U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:58 AM

11,956 posts, read 27,155,460 times

Advertisements

Eldemila, I'd be surprised if you don't also have chamberbitter in SC, it has been of the most annoying weeds here on the gulf coast for years. They look like little mimosa trees and produce tons of seeds. There's simply no way to get ahead of them, especially if you have a large yard, I think next year I may buy some pre emergent to experient with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 10:12 AM

8,887 posts, read 11,762,573 times
Coastal Farm Supply here carries 50lb salt granules for water softeners.
$5.20 a bag.
Spread granules anywhere you do NOT want anything to grow.
Takes time, works great. Actually, works for about a year.
100% safe and no toxins.
Saturated solution of same salt will do same, but lasts less.
They put this salt under asphalt here, when doing residential driveways, as growth preventer.
Ok, too much of dead everything? Spot kill. Steam. Portable steamer. Cooks weeds.

Folks that live in Pac NW know a thing or two about dandelions. That little 'diamond" tool is a joke. Too much work down to the ground.

Weed Zinger Stand-Up Weeding Tool with Spring Release-ZNG-1001 - The Home Depot

I shall vouch for a tool of this type - there are few designs around - as ROOTS pulling weed removal tool to anyone. They are AWESOME.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:36 PM

1,989 posts, read 761,671 times
I decided peaceful co-existence is the best strategy. The wild thyme has nice flowers. Creeping charlie stayed green all summer. It's a matter of natural selection - if it gets too tall, mowing hits it, so the low growers are what survives. Since you can't see my yard from the road, no one would even notice if I had the prettiest grass, so I don't bother.

I will add that mowing too low gives low growing weeds an advantage. I mow to 3", so the grass shades out a lot of things.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:52 PM

3,126 posts, read 1,503,645 times
I am pretty laid-back -- maybe lazy? -- about weeds. I make them a deal: you don't get too crazy with growth and I won't get too crazy with pulling you out. However, should I feel that you are depriving my precious daylilies or any other plant I love of nutrients, I reserve the right to unceremoniously yank you out. Which is what I had to do this morning in 2 spots. Unfortunately, they were more overgrown than I would like, and I had to dig up the daylilies to get all the roots of the weeds. But the daylilies are back in the soil, and the weeds are gone. At least around those 2 daylilies. LOL I have about 100 daylilies.

I suspect what I call my "lawn" is actually 75% or more "weeds". As long as I mow it, it looks like "lawn". Good enough for me.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:54 PM

3,126 posts, read 1,503,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yesterday I got myself a new tool for weeding the gardens. It's called a Diamond Hoe. Today, a weeding job that would ordinarily take me about 12 to 16 hours of back breaking work to do on a very rough patch of woody, deep rooted weeds was completed in only 4 hours with no great physical effort on my part, and no bending or pulling, and just a little bit of raking. You just slide the diamond head of the hoe back and forth beneath the soil line. It gets into tight spaces and was so easy, so slick, it slices through weed roots and up-roots plants like a hot knife slicing through butter. I am so impressed. I don't know who the genius was that invented this razor sharp style of hoe but whoever it was deserves some kind of Nobel prize for gardening tool inventions.
The weeds in my garden take slicing off at the root as a challenge. A throwing down of the garden gauntlet, as it were. As long as there is some root left, they will return. With a vengeance. So when I am serious about getting them out, I have to dig out the roots.

I do like a hoe for weeding younger weeds that are more easily discouraged. I have a handheld hoe that works great on young chickweed.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:26 PM

4,231 posts, read 7,835,751 times
I appreciate anyone who declares war on weeds. I will try anything to rid my yard of these pests: mowing them, eating them, pulling them, and applying herbicide. I've been fairly successful in ridding my yard of broadleaf weeds and now I'm trying to get the grassy weeds (and losing).

I read the comment about using Image - I tried that for nutsedge and someone here at CD commented that I'd be the first if it worked - they were right.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:41 AM

977 posts, read 332,761 times
Alexander the Great and guys like that used to "salt the fields" of enemies they particularly disliked. If you apply enough salt to be effective, it may take a while for it to dilute away.

It's said that nothing will ever re-grow were Diesel fuel has been applied, but I accidentally found out that Creeping Charlie apparently has no regard for that saying. (I have mixed feelings about Creeping Charlie-- it's so invasive but the bumble bees just love it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
I decided peaceful co-existence is the best strategy. The wild thyme has nice flowers.
Maybe that's the best attitude: make the best of a bad situation.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:02 AM

864 posts, read 403,120 times
I had Creeping Charlie bad at one place we lived. Problem was our bad drainage in the area and our swales were usually damp or wet all summer. It would grow from there and come up and invade the yard. I declared war and every couple weeks would go out and pull it up. It has a long long tap root so I'd go around with my hose at a trickle and soften the dirt and get it all up, roots and all. Well there was so much, even as I pulled it all up it had choked out all the grass.

Now at this place my husband has declared we will not have a bad lawn like that place was. He pulls every little weed, every week on our 1/2 acre. Little close-growing clover like something tries to spread and take over. Several times we tried sprays of different kinds, ended up having to resod several big sections because it killed the grass too. Not fun. Now we have basically nothing but grass and it is beautiful but takes hours every week to keep it like that.

Where is the happy medium? And the easy way to keep it that way. We tried one of those chemical companies which came with their truck...but he killed all my tomato plants with overspray. Boy was I mad. If my neighbors would pull their weeds, that might help. I don't know the answer...

Old 10-23-2017, 02:10 PM

1,448 posts, read 406,671 times
My neighbors poison all their weeds and there's no question you can see a clear line where their property ends and mine begins. But does any of that weedlessness cross the line? Not a speck. My drainage ditch is full of creeping charlie, which is on my list to pull out. I don't mind it because it beats a dirt ditch and still lets the water drain, but being a weed, at some point it will take napalm and a grave digger to remove it and I don't want to wait until then.

I also love bees and hate poison, so my evil plan is that every large rooted broadleaf weed I get out, I sprinkle some mini clover seeds there. If I were able to get ahead of anything here, ever, I would do this to the entire property, one square foot at a time.

I just spent most of the month of October on my knees digging up and out (of what was once a nice rose garden) goldenrod, weed grasses by the ton, milkweed (no one told me milkweed has roots like a tree), tiger (ditch) lilies, and dozens upon dozens upon dozens of bulbs the previous owner planted all among the roses: gladiolas, lilies of four types, narcissus of 12 types at least, tulips. I've met every bug in the state and pulled a ton of weed roots off the foundation of my house. What I have to show for it is 6 rosebushes, desperately in need of attention, in a big swath of dirt. I fed them, I watered them, and I'm going to cover the dirt in layers of newspaper with a possible top of weed cloth and figure out, based on what lives, what to do in spring.

So one planting bed down, many more to go, and oh, yeah, the lawn.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:09 PM

4,107 posts, read 5,130,649 times
Sorry, have been MIA, and that's not Miami, but in the garden. First snow today, the cold has me in, for the time being.

My war on weeds continues, especially as the winter weeds have been waking up and emerging.

My focus of late has been the wild garlic. I thought they were wild onions, but I believe they are garlic. Whatever they are, they annoy me to no end, and they stink! Each and every year they drive me nuts. I dug out a bunch last year, but they weren't on my target list, so it surely didn't make much of an impact with all I have.

This past couple weeks when I've been able to be in the yard, these wild garlic have been my target. Just when you think there can't be one more bunch, there's 10 more I lost count after the 6th 5 gallon bucket I've filled with these! I've focused more on my front yard, but have also tackled some in my back yard.

I've been using my cobra head to dig up the clumps. I don't get them all, with some of them breaking off which leaves the bulbs in the ground. I stick my finger in the hole, much like a proctologist and dig out whatever I can. Some that I wasn't able to get all of them out a couple weeks ago have grown, and since the soil is already loose, I've been able to get them. For sure, I will never be able to get them all, and I'm sure more clumps will spring up, but for now, I think I have gotten very major clump in my front yard!

I was reading a website that says it can take anywhere from 4-6 years to get rid of them if one is diligent. I'm up for the challenge. I think I may try to fill the holes I've made with something that could help the ones I haven't gotten from growing, if needed. It will be interesting to see what springs up that I will be pulling up in the near future.

Here's another interesting website that's about wild garlic that's very informative!

https://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery...ld_garlic.html

Chick weed is coming up, as well as the Henbit, along with others. Those will be next on the list to tackle (again) this year.

Will the war ever end...no, it won't, I know that. But the war continues, and I'm not ready to wave the white flag. Maybe wipe my sweaty face with it, or wipe my dirty hands with it, but I'm not giving up the fight, not just yet.

Thanks to all who've continued to reply to this thread. Will keep you posted!

Last edited by Eldemila; 12-08-2017 at 08:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden