U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2017, 11:40 AM
 
25,456 posts, read 23,290,330 times
Reputation: 15316

Advertisements

Hello
I bought this darling little birdbath, for two reasons.
1. It's lighter than the concrete one I couldn't lift
2. I could lift this one.

Anyway, it is resin, and upon getting it home, it seems to me, that the wind will blow it over.

any creative ideas on what to do to keep it from blowing over?

thanks so much
Creme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2017, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,163 posts, read 10,585,610 times
Reputation: 9326
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hello
I bought this darling little birdbath, for two reasons.
1. It's lighter than the concrete one I couldn't lift
2. I could lift this one.

Anyway, it is resin, and upon getting it home, it seems to me, that the wind will blow it over.

any creative ideas on what to do to keep it from blowing over?

thanks so much
Creme
Take a wooden stake and drive it into the ground. Then set the base of your bird bath over the stake. If there is a big gap between the stake and the base; fill it in with crushed rock or dirt (the dirt could make the stake rot quicker). You could just fill the base, without the stake, and it would probably be stable.

PS Do not forget to empty and replace the water regularly in the new bath. Mosquito larva will quickly find the new breeding ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2017, 12:12 PM
 
25,456 posts, read 23,290,330 times
Reputation: 15316
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Take a wooden stake and drive it into the ground. Then set the base of your bird bath over the stake. If there is a big gap between the stake and the base; fill it in with crushed rock or dirt (the dirt could make the stake rot quicker). You could just fill the base, without the stake, and it would probably be stable.

PS Do not forget to empty and replace the water regularly in the new bath. Mosquito larva will quickly find the new breeding ground.
Thanks Fisheye, but the bottom of it, is closed
In other words, they poured the bottom of the pedestal closed, does that make sense?

Yes, promise to clean it every day....and keep the water shallow....I just can't figure how to secure it, so the wind doesn't blow it over.....I live in a valley, so the wind is constantly blowing.

any other ideas?

Oh and I forgot, I want to protect it, so the paint doesn't peel off, shall I spray it with some kind of UV protector?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2017, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,163 posts, read 10,585,610 times
Reputation: 9326
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Thanks Fisheye, but the bottom of it, is closed
In other words, they poured the bottom of the pedestal closed, does that make sense?

Yes, promise to clean it every day....and keep the water shallow....I just can't figure how to secure it, so the wind doesn't blow it over.....I live in a valley, so the wind is constantly blowing.

any other ideas?

Oh and I forgot, I want to protect it, so the paint doesn't peel off, shall I spray it with some kind of UV protector?
If the bottom is closed you could cut a hole in it with a hole saw (if you have one). If not and the top is open; then go back to my other suggestion of simply filling it with crushed rock so that it is heavy. They do the same with the plastic barriers on guard rails.

As far as paint; why not try one of the paints blended for plastics like: Sears.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2017, 12:29 PM
 
25,456 posts, read 23,290,330 times
Reputation: 15316
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If the bottom is closed you could cut a hole in it with a hole saw (if you have one). If not and the top is open; then go back to my other suggestion of simply filling it with crushed rock so that it is heavy. They do the same with the plastic barriers on guard rails.

As far as paint; why not try one of the paints blended for plastics like: Sears.com.
yanno what, the top twists off, I'll have to check to see if that is open, to put rocks in....
and thanks for the fusion idea...I'll look for it, I've heard those Krylon products are great.

Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2017, 12:53 PM
 
3,426 posts, read 2,127,574 times
Reputation: 7126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Oh and I forgot, I want to protect it, so the paint doesn't peel off, shall I spray it with some kind of UV protector?
I'm assuming your talking about the outside of the bird bath. I would not spray the inside where the water goes with anything. It could be toxic to the birds.

Occasionally, I'll scrub my bird baths out with vinegar if they're looking dirty even though I change the water every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2017, 01:08 PM
 
25,456 posts, read 23,290,330 times
Reputation: 15316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I'm assuming your talking about the outside of the bird bath. I would not spray the inside where the water goes with anything. It could be toxic to the birds.

Occasionally, I'll scrub my bird baths out with vinegar if they're looking dirty even though I change the water every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2017, 01:09 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,113 posts, read 17,658,319 times
Reputation: 22464
also cat liter works in the pedestal to hold it down as well as maybe play sand also ...good luck .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2017, 04:39 AM
 
25,456 posts, read 23,290,330 times
Reputation: 15316
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
also cat liter works in the pedestal to hold it down as well as maybe play sand also ...good luck .
OHHHH, that is a great idea....thank you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2017, 04:58 AM
 
10,418 posts, read 4,091,053 times
Reputation: 14643
Place a nice looking cleaned rock in the center of it. It gives the birdbath a more natural look and birds like to use it as a perch while visiting the bath. The added weight will prevent the bath from blowing over and the rock can easily be removed when you want to remove t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top