U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 04:14 PM

142 posts, read 41,428 times

Advertisements

Anyone tried this? We just bought this along with tomatoes, busch beans, 2 kinds of peppers and I forgot the other one - these plants have yet to grow.

But the living salad bowl is ready to eat. It actually is good. Wow, my question is, is this all season long? I mean like in winter will it die and it won't grow? Like do we have to buy this like every summer then coz it dies in winter?

I googled and you can actually grow yourself if you want and it says it does not need much sunlight and grows all season long.

The one we have though was from Menard's. A bit pricey almost $14.

I like it though and can't wait for our other veggies to be harvested right in our backyard. I am not the gardener my husband is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 04:17 PM

8,447 posts, read 15,360,898 times
One of the most important pieces of information for any gardening post is left out here - where you live.

Lettuce is a cool season crop, it's already too late to grow it here in North Texas. I did grow some delicious lettuce up until a couple weeks ago.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:34 PM

590 posts, read 240,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwisita View Post
Wow, my question is, is this all season long? I mean like in winter will it die and it won't grow? Like do we have to buy this like every summer then coz it dies in winter?

I googled and you can actually grow yourself if you want and it says it does not need much sunlight and grows all season long.

The plants will die off in winter unless you live in a year-long gardening area or grow it in a greenhouse. Otherwise, yes, you have to plant it again next year.

Lettuce likes cool weather and takes less sun than tomatoes and other things you might want in your salad. I've always grown salad-type plants in different pots or directly in the ground rather than in one container, as the plants may have different needs for growing well.

But it is nice to go outside with a colander, fill it up with salad fixings, and take it back to the house for dinner.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:39 PM

I live in the 4 season state. But yeah it really is nice to just go outside and snip some salad into your bowl. Very good feeling indeed.

So this does not survive all year long then huh? If it does not, since I like it so much, I will let my husband read that grow your own living salad bowl I found and there's quite a few I saw online.

I remember the other one veggie now, it's a green bell pepper so we have 3 different peppers growing, oh well.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I live in the 4 season state. l.
Then you should be able to grow all year long, might have to replant some of them once in a while to freshen them up. Lettuce does like it cool and might need a bit of shade during the hottest part of the day.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Then you should be able to grow all year long, might have to replant some of them once in a while to freshen them up. Lettuce does like it cool and might need a bit of shade during the hottest part of the day.
Obviously in the winter it has to be inside by the window then? My husband hang it by the roof on the deck so it has some shade on the roof.

Nice to know we don't have to pay $14 every year for this salad bowl. Very nice.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Obviously in the winter it has to be inside by the window then? My husband hang it by the roof on the deck so it has some shade on the roof.

Nice to know we don't have to pay $14 every year for this salad bowl. Very nice.
Oh, I'm sorry...when you said you live in a 4-season state, I thought you meant you could grow in all four seasons.

Yes, it'll die back in the winter from cold, and the short days of winter won't give it enough sunlight to keep producing, so you'd likely need plant lights to keep it going in the winter. I mean, if you kept it in a constantly sunny window all day every day, it might get enough sun to keep producing, but it's not likely. I'd go with grow lights in the winter.

Just replant it every spring otherwise. You can go with seeds, which don't cost much, but even small nursery plants that are already started don't cost all that much.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:45 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,671,862 times
Quote:

I live in the 4 season state. But yeah it really is nice to just go outside and snip some salad into your bowl. Very good feeling indeed.

So this does not survive all year long then huh? If it does not, since I like it so much, I will let my husband read that grow your own living salad bowl I found and there's quite a few I saw online.

I remember the other one veggie now, it's a green bell pepper so we have 3 different peppers growing, oh well.
What is the 4 season state?

Old 05-17-2017, 03:14 AM

6,204 posts, read 10,440,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Oh, I'm sorry...when you said you live in a 4-season state, I thought you meant you could grow in all four seasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
What is the 4 season state?
This is why Debsi asked in the very 2nd post of this thread WHERE the OP lives. OP didn't answer except to call it a "4-season state" ... which can be interpreted in different ways, as shown in this thread!

OP, what state do you live in? We're not asking for your street address. (If you don't want to say the state, what's the gardening zone?)

Old 05-17-2017, 03:37 AM

8,857 posts, read 16,502,969 times
I guess I live in a no season state, we can grow veggies outside all year around. They are solar activated, though, so when there's less sun in the winter, they slow down a bit.

During the winter, we grow the manoa types of lettuce and other tender lettuces. During the summer, we grow butter crunch, romaine and red lettuces. The butter crunch, romaine and red lettuces handle heat much better than the manoa, green, iceberg and other tender types of lettuces.

Save the seeds from the last one to bolt and replant. Eventually, you'll have a type of lettuce perfectly suited to your area. Oh, if you're saving seed, start out with a non-hybrid and non-GMO seed. The heritage or open pollinated types are best for seed saving. Also if you have more than one type of lettuce flowering at the same time, they can cross pollinated and you'll have your own hybrid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden