Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2017, 04:18 AM

5 posts, read 3,907 times

Advertisements

Hi

I need some help. I noticed that my broadleaf plant leaves are browning and dying. The season is turning by us in Gauteng south Africa but it hasn't got that cold yet (no frost, app 10°C min) so I can't see that being the cause. If anyone can provide some advice.
Then my urn plant flower has died, what do I do now?
Thanks

Here is a link to my drive for images. I promise there is no spyware crap, I genuinely need advice.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...UZJa3JHY1hoZ0k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 01:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
I can't find your pictures.

How many hours of daylight are you getting now?

Old 04-23-2017, 01:33 PM

Apologies. It's the url in the beginning and end.

About 10.5

The plant gets app 5-6 direct sun

Here is a better version of the link. Copy and paste it your Internet browser. I don't know the name of the broad leaf plant.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...UZJa3JHY1hoZ0k

Old 04-23-2017, 04:06 PM

Sorry, I still can't find your pictures and without knowing the names of any of your plants or what they look like it's hard to give advice.

But it is autumn there so I was looking up what the weather is like there now, as well as historical weather and climate and daylight hours there in autumn. I suspect if it's only your broadleaved plants that are failing then it's a natural occurrence due to the season. With the decrease of daylight hours less than 12 hours a day nearly all deciduous perrenial plants outdoors start to change colour or brown and drop their leaves in autumn in preparation for winter dormancy - and any annuals seed out and then die. Decrease in temperatures and daylight hours triggers it.

One other thing I noticed is that autumn is typically Gauteng's driest time of year, and right now your UV index is high. That lack of water and humidity and the high UV is something else that can cause plants to go dormant or die off earlier than usual before winter. But that is normal too. If you can find out the names of the plants it might be possible to be more informative.

Is this what your urn plant looked like? https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/hou...-urn-plant.htm

The link below is the weather link for your area that I was looking at.

https://www.worldweatheronline.com/j...auteng/za.aspx

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-23-2017 at 04:46 PM..

Old 04-23-2017, 10:37 PM

After some Google images, I think the plant is karkalo leaf.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:42 AM

Upon further investigation, It could actually be an elephant ear plant.

Thank you for the info on the urn plant. Much appreciated.

That website you sent is actually awesome.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:20 AM

I don't grow karkalo or elephant ears but I can tell you that they are related and are perennials which may go dormant for winter. Here is a site with some helpful information about the care of elephant ears and how to overwinter them: How to Grow and Care for Elephant Ear Plant: Ten Top Tips

Old 04-24-2017, 11:37 AM

Thank you, I appreciate the help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden