Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 03:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know a good place, besides HD and Lowes that sell house plants? I inherited a glass sun room and would like to fill it with house plants, but have not had any for about 25 years. In the other house, I made due with silk flowers and now I would like to get something real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 05:15 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Have you tried any of these Plant Nurseries in your Prescott area...

Watters Garden Center 1815 W. Iron Springs Road

Prescott Valley Nursery 6195 AZ-69

Mortimer Nursery & Landscape 3166 Willow Creek Rd,

Old 05-31-2017, 06:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Yes, but little itty bitty plants are very expensive. I guess I have not kept up with the times. Have not had house plants for a long while and even they have inflated prices these days. I might try the grocery stores.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:43 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
Also, check with your friends and neighbors. I have shared rootings and cuttings of my houseplants for years and the ones I have gotten from friends are some of my favorites!

Old 05-31-2017, 07:26 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Also, if you have Walgreen's back there, try it. I've gotten, recently, a beautiful and huge Aloe. Really cheap - 12.99 as I recall. I also often get geraniums there for my patio. Depends on the season, of course. Whenever I see potted plants there, I just pick a couple up. I never have luck with plants from KMart, but WalMart seems to be okay. I got Hybiscus there last year and they are still going strong.

Also, if you have a Farmer's Market, they often have deals.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:10 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
OP Contact the Alta Vista Garden Club, they may be able to assist you and give you some recommendations/referrals where to buy some quality plants in your area.
About | ALTA VISTA GARDEN CLUB, Prescott AZ | ALTA VISTA GARDEN CLUB

Old 06-01-2017, 06:35 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I was just at our local nurserys last weekend and I could not believe that they both had signs that read "Cash or Check only " I was like , what the heck is that now ? I stopped carrying my checkbook years ago and I don't carry a lot of cash on me . I use my cc or my bank card .. why are some places that do business still living in the 1950s ? a lady behind me had to put all of her picks back too because she said cash or check ? I don't have either . So apparently I am not the only one. but anyways yes prices have inflated at the local nurserys as well .

Old 06-01-2017, 07:42 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
What's wrong with HD or Lowes for housplants? They have a good variety as well as a guarantee, so what's the downside?

Old 06-01-2017, 08:17 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What's wrong with HD or Lowes for housplants? They have a good variety as well as a guarantee, so what's the downside?
I like Lowe's plants on their clearance racks. Some TLC usually brings them around. My son found hibiscus plants that were trained into a tree shape for $3.50 each. All the dead had been pruned out and they looked awful but turned into beautiful specimens.

Local sales are good for plants and pots, checkout garage sales and Craigslist. Civic group funddraiser and sales are a good source too, the local birding group has an annual plant sale along with garden groups. Our community association has a large yard sale inside and there are always plants, I got a small staghorn fern for $10.

My son and I exchange plant starts with each other and turn each other on to unusual nurseries or places where plants are sold. Last weekend I found a private individual that sells palm trees and cyads at wholesale prices. The trip there is worth it to see the tropical paradise he has developed with amazing plants, trees, flowers and sculptures throughout his yard.

To the OP, you may want to fill the room up with plants right now, but take your time and pick up plants as they become available if you don't want to put out a huge cash outlay all at once. The hunt can be a big part of the fun.

Whatever I pay for plants is less than the pot and soil I put them in.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-01-2017 at 08:35 AM..

Old 06-01-2017, 08:54 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I like Lowe's plants on their clearance racks. Some TLC usually brings them around. My son found hibiscus plants that were trained into a tree shape for $3.50 each. All the dead had been pruned out and they looked awful but turned into beautiful specimens.

Local sales are good for plants and pots, checkout garage sales and Craigslist. Civic group funddraiser and sales are a good source too, the local birding group has an annual plant sale along with garden groups. Our community association has a large yard sale inside and there are always plants, I got a small staghorn fern for $10.

My son and I exchange plant starts with each other and turn each other on to unusual nurseries or places where plants are sold. Last weekend I found a private individual that sells palm trees and cyads at wholesale prices. The trip there is worth it to see the tropical paradise he has developed with amazing plants, trees, flowers and sculptures throughout his yard.

To the OP, you may want to fill the room up with plants right now, but take your time and pick up plants as they become available if you don't want to put out a huge cash outlay all at once. The hunt can be a big part of the fun.

Whatever I pay for plants is less than the pot and soil I put them in.
So true about the cost of the pots, being a big issue. I think a lot of them are kind of unattractive too...garish.
I usually stick to plain terra cotta pots for a cohesive look, and they are inexpensive. Then I add a few festive ones, here and there.

I love getting finds off the plants clearance rack too! Not so much for annuals, but perennials after the flowers are spent can be had for a few dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden