U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2017, 12:01 PM

3,674 posts, read 5,857,748 times

Advertisements

Where do you buy them? I'd like to try a few of each this year.

I'm looking at American Meadows. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 01:35 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,425,656 times
Kinkytoes can recommend:
American Meadows - lily bulbs. Got my RARE, native, fabulous lilium superbum from them and they FINALLY BLOOMED. There are too many tracking scripts on the site now, but their products have been good and they never mixed up my bulbs.

Holland Bulb Farms - They occasionally have unusual peonies. Otherwise, for the common ones, I'd say...

Lowes - CHEAP peony roots, but the divisions are bigger than anything I got online. The only thing is that they carry more common peonies. They also have lilies, dahlias and other bulbs. I've never tried dahlias.

B&D Lilies - They have a big variety of unusual and hard to find lilies. The quality is good. I've bought tons of lilies online, and B&D is another source that has not mixed up any of my bulb orders.

NOTE you may want to plant peonies in Fall. They sulk in Spring in my area.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:08 PM

3,674 posts, read 5,857,748 times
Thanks, Kinkytoes. I'm zone 7. I'm going to skip the Dahlias this year as they have to be lifted or container planted. Think I'll skip that until next year.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:41 PM

4,547 posts, read 5,841,454 times
My Itoh Peony, Bartzella, has it's first bloom this year. Probably would have bloomed before, by mistake it got mowed down, twice They are easy to find at stores, but I find they all have the same old same old every year.

I had 2 dahlia's that I put in a few years ago. They both have come back. I won't take an bulbs out of the ground, if it survives, it survives. I do try to get ones right for my zone, 7B

I'm running out of room in my garden, but should I find another Itoh I like, I will find some way to wiggle it in to my garden. Sorta like the 3 hosta's I bought today that I surely don't need, but can somehow find room for them in my "hosta arena."

Thanks for posting those names, I will have to look and see what's there.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:27 PM

845 posts, read 330,867 times
Default Lilies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Where do you buy them? I'd like to try a few of each this year.

I'm looking at American Meadows. Any thoughts?
NYChistorygal: I get my Lilies from Breck's, Jung, and Bluestone Perennials........now they come in doubles.....

Old 05-02-2017, 08:28 PM

845 posts, read 330,867 times
American Meadows is an excellent company, also....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden