U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 12:45 PM

591 posts, read 769,012 times

Advertisements

I have several Grass weeds like these ....They were large and had stem with seeds...I pulled all those with seeds and mowed the rest ....What is the best way to deal with these organically...I don't use roundup etc....I know about vinegar, but it is temporary, and this grows back...I can just dig it out leaving a 10-12 inch wide holes in the yard...Any other ideas ?
Attached Thumbnails
Large Grass weed-img_20170515_202242-872x872.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 02:51 PM

88 posts, read 62,844 times
I have some patches of this also. My plan is to dig them out, fill the hole with new soil, and put down some grass seed. Just have to get to it before it get too hot, otherwise I will wait to fall to do this.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:59 PM

8,367 posts, read 15,664,822 times
Looks like Guinea grass to me, but it could be almost any fast growing clumping grass. You could cut it way back like it is and then pour urea on it, although sometimes that can backfire and just encourage growth. I use a pickaxe to dig the stuff up by the roots. And then when it sprouts back from the roots I didn't get, pull those up. Good luck!

Around here we have something that looks like that and it can get to about eight to ten feet tall. Has kinda a feathery seed head, somewhat like sugar cane. Reznor, hmm, or is it elephant grass has sort of foxtail seed heads. The Guinea grass is the worst, though. It makes big thick clumps and has small hairlike stickers on it when it gets a mature leaf. Guinea grass is horrible to get rid of if it gets everywhere so get it while you can. I've had clumps of mature guinea grass choke the backhoe when I tried digging out a big clump, so get it while it's small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden