Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 09:50 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
FOOD Inc is a movie that has long-since been proven to be full of bald-faced lies. Only one of those is the LIE about a poor farmer being sued because he was "trying to help other farmers save their seeds."

Are you aware that Percy Schmeiser was found guilty by THREE Canadian courts?

Are you aware that NO farmer in the entire WORLD is required to buy anything from Monsanto - and that millions don't?

Again, stop drinking the Organic Industry KoolAid. They are lying to you, and doing so for financial reasons.
do you know the definition of a monopoly?

And really - you think you can defend MONSANTO. Ugh,

Lets get back to the thread topic- of this wonderful man who has devoted his life to preserving seeds and our seed heritage.
(right? thats why you are on this thread? Or maybe you should go back under your bridge...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 09:59 PM

749 posts, read 734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
do you know the definition of a monopoly?

And really - you think you can defend MONSANTO. Ugh,

Lets get back to the thread topic- of this wonderful man who has devoted his life to preserving seeds and our seed heritage.
(right? thats why you are on this thread? Or maybe you should go back under your bridge...)
Yes, actually, I absolutely CAN "defend Monstanto." And I will, when people like you are spouting absolute lies.

And Monsanto does NOT have a "monopoly" on agriculture. That's just stupid. Farmers around the world have THOUSANDS of options that have NOTHING to do with Monsanto.

If you had ANY idea what you were talking about, you wouldn't be saying the things you're saying.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:02 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,405 times
Monsanto aside...

It's good to have biodiversity. It's a hedge against plant extinction. Who knows when the next rampant bacterial or viral infection is going to sweep through? Or when our environment changes drastically. I trust natural selection to be faster and more effective than a "GMO technician" (though they may have their place). And on top of that, I'm sure there are many unknowns with regards to how the environment, plant genes, and our genes interact. I have a feeling that the food we eat can give us rudimentary signals about what our environment looks like, because we're PRESUMABLY eating very local food we can walk to (not the case anymore).

And let's not forget about the evolution of new and better food! Some delicious molecule might be evolved that a GMO technician would've never though of.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Monsanto aside...

It's good to have biodiversity. It's a hedge against plant extinction. Who knows when the next rampant bacterial or viral infection is going to sweep through? Or when our environment changes drastically. I trust natural selection to be faster and more effective than a "GMO technician" (though they may have their place). And on top of that, I'm sure there are many unknowns with regards to how the environment, plant genes, and our genes interact. I have a feeling that the food we eat can give us rudimentary signals about what our environment looks like, because we're PRESUMABLY eating very local food we can walk to (not the case anymore).

And let's not forget about the evolution of new and better food! Some delicious molecule might be evolved that a GMO technician would've never though of.
I think people forget that farmers have been "hybridizing" for thousands and thousands of years - both with crops and livestock.

There are undoubtedly thousands of varieties and strains of "crops" that have long-since been lost, because people simply stopped planting them. I'm not sure whether that's a big thing or not.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:32 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Monsanto aside...

yes, this-
in this day and age with so many unknowns looming, the devastation left by wars and natural disasters, just having (and being allowed to have) biodiversity is important.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:29 PM

205 posts, read 205,970 times
Quote:
Not a clue what you're talking about.
"recatching" seeds from a garden (e.g. heirloom seeds) or an entire crop cuts agriculture costs by large percentages...there is lots o money to be made by what is termed "recatching" seeds from crop samples and reusing them rather than purchasing a new sample of seed from the open market...
Guardar

Old 05-01-2017, 01:36 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
The old seeds from 80 years ago were about as crappy as cars from 80 years ago.

But, if nostalgia is what you crave, have at both.
Seeds from 80 years ago are likely no longer viable.

Fortunately crop yields have been increasing in all vectors of Ag. Conventional farming yields have risen, GMO crop yields have risen, almost as much as Organic crop yields have risen.

As to reducing soil-erosion, thankfully more farms have adopted organic methods of no-till to reduce erosion.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countess Capital View Post
"recatching" seeds from a garden (e.g. heirloom seeds) or an entire crop cuts agriculture costs by large percentages...there is lots o money to be made by what is termed "recatching" seeds from crop samples and reusing them rather than purchasing a new sample of seed from the open market...[CENTER]Guardar[/CENTER]
You don't "recatch" heirloom seeds from a garden filled with hybrids.

Also, there are a lot of reasons why actual farmers don't "recatch" seeds, then plant corn (etc.) out of the bin. Please tell me you know why they don't do that.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
As to reducing soil-erosion, thankfully more farms have adopted organic methods of no-till to reduce erosion.
The reduction in soil erosion on farms in almost 100% a result of GMO seeds, and RoundUp Ready crops.

@#$%#@!#@! Monsanto!

Old 05-01-2017, 02:54 PM

205 posts, read 205,970 times
Quote:
You don't "recatch" heirloom seeds from a garden filled with hybrids.

Also, there are a lot of reasons why actual farmers don't "recatch" seeds, then plant corn (etc.) out of the bin. Please tell me you know why they don't do that.
I wouldn't know from any professional experience because I've never worked with corn or corn seeds... I've only worked with Chile peppers, onions and a few other organic products but it is pretty generally understood by the people that I worked with that "recatching" ANY seed was preferred (if possible) to "new" seeding; but, I would have to make an assessment at the farmer maybe wanting to avoid particular disease or spoilage of the seeds, or some other condition such as pests or rodents which would be particular to corn seeds when seeds are stored in volume..I am also pretty sure that corn is a Volume (large scale) Industrial Commodity so, the seeding and crop are handled differently for packaging. the chili pepper industry recatches seed to save money and create generational samples. Heirlooms are generational and require recatching...so here you go https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heirloom_plant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden