Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 04:21 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,092,470 times

Advertisements

I purchased two 'Jewel' Black Raspberry plants today. I live in Zone 5. Any hints or suggestions regarding successfully growing this kind of plant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 06:47 PM

4,528 posts, read 6,215,422 times
6-8 hours of sun daily, good drainage soil should do the trick. Growing tips.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-03-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
6-8 hours of sun daily, good drainage soil should do the trick. Growing tips.

Regards
Gemstone1
Thank you for the information. I do have an issue with poor drainage in my backyard.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:58 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,685,094 times
Raspberries are very easy to grow and don't require a ton of maintenance. I have red raspberries (Joan J) that are thriving in our poor clay soil, though I did amend slightly with some compost and organic fertilizer when I planted the bare root stock. Good drainage is definitely key. I fertilized maybe twice all season last season and got a pint or so of berries off of 5 plants by the time the season ended - pretty good for 5 small plants that looked like dead sticks when they went in the ground. This season I have many new plants emerging from the soil and expect enough berries to make some jam. The root systems of raspberry plants spread quickly and they propagate readily, so be prepared to have a very nice berry patch within a few years from just a few plants. Fortunately, they transplant extremely well, so you can dig in and remove newly emerged plants if they come up in undesirable locations. Give them to neighbors, friends or family - I'm sure they'd love them.

I did find that it can be pretty easy to over-fertilize, so be careful with that. I had several plants lose leaves within a week of being over-fed, but they bounced back pretty quickly after I flushed the soil as best I could. I didn't fertilize again for the rest of last season and they came back beautifully this season. In my research, I had read that they were heavy feeders, but that's probably once they establish after a year or two in the ground. Be conservative the first season.

I also found that *my* raspberries do well (maybe not best) with much less than full sun. My most productive and largest plant actually gets more shade than sun - maybe 2-3 hours of sun. With that said, I would guess that they would be much more productive and vigorous in full sun, but they should still tolerate quite a bit of shade.

Another very important note that I have read several times on trusted websites is that you should not plant red or golden varieties of raspberries within about 100 feet of black raspberries. While black raspberries are amazing, they are also relatively susceptible to fungal disease which can carry over to other varieties if they're planted in close proximity. Here is a snippit from Stark Bros., a well-respected source for not only great information, but some of the best bare root plants you can purchase online. STARK BROS - BLACK RASPBERRIES. I highly recommend.

Enjoy your raspberries and please keep us posted! They're easy and SO unbelievably delicious fresh off the plant - you won't even believe how good they are.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Raspberries are very easy to grow and don't require a ton of maintenance. I have red raspberries (Joan J) that are thriving in our poor clay soil, though I did amend slightly with some compost and organic fertilizer when I planted the bare root stock. Good drainage is definitely key. I fertilized maybe twice all season last season and got a pint or so of berries off of 5 plants by the time the season ended - pretty good for 5 small plants that looked like dead sticks when they went in the ground. This season I have many new plants emerging from the soil and expect enough berries to make some jam. The root systems of raspberry plants spread quickly and they propagate readily, so be prepared to have a very nice berry patch within a few years from just a few plants. Fortunately, they transplant extremely well, so you can dig in and remove newly emerged plants if they come up in undesirable locations. Give them to neighbors, friends or family - I'm sure they'd love them.

I did find that it can be pretty easy to over-fertilize, so be careful with that. I had several plants lose leaves within a week of being over-fed, but they bounced back pretty quickly after I flushed the soil as best I could. I didn't fertilize again for the rest of last season and they came back beautifully this season. In my research, I had read that they were heavy feeders, but that's probably once they establish after a year or two in the ground. Be conservative the first season.

I also found that *my* raspberries do well (maybe not best) with much less than full sun. My most productive and largest plant actually gets more shade than sun - maybe 2-3 hours of sun. With that said, I would guess that they would be much more productive and vigorous in full sun, but they should still tolerate quite a bit of shade.

Another very important note that I have read several times on trusted websites is that you should not plant red or golden varieties of raspberries within about 100 feet of black raspberries. While black raspberries are amazing, they are also relatively susceptible to fungal disease which can carry over to other varieties if they're planted in close proximity. Here is a snippit from Stark Bros., a well-respected source for not only great information, but some of the best bare root plants you can purchase online. STARK BROS - BLACK RASPBERRIES. I highly recommend.

Enjoy your raspberries and please keep us posted! They're easy and SO unbelievably delicious fresh off the plant - you won't even believe how good they are.
Thank you so much for your comments. I have some clay in my soil and drainage is not the best. My back yard is on the east side of my house with a fence enclosing the area. Do you ever prune the plants?

Old 05-04-2017, 08:14 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,685,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Thank you so much for your comments. I have some clay in my soil and drainage is not the best. My back yard is on the east side of my house with a fence enclosing the area. Do you ever prune the plants?
The general rule is that you prune previous season's dead cane in the spring. When the canes are productive, they're relatively pliable and "branch"-like, but once they've produced, they become woody and die off. It's obvious once new growth emerges in spring which canes need to be removed. Each spring, just wait for the plants to leaf out and remove anything that is dead and woody. In my area, that's right around now - my plants are fully leafed and already flowering and it is obvious which canes need to be removed. Piece of cake. It goes without saying that if you let your plants self-propagate and spread over the coming years (and who wouldn't want that?), the more work it will be each spring to remove old growth, but it's so worth it for those raspberries. Man, they're delicious.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:00 PM

23,519 posts, read 69,907,878 times
Stomp on the seeds, burn any plants that survive with a propane torch, pour cement over the area. You will still have raspberries. About the only thing that seems to slow them is constant mowing. I've probably got a couple of acres of them now.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:20 PM

4,528 posts, read 6,215,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Stomp on the seeds, burn any plants that survive with a propane torch, pour cement over the area. You will still have raspberries. About the only thing that seems to slow them is constant mowing. I've probably got a couple of acres of them now.
Raspberries or Blackberries ? I've never seen Raspberries do this, blackberries yes.....let me know where you are if they are indeed raspberries....I will come and pick those 2 acres !

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-04-2017, 07:48 PM

3,183 posts, read 2,443,493 times
I bought a few plants at a local nursery. I can't remember the two varieties. While hiking in the woods near our property I found plants growing wild. They were black raspberries, not blackberries. We dug a bunch up and transplanted to pots. Just waiting now for a spot to put them away from yellow and red ones. Next, I will try the purple. We also grow loganberries, blueberries and strawberries. Love our fruit.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:43 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,136,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Yep. I keep mine confined in raised stone terraces that I mow all around weekly. Do not plant raspberries until you have a containment strategy. They are also one of the least attractive edibles. Definitely a back yard plant if you want to remain on good terms with your neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden