U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 06:46 AM

738 posts, read 161,112 times

Advertisements

Think about edging it with silver plants that have a aura about them (like "silver mound", and lambs ears in the center (which have purply-pinkish flowers). The silvery fur of their leaves is breathtaking and these are plants that are hearty and will reliably look progressively more beautiful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 10:27 AM

10,076 posts, read 8,971,591 times
I'd probably consider an Heuchera with decorative leaves. These will do well in part sun and shade, and their leaves provide season long color. There are some nice yellow leaved plants. They will bloom in late spring or early summer, and when they do they look really interesting. But the beautiful leaves are the main attractions, and they will look nice spring through fall.

I prefer the brighter leaved versions more than the deep mahogany colored ones. Have a look at this site:

https://www.bluestoneperennials.com/...htext=heuchera

You can learn a lot from hanging out at the Brookstone Perennials site. I orders plants from them this spring and I was impressed by the stock and by the complete planting instructions. This is an established mail order nursery.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:59 PM

1,394 posts, read 435,790 times
Why not plant a variegated leaf hosta? You can buy hostas in a range of mature sizes, so you pick one that will fill the space in a few years. While waiting, you could plant a few shade loving annuals each spring.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:38 PM

184 posts, read 70,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Why not plant a variegated leaf hosta? You can buy hostas in a range of mature sizes, so you pick one that will fill the space in a few years. While waiting, you could plant a few shade loving annuals each spring.
I already have hostas and Japanese Painted ferns on the other side of the patio. Just looking for something a little different. In general, I'm not the biggest fan of perennial flowers because of the short bloom time.
IDK, maybe I'll look into annuals instead.

It shouldn't be this difficult to decide, right?

Old 05-19-2017, 02:11 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,040,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
I already have hostas and Japanese Painted ferns on the other side of the patio. Just looking for something a little different. In general, I'm not the biggest fan of perennial flowers because of the short bloom time.

IDK, maybe I'll look into annuals instead.

It shouldn't be this difficult to decide, right?
Browalia (blue/purple) is a lovely shade annual for the front of a border, and looks nice next to Japanese Painted Ferns... especially en masse.

Last edited by Vectoris; 05-19-2017 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 PM

17,455 posts, read 16,840,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
Beautiful flower. I want to say I've had red ones in a pot before.

Interesting flower - never heard of Bee Balm. Invasive how? Easily controlled with a little effort?

Thank you both for the link to or pics.
Mine wasn't invasive. More like average, and it didn't spread much. It's easy to control.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:02 AM

6,850 posts, read 15,340,491 times
Monarda/bee balm is part of the mint family, but way more polite. So many varieties - you could put high growers in the middle, with the miniatures on the edge. Minimal maintenance.

Another vote is hydrangea - more of a bush than a perennial, but it keeps giving.

Spiderwort will leave you with naked time between blooms. Also if you have a cat or dog, for some reason animals like to lounge in mine (that and my Iris beds).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden