U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 03:30 PM

181 posts, read 121,176 times

Advertisements

I am in zone 6 in western Virginia and I bought 2 different varieties of hydrangea to plant alongside a deck that is part shade until noon then gets filtered sun for the remainder of the day and the soil here is a rich clay.

After reading some info on line, apparently the preferred sun time is opposite, morning sun, afternoon shade. I also read they need to be covered up for the winter?

I am now wondering if I should have purchased two small rhody's instead since they might be easier to keep alive and growing? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 04:35 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,984,038 times
Rhodies would probably have been the better choice.... I saw some outstanding, huge rhodies in western VA last weekend, however, my hydrangeas get no morning sun, filtered afternoon sun and bloom nicely. I do not cover them in winter, but I am in zone 7b. You are lucky to have rich clay.....I have poor clay!

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-19-2017, 10:51 PM

17,347 posts, read 16,699,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I am in zone 6 in western Virginia and I bought 2 different varieties of hydrangea to plant alongside a deck that is part shade until noon then gets filtered sun for the remainder of the day and the soil here is a rich clay.

After reading some info on line, apparently the preferred sun time is opposite, morning sun, afternoon shade. I also read they need to be covered up for the winter?

I am now wondering if I should have purchased two small rhody's instead since they might be easier to keep alive and growing? Thanks
I have one in 6b, and it's been fine. By fine, I mean that I had to fight to keep it alive for a few years. The soil wasn't great and we had a couple of hot, dry summers. I had to water it a lot and I mulched it well. I thought I'd lost it a couple of times during hard winters. It died to the ground and didn't flower. It's still here.

Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM

1,203 posts, read 472,192 times
All of my hydrangeas only get late afternoon sun and do just fine. Three are planted on the north side of my garage, and get zero sun until roughly 3:30ish. What you are trying to avoid in most cases of hydrangea growing is full bore sunlight at the hottest part of the day. Other than that they are pretty forgiving as long as they are fed, and get the proper amount of water. What I also do is plant hosta around them to help shade the ground. You'd be surprised how much you can cut back on watering by doing this.

Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM

5,875 posts, read 7,427,798 times
Regardless of Rich or Poor, clay will keep the roots too wet. You will really need to amend that to keep a rhode alive. My hydrangeas in De. in amended clay soil get virtually no sun til maybe 1 p.m.. They thrive and are never covered. I believe the key is the soil.

Old Today, 06:51 AM

6,818 posts, read 15,254,065 times
Your hydrangeas will do fine. It's all about amending the soil. Lots of humus, compost-like material, less clay, drainage a must. Don't work with clay when wet, you will create a cement barrier and inhibit the plant's growth. Most hydrangeas flower on old wood, so do be careful when pruning! Most of all, enjoy. I've just begun to experiment with new varieties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden