U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 03:00 PM

196 posts, read 1,651,180 times

Advertisements

Finishing up a redo on landscape and trying to finalize a solution on the gutter. I used to have a concrete splashpad under the gutter, but the water would wash away all the mulch and create a big mess. So I purchased this extension tubing to get the water past the mulch. It should work just fine as I have it, but itís a bit of an eyesore, though the plants may ultimately grow to conceal it some.

Iíve read this could be buried, but want it to remain effective at getting most of the water away from the house, though rains are infrequent here in Southern California. In my attached sketch, Iím thinking of lightly burying it, with the end spout exposed above the soil. The bulk of the water should shoot out. But I know there will be water remaining in the pipe, since it is not an incline. Was thinking some holes drilled along the bottom for seepage? Itís a ribbed tube anyways, so will always be some water inside to evaporate.

Any thoughts or proposals for execution?
Attached Thumbnails
Solution for gutter drain extension?-drain.jpg   Solution for gutter drain extension?-img_1553.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 04:42 PM

313 posts, read 171,602 times
If your soil is porous and drains well, you could install a length of pourous pipe. This will cause some of the water, or a light rain to be absorbed by the soil while the open end will allow heavy rain to push out the partially open end of the pipe.
The ultimate solution would be a buried galley with stone and then a pipe length as an overflow.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:44 PM

1,429 posts, read 775,610 times
Did you know they have flexible extensions that roll themselves OUT to dump out the water, then roll back UP again to the house?

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...43942474404415

Or there is this:

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...43942474404415

Old 05-18-2017, 06:33 PM

5,109 posts, read 7,405,107 times
There are those tube drains all over here. They are attached to the gutter and are buried for about 5-6 feet away from the house. Then you see the end of it come up. Works very well.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:53 PM

18,489 posts, read 22,786,193 times
Default Pop up emitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
Finishing up a redo on landscape and trying to finalize a solution on the gutter. I used to have a concrete splashpad under the gutter, but the water would wash away all the mulch and create a big mess. So I purchased this extension tubing to get the water past the mulch. It should work just fine as I have it, but itís a bit of an eyesore, though the plants may ultimately grow to conceal it some.

Iíve read this could be buried, but want it to remain effective at getting most of the water away from the house, though rains are infrequent here in Southern California. In my attached sketch, Iím thinking of lightly burying it, with the end spout exposed above the soil. The bulk of the water should shoot out. But I know there will be water remaining in the pipe, since it is not an incline. Was thinking some holes drilled along the bottom for seepage? Itís a ribbed tube anyways, so will always be some water inside to evaporate.

Any thoughts or proposals for execution?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-O7mIJb8nA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden