Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 07:05 AM

50,004 posts, read 63,335,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What is in a container? Container grown trees are notorious for being rootbound, any circling roots should always be straightened out or cut before planting. Another problem is the potting media that nurseries use, many times it's almost pure pine bark, and that stuff dries out so quickly, much faster than the surrounding native soil. Anytime I plant a container grown tree, I take a hose and try to wash out as much of that potting mix as I can before I put it in the ground.

Is the tree in partial shade? Dogwoods do like some shade in the afternoon, full sun all day long will scorch them.
The tree was in loose soil in a #5 container. It was not root bound. It looked as though it had perhaps just been placed in the pot for shipping.

It is in partial shade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
how long has it been in the ground ? it will die in 4 weeks .. if it is 4 weeks old and still green it will be ok ..
I'm guessing it's about week 3. The little branches with the crunchy leaves are still green, so here's hoping.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:04 PM

14,653 posts, read 14,749,287 times
What you have described, especially with you doing all the deep watering several times a week - it all sounds like root rot from overwatering. Root rot is caused when too much water pushes the air out of the soil, resulting in suffocation and root decay from drowning the roots.

The signs of root rot are wilting leaves and branches and leaf scorch, a condition marked by the browning of the edges and tips of a plant's leaves. I'd suggest that when you get it replaced that you not water the replacement tree so deeply or so often as you've said was done with this one.

It sure would be helpful if you could post pictures of it.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:19 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,544,721 times
I'm taking some AG classes at our local community college to learn about Horticulture and Plant Disease.

Of course, I'm finding out that the more I learn, the less I know!

It could be mineral deficiency, fungus, bacteria, viruses, nematodes, insects.Too much light, heat, water , fertilizer. Or too little light, heat, water fertilizer.

I'm taking Soil Technology next Semester, lol.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:35 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,865,134 times
we have a lot of pin oaks at work and they will occasionally develop a yellowing, then browning of the leaves. our arborist tells me that it is an iron deficiency (trees are in parking lot islands) and while unsightly, it isn't fatal to the trees.

Iron and manganese deficiencies in woody plants

Old 04-23-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
What you have described, especially with you doing all the deep watering several times a week - it all sounds like root rot from overwatering. Root rot is caused when too much water pushes the air out of the soil, resulting in suffocation and root decay from drowning the roots.

The signs of root rot are wilting leaves and branches and leaf scorch, a condition marked by the browning of the edges and tips of a plant's leaves. I'd suggest that when you get it replaced that you not water the replacement tree so deeply or so often as you've said was done with this one.

It sure would be helpful if you could post pictures of it.

Of course, you could be right, but this ain't my first rodeo (although it might sound like it) and in my experience, a plant droops and turns yellow from too much water.

The more I think about it, the more I'm worried about the fertilizer thing that someone mentioned. Hubby says he doesn't remember if he used any or not.
The sucker sure looks like toast, doesn't it?

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-24-2020 at 08:07 AM..

Old 04-23-2017, 04:50 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,254,623 times
I don't know about coastal GA, but over here near coastal AL a lot of dogwoods have been dying lately. I'm not sure what it is, I had two old ones in my yard that started as native seedlings, and they both suddenly died one year.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:11 PM

83,298 posts, read 74,572,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The more I think about it, the more I'm worried about the fertilizer thing that someone mentioned. Hubby says he doesn't remember if he used any or not.

I thought my Holly was dead (left). This was due to historic cold hitting it and a long duration snowpack preserving the bottom. All the leaves burnt and fell off. 1 month later in May new growth appeared and the following year back to normal..

Just cause something looks like a goner, doesn't mean it is.

What happened to the leader trunk of your tree? Looks like a branch was just stuck in the ground? Did you do the scratch test? If its green under the bark, leave it. If not, chuck it.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't know about coastal GA, but over here near coastal AL a lot of dogwoods have been dying lately. I'm not sure what it is, I had two old ones in my yard that started as native seedlings, and they both suddenly died one year.
Yes, we specifically chose this kind because it's been bred for disease resistance and also the heat here.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:40 PM

14,653 posts, read 14,749,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Of course, you could be right, but this ain't my first rodeo (although it might sound like it) and in my experience, a plant droops and turns yellow from too much water.

The title of your thread says Do brown leaves always mean, not enough water?

Not really wanting to argue the point or question your rodeo experiences, but you did ask the question and the answer is no, it does not always mean not enough water. It can also mean too much water.

As I mentioned above, signs of root decay caused by too much water can manifest as wilting leaves and branches and leaf scorch with leaves browning and curling. If you do a thorough internet search of symptoms of overwatering in dogwoods you'll find plenty of information and warnings to back that up. Now that you've posted the picture and I've seen it that's also how it looks to me.

Dogwoods can be particularly susceptible to too much root saturation and if, as you say, you got a dogwood that was specifically bred for heat resistance then that means that type of dogwood would be more susceptible to over-watering because it's been bred for heat and drought resistance. Not all dogwoods are equal in their water needs.

The picture is a bit fuzzy but your dogwood looks soft and spongy to me. I could be wrong about that - just going by the picture. Try bending and twisting the end of one of the top branches to see if it feels soft and mushy or dry and brittle. If it's mushy and won't break or twist off easily or if the bark slides off when you twist it that suggests too much water, if the branch is brittle or breaks off easily and the bark is flakey that suggests too little water (or fertilizer burn or could be a host of other causes).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden