U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2017, 04:34 PM

8,299 posts, read 4,901,268 times

Advertisements

I set up a planter box on my driveway and planted some Posies back in December. The lady I bought them from said the Posies would die out in the spring and at that time I could pull them out and replant something else. I think she said this because I had told her I am not a gardener and I just wanted plants that would "take care of themselves." In other words, I wanted a plant that would flower without me having to tend to them. (I chose the posies because at the time I bought them, they were the only thing she had with the colors I wanted.)

In fact, each time they seem to wilt a little and I remember that they need water, I get out the hose and douse them. They come roaring back to life.

So, it's been about 5 months now.

I absolutely love the posies. You wouldn't believe how often I look at them out the window. But I am curious; was the lady saying that they would die out simply because I was saying they would not get the attention they need?

As long as I tend to them and give them water every few days will the Posies survive 90-100 degree South Carolina days.

I appreciate any feed back.
Attached Thumbnails
Posies-posies.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 05:41 PM

2,637 posts, read 3,831,373 times
Those are pansies! You have done a great job of keeping them alive.

Those of us in the South plant them in the fall and they usually last until late spring/early summer. If we get an deep freeze or ice storm they will look dead but they usually come back to life with a little TLC.

Sadly, they will soon die and you will have to plant something else to live through our hot summer!

Old 04-29-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Those are pansies! You have done a great job of keeping them alive.

Those of us in the South plant them in the fall and they usually last until late spring/early summer. If we get an deep freeze or ice storm they will look dead but they usually come back to life with a little TLC.

Sadly, they will soon die and you will have to plant something else to live through our hot summer!
Thanks for the correction. It is a good thing to call something by it's correct name.

OK so I need to prepare for a funeral. Is there something as colorful that will last through the summer and winter?

Old 04-30-2017, 01:01 AM

5,812 posts, read 5,664,373 times
For the hot summer you could plant portulaca grandiflora, they are very colorful and do well in hot climate. And then when they die off in late autumn you could replace them with winter pansies.

Pictures of portulaca grandiflora: https://www.google.ca/search?q=portu...&dpr=1.3#spf=1

Pictures of winter pansies: https://www.google.ca/search?q=winte...&bih=716#spf=1

Old 04-30-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
For the hot summer you could plant portulaca grandiflora, they are very colorful and do well in hot climate. And then when they die off in late autumn you could replace them with winter pansies.

Pictures of portulaca grandiflora: https://www.google.ca/search?q=portu...&dpr=1.3#spf=1

Pictures of winter pansies: https://www.google.ca/search?q=winte...&bih=716#spf=1
You are right, those are colorful. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or