U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 08:40 PM

3,995 posts, read 5,018,993 times

Advertisements

Interested in knowing what people are growing for the first time? Could be a new vegetable/fruit, or a new variety of one. Or, like me, grew it last year but never got anything to try, so trying it again and hoping for the best.

It would be great if you see something someone is growing for the first time that you have grown to comment on it, whether it be taste, growing habit, etc.

Also, would be nice to update your post once your edible has grown on how it did, tasted, would you grow it again, etc.

This year I am growing and (hopefully) eating the following for the first time, in no particular order:

Dwarf Artic Rose tomato
Shooting Stars eggplant
Jade Cross Brussel sprouts
White Cloud eggplant
Dwarf Sleeping Lady tomato
Dragon carrots
Rainbow blend of carrots
Borage
Lavewa spinach
Broccoli raab rapini
Icicle radish
Mini belle peppers
Chinese Kale
Lakota squash
Nasturtium
Lemon basil
Baby Persian cucumber
Chef's Choice Green tomato
Supriz tomato
Vorlon tomato
Grandmother Linderl tomato (I don't know if name is correct)
Virginia Sweet tomato
Emerald tomato
Dwarf Fred's Tie Dye tomato
Dwarf Golden Gypsy tomato
Collective Farm Woman melon
Kajari melon
Boteelch Samari melon (very sure I've massacred this name, will have to check it tomorrow)
Palav Kadu squash
Thai Rai Kau squash

I have quite a few other things I'm growing that came up last year but never materialized in anything that was edible, so trying it one more time. Some tomatoes, most all of the 16 melons I'm growing this year I never got to try last year and some winter squash, which last year the vine borers got in to big time. If they grow, most everything will be first time trying. It was a horrible year last year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 06:54 PM

481 posts, read 320,130 times
Purple string beans
Lilac peppers
Spearmint
Strawberries (though not technically new, but my plants are in the ground instead of containers this year).
Kale
Broccoli (failed last year; I think it was too hot at the time I planted).
Shishiito peppers

Old 05-07-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Purple string beans
Lilac peppers
Spearmint
Strawberries (though not technically new, but my plants are in the ground instead of containers this year).
Kale
Broccoli (failed last year; I think it was too hot at the time I planted).
Shishiito peppers
Thanks for sharing. What kind of kale are you growing?? I've never had success with broccoli. I decided to try the broccoli raab. The Chinese Kale is suppose to taste like sweet broccoli, so the package says. Lilac peppers look cool, love the color.

Best of luck on your garden this year!

Old 05-07-2017, 10:27 PM

40,999 posts, read 45,244,605 times
My friend just gave me a part of her crazy blackberry bush.
I'm hoping it goes nuts and gives us as many berries.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:47 PM

481 posts, read 320,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Thanks for sharing. What kind of kale are you growing?? I've never had success with broccoli. I decided to try the broccoli raab. The Chinese Kale is suppose to taste like sweet broccoli, so the package says. Lilac peppers look cool, love the color.

Best of luck on your garden this year!
Thank you!

I have one kale plant that's doing very well and one that's meh. Something nibbled my broccoli seedlings, but they're still growing.

How are all your plants doing?

Old 05-17-2017, 10:57 PM

142 posts, read 198,034 times
Mostly tomatoes, I got in on some very generous seed offers on a very big tomato forum and I got some unusual varieties. Some I am growing from seeds I got from tomatoes I bought at the farmers market, so at least I know what those ones taste like. Only 2 plants were bought later as seedings.

My new tomatoes this year:

Lithium Sunset
Pink Bumblebee
Pearly Pink Orange
Pineapple
Orange Russian 117
Green Zebra Cherry (maybe, if the only seedling that germinated, then got stepped on as soon as it was planted, survives, poor little plant)
Idaho Hillbilly
Pit Viper
Wherokowhai
New Big Dwarf
Dwarf Beauty King
Tennessee Suited
Chocolate Stripes
Girl Girl's Weird Thing
Indigo Cherry Drops
Reverend Michael Keyes
Cherokee Lime
Oxheart
Cosmonaut Volkov

Also new:

Little Marvel Peas
Parris Island Romaine Lettuce
And I planted seeds from those little sweet mini peppers you can buy in multi-color packs, I don't know if they'll grow true, but it should be fun.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:40 AM

11,870 posts, read 15,795,348 times
well I'm growing bush crop cucumbers and lil sumter cucumbers I'm new at both of these ...

Old 05-18-2017, 09:36 AM

65,018 posts, read 72,724,266 times
only 1 thing: I am trying to cut back but it isn't working too well. Every time I decide to stop growing something I seem to want to try just one more. This time it is thai peppers. At least I gave up on the squash and cukes.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
only 1 thing: I am trying to cut back but it isn't working too well. Every time I decide to stop growing something I seem to want to try just one more. This time it is thai peppers. At least I gave up on the squash and cukes.
LOL! I just said the exact thing about spinach to my BF! I keep trying, changing varities, but still doesn't do well for me!

Old 05-21-2017, 12:58 PM

8,857 posts, read 16,502,969 times
I bought seed for three different varieties of short day length onions. It will be interesting to see if they bulb up and actually make onions, most of them don't do that around here. If any of them do make bulbs, then I'll let them go to seed and plant more, although I've never actually grown onions before so not quite sure how the going to seed part will work out.

Next month there should be an excavator leveling off the upper back yard, then I can run a water line up there and plant a much more extensive garden. Hopefully by fall planting time, there will be a lot more varieties to get into the ground since there's seed for about two dozen varieties I've not grown before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden