Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:30 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,876 times

Advertisements

My friend just sent this to me, telling me it reminder her of me. It had me ROTFLMAO!!!!! I just had to share this!
Attached Thumbnails
What have you repurposed for your garden?-fot8154.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 07:37 AM

513 posts, read 867,991 times
I made a Wine Bottle Border for my garden. I went to the recycling center and grabbed about 25 bottles and made myself a border. I will be working on border #2 soon. I LOVE recycling

Old 06-17-2017, 09:37 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
My friend just sent this to me, telling me it reminder her of me. It had me ROTFLMAO!!!!! I just had to share this!
OH Hahahaha that is funny and so true.

Speaking of paint. Yesterday I did spray paint the iron wagon wheel and just leaned it against the house in my dog yard patio for decor. then all night with my window open I kept smelling some thing forgetting I had done the spray paint. It was not registering as the paint in my sleepy brain. Finally this morning I realized what I had done. DOH on me. You would think I could recognize paint smell.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant08 View Post
I made a Wine Bottle Border for my garden. I went to the recycling center and grabbed about 25 bottles and made myself a border. I will be working on border #2 soon. I LOVE recycling
Love that idea. elephant. I bet they are pretty in the sun.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant08 View Post
I've seen that done online but would love to see how you did it, if you could post some pictures!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
OH Hahahaha that is funny and so true.

Speaking of paint. Yesterday I did spray paint the iron wagon wheel and just leaned it against the house in my dog yard patio for decor. then all night with my window open I kept smelling some thing forgetting I had done the spray paint. It was not registering as the paint in my sleepy brain. Finally this morning I realized what I had done. DOH on me. You would think I could recognize paint smell.
LOL...at my age, that would be typical for me not to remember without being in a sleep state!

Old 06-18-2017, 05:37 AM

Would love to see what people have to repurposed but don't know what it could become and get insight and suggestions from there there's.

My sister got me a heavy rolled metal headboard. Obvious thing to do is a pea/vine treliis but would like to try to think outside the box for something unusual for its use but my mind is stuck in the box. I see people using them for a bench, no interest in them. I have a twin size headboard in the ground already, ready to hold up some dahlias.

Welcome any ideas!!!

Old 06-18-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Would love to see what people have to repurposed but don't know what it could become and get insight and suggestions from there there's.

My sister got me a heavy rolled metal headboard. Obvious thing to do is a pea/vine treliis but would like to try to think outside the box for something unusual for its use but my mind is stuck in the box. I see people using them for a bench, no interest in them. I have a twin size headboard in the ground already, ready to hold up some dahlias.

Welcome any ideas!!!
Well I have them all over my yard. I have used several as gates. Even the heavy ones. Fences. Leaning decor against my kitty kennel. I put one up on tall posts stuck in the bottom of each leg at the top of my dog yard fence. The ground slopes and the fence gets very short at this point so I blocked it with the head board or maybe mine is a foot board for that spot.

Since you do have two maybe side braces for a big walk through trellis. would involve a lot of work to do that. I am all about easy garden junk. LOL

I have not looked maybe Pinterest has some more out of the box ideas. I suppose most will just be the flower bed options.

Today I am re-purposing some old tin to roof my cat walk and high rise kitty kennel. I am using my electric metal /tin snips and it is going well so far. I have two more or maybe three more cuts to make.Need to do some math. LOL First time using them my hubby always did this for me. So glad he bought them though as I never could have done it with the regular tin snips with my arthritis.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:53 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Quote:
LOVE this. Would be wonderful in the garden if you have no room in your house for it.
I definitely want to put it out there -- just have to rust-proof it first I think. I have a TON of work to do in the front yard but I am working insane hours right now -- it will quiet down in about a week and a half so I can be out there again.

Quote:
I really like that piece! You need to get some little Playskool people and put them on some of the seats.
That is so funny, when I had it in the bay window at my last house I put a few Liddle Kiddles on the seats. (Those were my favorite dolls when I was a child in the '60s and '70s.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I suggest some little battery operated string lights for at night when she puts it in either the garden or get a table in front of a window and then attach the people and the string lights . I know I enjoy my string lights at night and they are around my potted plants in the house ....great minds think alike
String lights would look really pretty! I can envision some lovely holiday lighting. Hmmm ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
Heart be still - I don't usually steal peoples' lawn items but I may have to make an exception here. Not steal your idea - just flat out steal your ferris wheel. THAT IS SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(I really won't steal it but honestly, what a tremendously cool piece, indoors or out. Just read about the first Ferris Wheel by George Ferris himself (or the largest or whatever) that he had for the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. Can only imagine how awesome that was to people. I love to look at them - will not get on one....but love to look.

Anyway, beautiful! I would sit in front of your house all day and just enjoy the view.
Awww, thanks! I have to say, I felt the same way about it when I saw it in the Pottery Barn catalog many years ago -- there's just something so "old-timey" and fun about it. Alas, like most PB decorative items, it was ridiculously expensive. So I waited, and waited, and waited, and finally got it on sale. I loved it in the bay window but I have none of those here! So hopefully it will work in the garden.

I HAVE hesitated a bit worrying about theft, but I live in a middle- to upper-middle-class neighborhood and often leave my car and garage unlocked (I know, I know ...) -- in >5 years here I've had zero issues. And lots of neighbors have wonderful garden items, so I think it will be OK out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I am addicted to garden art and repurposing. Thank you, everyone for posting your treasures! Have any of you been on Pinterest? They have tons of beautiful ideas for gardens and repurposing.
I have to avoid Pinterest ... because if I go there, the next thing I know it's 5 hours later and all I've done is browse from page to page to page, LOL!! It is so addictive!

OP, thanks for starting this thread ... it is really fun. I love seeing and reading about what others have done!

Old 06-18-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Well I have them all over my yard. I have used several as gates. Even the heavy ones. Fences. Leaning decor against my kitty kennel. I put one up on tall posts stuck in the bottom of each leg at the top of my dog yard fence. The ground slopes and the fence gets very short at this point so I blocked it with the head board or maybe mine is a foot board for that spot.

Since you do have two maybe side braces for a big walk through trellis. would involve a lot of work to do that. I am all about easy garden junk. LOL

I have not looked maybe Pinterest has some more out of the box ideas. I suppose most will just be the flower bed options.

Today I am re-purposing some old tin to roof my cat walk and high rise kitty kennel. I am using my electric metal /tin snips and it is going well so far. I have two more or maybe three more cuts to make.Need to do some math. LOL First time using them my hubby always did this for me. So glad he bought them though as I never could have done it with the regular tin snips with my arthritis.

You've definitely found a lot of uses for headboards.

I don't have 2 of the same...well, I do of the gold brass one, but the one my sister got me is just a single one. I can barely lift it, it's that heavy. It would take some really strong support to hold it upright. It would definitely cost more then the couple bucks she spent on it. I don't really need it for the garden, but she went to all the trouble to get it to my Mom's house when she was on vacation here. It's really nice - will have to try and get a picture, maybe that would help with coming up with an idea.

Hope you got your tin project done!!! Your kitty must love it's condo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

I HAVE hesitated a bit worrying about theft, but I live in a middle- to upper-middle-class neighborhood and often leave my car and garage unlocked (I know, I know ...) -- in >5 years here I've had zero issues. And lots of neighbors have wonderful garden items, so I think it will be OK out there.

I have to avoid Pinterest ... because if I go there, the next thing I know it's 5 hours later and all I've done is browse from page to page to page, LOL!! It is so addictive!

OP, thanks for starting this thread ... it is really fun. I love seeing and reading about what others have done!

I repurposed an old Power Wheels jalopy. I picked it up at the flea market. It didn't work, was missing a headlight, just in rough shape. I made it a planter. One of the plastic milk crates fit inside of it perfectly. I lined the crate, added dirt and put in tulip bulbs and set it inside. For the headlights I put 2 round solar lights and it would light up at night. I put it near the street in my yard, it was so cute. I didn't worry about someone taking it, I live on a cul de sac with only 6 houses on my street...it didn't last too long. Some idiot stole it, but threw out the crate. I was so pissed! My suggestion would be to somehow stake it down in a way it would be very hard for someone to take.

Here's a link to the thread I posted with a picture of the car:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/44507415-post20.html

I don't like Pinterest, it's hard enough for me to find time to be on the computer, it's just another waste of time to me. I don't do FB either, another waste of time IMHO. I know, I'm the exception instead of the rule.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
You've definitely found a lot of uses for headboards.

I don't have 2 of the same...well, I do of the gold brass one, but the one my sister got me is just a single one. I can barely lift it, it's that heavy. It would take some really strong support to hold it upright. It would definitely cost more then the couple bucks she spent on it. I don't really need it for the garden, but she went to all the trouble to get it to my Mom's house when she was on vacation here. It's really nice - will have to try and get a picture, maybe that would help with coming up with an idea.

Hope you got your tin project done!!! Your kitty must love it's condo!

I repurposed an old Power Wheels jalopy. I picked it up at the flea market. It didn't work, was missing a headlight, just in rough shape. I made it a planter. One of the plastic milk crates fit inside of it perfectly. I lined the crate, added dirt and put in tulip bulbs and set it inside. For the headlights I put 2 round solar lights and it would light up at night. I put it near the street in my yard, it was so cute. I didn't worry about someone taking it, I live on a cul de sac with only 6 houses on my street...it didn't last too long. Some idiot stole it, but threw out the crate. I was so pissed! My suggestion would be to somehow stake it down in a way it would be very hard for someone to take.

Here's a link to the thread I posted with a picture of the car:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/44507415-post20.html

I don't like Pinterest, it's hard enough for me to find time to be on the computer, it's just another waste of time to me. I don't do FB either, another waste of time IMHO. I know, I'm the exception instead of the rule.
They do not have to match. Very few of mine match.

I LOVe the car. I am so sorry some one walked off with it.

I agree with Pinterest. Some times when I can not sleep I go there. Otherwise I try to stay away.

Yes I did get the tin on the roofs and painted. Now working on painting the underside of the dog shelter roof because it looked yucky. too hot to paint right now so inside working on my mosaic. I also painted the second coat on the purple trellis I got from the dump. I decided to just do it and so happy I did. Going to look great with the morning glories on it.
Attached Thumbnails
What have you repurposed for your garden?-6-19-17-purple-trellis.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden