70 degrees for a few hours? otherwise plant won't adsorb/process it before it washes off . . .

Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Yep, that's the stuff. Should look just like the photo below. You can dilute it down and put it in a backpack sprayer and hit the whole yard if you'd like. It won't kill the grass, but it will kill nearly every broadleaf weed type out there. Good stuff. But need to read the label though. Nothing complicated, but read it just to be sure you don't over power the mixture if hitting the whole yards at once. That might damage the grass (as will anything that it overly powerful).

These chickweeds are tough little things. Since dragging out the backpack sprayer isn't always practical, I bought a $3 spray bottle from Home Depot, filled it with water and a heavy dose of this stuff and use it to spot-treat here and there. I put in about an ounce in the mix (way strong), and it killed the weeds dead in about 2 days. Didn't seem to kill the grass around it, but did stress it a little. You don't want to widely broadcast at that dilution rate, but to lean down and sprinkle a little near where the weed is rooted in the ground, should do the trick without overly harming the lawn.

I understand it's not exactly cheap at over $40 per bottle. But remember that one of these bottles will likely take care of you for a couple of years. It's the pro stuff that you're likely not going to find at the big-box stores. Mainly because it requires a dilution to use, whereas most of the big box stuff is just click it on the end of the hose and go, with marginal results at best.

Where I am seeing them most in my area, is along the edges of lawns that front to the road. Which happens to be the same place in the same lawns that got hit by heavy crabgrass last year that died off during winter.
Thanks again. Just ordered this at Jet.com for $40 shipped. Interestingly enough this stuff is actually forbidden in my county for some reason, but I'm sure for non-commercial use no one cares.

I'm doing my own lawn care in a town where most people use landscapers, so $40 is acceptable. My lawn actually has looked really good the past few years, so I was a bit surprised by the explosion of chickweed this spring but I'm glad you explained some of the background.

I have a 1 gallon Lawn and Garden Sprayer that I intend to use for spot treatment and I believe I
1.1-1.5 ounces per gallon of water for spot spraying (probably leaning towards the higher amount).

Old 04-21-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
did you appy it when daytime temp remained over 70 degrees for a few hours? otherwise plant won't adsorb/process it before it washes off . . .
Applied with temps around 60 degrees (no rain though). Is 70 degree a requirement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden