Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 08:33 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,644 times

Advertisements

I had these ugly tall viney bushes so I tore them out tonight, granted they provided some privacy. `I have a roughly 6 foot wide by 9 foot wide opening. I would like to stick a tree or some nice shrubs there for privacy. Now what I would like, is a good plant that doesnt require much maitenance and doesnt make a horrific mess in the fall.

I just cut down a sweetgum tree due to the balls myself. posting pics, dont want the plant to get above 7 feet tall max. and wouldnt want the roots to tear up my concrete patio beside it. Suggestions? I live in ohio if that matters for growth. They need to be perennials as i want to plant it once, and be done with it.

The two ugly shrubs are actually removed, they are just sitting there til I removed them.

how are Hydrangeas? they look really pretty. are they high maitenance once rooted? make a mess in fall? think would look good in that area or 2-3 of them?

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 04-16-2017 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 05:53 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
What side of the house ? N-S-E-W facing ? 6 or more hours of full sun ?

Hydrangeas like some shade, are only messy when you trim them in the fall.

"All hydrangeas will bloom and grow well in morning sun and afternoon shade. This is especially true of the commonly grown Hydrangea macrophylla. Macrophylla hydrangeas are the blue and pink mopheads and lacecaps.

The further north one lives the more sun hydrangeas need and can withstand. While mophead hydrangeas can grow well in all-day sun in Chicago, they would struggle to survive in afternoon sun in Atlanta. Some visitors to this site who live in cooler climates such as the northeast or northwest report that their hydrangeas do beautifully in full sun all day.

No hydrangea will do well in HEAVY shade, such as under a shade tree. The blooms will be sparse and will not develop fully.

If your landscape is mostly sunny (and hot), you may wish to grow the PeeGee (paniculata) hydrangea, which thrives in all day sun as long as it receives adequate moisture. PeeGee hydrangeas actually need at least 5 hours of sun per day to bloom well.

The Oakleaf hydrangeas will also grow in sun or shade, but the blooms last longer if they get a little afternoon shade in hot climates. The leaves on the Oakleaf hydrangeas will "color up" best in the fall if they receive some sun."

link to information

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-17-2017, 06:25 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,967 times
I am personally a huge fan of lilacs. We planted ours in 2005 and it is just now maybe 7' tall and maybe 4' wide. It is on the northwest side of our house and gets a decent amount of sun. They are beautiful in the spring and very low maintenance with a very tidy growing habit. I have yet to trim ours at all. With that said, they can get large over time, but again, are very low maintenance. In perfect spring weather the blossoms are stunning and smell amazing. They can be messy when they drop, but not in a sticky way like crabapples or other sappy ornamentals (though we really loved our Newport plum trees before they both died following a severe cold snap). Just sweep the dead blossoms off a deck or patio or let the wind take care of it. I love my lilac and plan to have more when we re-landscape our backyard.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
some lilacs get huge...up to 15' tall and wide. try a Miss Kim lilac, they stay under 7 feet and can easily be pruned to stay as compact as you desire...very fragrant.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:52 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,644 times
I went to a tree nursery and picked out a dwarf japanese maple and a dwarf korean lilac for front yard.

[/img]

question. My dward japanese maple is 4 feet exactly from side of patio, this is enough room correct? i was told 3-4 feet. just want to double confirm. I am having a tree stump grinded away in front yard this week, how far away from the old stump do i have to plant a new tree? i'd like to plant a red dogwood or white dogwood

Old 04-17-2017, 10:43 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
looks nice

Old 04-21-2017, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 717 times
Chilean myrtle with delicious berries that taste of strawberries and are scented!!!! My favourite plant and grows well in Ireland where I garden and we don't have cold winters as near sea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden