Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:24 PM

749 posts, read 734,665 times

Advertisements

I'm kind of ashamed to admit that my wife & I consistently struggle to raise radishes and potatoes - two things that should be extremely easy. We successfully raise just about any and everything else in our 3 gardens, but not radishes or potatoes. And I don't know why.

Is there anything that any of you consistently have a hard time raising?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 09:33 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,182,251 times
Spinach, never seems to either come up, or live much past the seedling stage. I'm trying a new variety this year, one that's suppose to be heat tolerant: https://www.botanicalinterests.com/p...h-Lavewa-Seeds Crossing fingers!

Also have trouble with peas - seems either too hot, or when I put them in the ground the squirrels/chipmunks seem to think it's a snack put out just for them.

I gave up trying corn. I'm trying eggplant again this year, hasn't worked well for me in the past.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Spinach, never seems to either come up, or live much past the seedling stage. I'm trying a new variety this year, one that's suppose to be heat tolerant: https://www.botanicalinterests.com/p...h-Lavewa-Seeds Crossing fingers!

Also have trouble with peas - seems either too hot, or when I put them in the ground the squirrels/chipmunks seem to think it's a snack put out just for them.

I gave up trying corn. I'm trying eggplant again this year, hasn't worked well for me in the past.
We've done okay with spinach, but never planted many peas. Just enough to sit in the garden and eat right out of the pod.

I think the trouble with sweet corn is that most of us don't plant enough of it to really get it pollinated.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:59 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Bell peppers.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:20 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
Is there anything that any of you consistently have a hard time raising?

Broccoli. Brussel Sprouts. Corn. but not "consistently" because after a couple times you don't want to waste any more garden space and time trying. Clay and lack of Sun probably my issue.

Eggplant too but I think I got a handle on that. They like the soil acidic but I have to be careful for the plants around them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
I'm kind of ashamed to admit that my wife & I consistently struggle to raise radishes and potatoes - two things that should be extremely easy. We successfully raise just about any and everything else in our 3 gardens, but not radishes or potatoes. And I don't know why.

Yeah, those 2 things have seemed the easiest here. Test the soil PH and fertility, make sure its loose for underground crops. How far do your potatoes get? Do you use Hay to hill them when the green top part grows?

Old 04-30-2017, 06:19 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
I gave up on squash. Got an initial yield and then just rotted vines. Gave it 3 tries and done.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We gave up on corn. We cannot plant until Mid-May when the soil warms up, and we can get frost in early October. With that short growing season we decided to try "On Deck Hybrid" which matures in just 60 days. First the crows pulled up the
seedlings to eat the seed, then when the ears formed, the #$@^@?!! squirrels ate them. We ended up getting two ears out of 12 plants. They were delicious but not worth the trouble since we can get it fresh from the fields at a local farmer's market for as little as 5/$1 May-September.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah, those 2 things have seemed the easiest here. Test the soil PH and fertility, make sure its loose for underground crops. How far do your potatoes get? Do you use Hay to hill them when the green top part grows?
We've decided to not grow any more potatoes. They're cheap at the grocery story, and unlike a lot of produce, they store well.

I think one of our issues with the radishes might be that our soil isn't sandy enough.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:35 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,293 times
I can't grow any sort of squash or zucchini. There's an enormous amount of vine borers around me that are active from late April - October. This year I put out pumpkins away from my garden. I'm going to continuously douse them in pesticides (that I wouldn't put near anything I eat) to try and knock the population down. Maybe next year I can get some squash.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:31 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
^ I have the same issue, can't grow my favorite plants - pumpkins - thanks to stupid squash borers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden