U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 08:33 PM

3,303 posts, read 6,490,532 times

Advertisements

Are wild garlic edible like regular supermarket garlic? Never seen one in my yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 08:05 AM

4,126 posts, read 5,152,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Are wild garlic edible like regular supermarket garlic? Never seen one in my yards.
I hear they are edible, but nothing I would bother trying. These bulbs are so tiny. I think what people may eat are the top greens. I think I read they clip them like chives. To me they're a nuisance, not a nosh.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:35 AM

1,511 posts, read 424,839 times
Maybe they're garlic chives. I have them, too, so I think we can't live too far apart, but mine smell oniony to me. I have other things I ripped out by the billions in warmer weather re-emerging, too, along with some poor misguided bulb plant that decided to appear above ground in December. Ha ha, it got snowed on. I was waiting to get a day and get out with the hand fork and just toss up the surface and rake out anything green. And I know the snow will have zero effect on any of this stuff. I have one bed that was all soil and some rosebushes, few lilies and tulips on one end. I was wondering if I put sheets of newspaper on top, wet them, and made a few layers, would that keep the stuff from re-growing? It doesn't have to look lovely, it has to keep weeds out of the rose bed and I can deal with ground cover in spring.

First chore I have planned in spring is to get inside the fenced bit of yard (previously the dog yard) and dig up all the broadleafs and spread mini clover seed. I have moss seed, too, since it's not the sunniest bit of ground.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Maybe they're garlic chives. I have them, too, so I think we can't live too far apart, but mine smell oniony to me.
Yes, they smell like onions. Yours could actually be onions. You can smell them a mile away when cutting yards.

We had snow this weekend but most of it melted by this afternoon. I was out just to see if any had emerged. OMG, I was out there and found some small patches I must have missed as well as some emerging ones that I must of missed in the previous patches I pulled out.

What amazes me is for every single one you pull out, it seems there are 5 bulbs below it that are not growing yet. I can see where this will take years to do. I know I've made a major dent in this, but not sure how it's going to be long term. The patches are somewhat easy to see, but these single ones, impossible.

I will keep an eye out by next week to see what else emerges and then remove as needed.

The war continues!

Old 12-12-2017, 06:05 AM

58,443 posts, read 40,946,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I think I've got every type of weed that has ever lived! Okay, maybe it's not THAT bad, but maybe every weed that's ever lived in SC!?! I have learned the names of weeds like never before. I've gotten quite good at knowing what weeds I happen to own.

I have a 3/4 acre lot. I've lived in this house about 7 years. When I first moved in there was 2 gangly looking rose plants and some ugly mature trees. It amazed me that for a house that was built in the last 60's there was no foliage to speak of. But boy, was there weeds, and poison ivy. LOTS and LOTS of poison ivy on this lot! That was one of my first tasks, getting rid of the PI. It took 3-4 years, but I am happy to say, I don't have any PI in my yard.
Nice work on the PI... I got the same issue here, with the "War On Weeds". After a long 5 yrs of battles I decided it was time to drop the MOAB on them. RoundUp 365. Happy to report, I'm winning the war now. lol. Do not use around shrubs, gardens, or lawns! But feels nice to not worry or need to pull them in many areas anymore.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:09 AM

4,232 posts, read 7,848,354 times
Better living through chemistry!

My war on weeds is going well; this year I applied lots of pre-emerge and a weed killer that worked really well. I've only got a few tough crabgrass-like patches and then I still have to weed around trees, shrubs, and beds. This spring I'll apply both the pre-emerge and weed killer to get ready for fertilizing this summer. This might be the best year ever for my lawn!

Old 12-12-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice work on the PI... I got the same issue here, with the "War On Weeds". After a long 5 yrs of battles I decided it was time to drop the MOAB on them. Happy to report, I'm winning the war now. lol. Do not use around shrubs, gardens, or lawns! But feels nice to not worry or need to pull them in many areas anymore.
It is soooo nice not to worry about Pi anymore. I had 3 pieces pop up in yard this past year, 2 I was able to dig up with a shovel, one had to spray since it was within some brush piled on and around it. If you had any idea how much PI I bought as part of buying this house, you would be clapping for me!!! OK...thumbs up will suffice.

There is a sense of great satisfaction for me to tackle something this big and actually win with the PI. Second came the dandelions, and look-a-likes, and I won that battle. I won't know if I won the battle with the ground lespedezia until spring/summer.

When your neighbors are having to mow their lawns every other week due to weeds and you can go 5 weeks (would be more if I can get rid of this Bahia or Bermuda grass) it just makes one smile!!

All my neighbors have the green garlic in their yards and they will continue to have them. They are done cutting their grass for the season, and being these are a winter type weed, they are left untouched, and continue to grow, and multiply.

Yard needs a lot of work, leveling, patching, weeding. But each year, it does look better and I'm hopeful. It will never be weed-free 100% but at the very least it will look like a fairly well kept yard and that's fine with me.

Old Today, 03:44 PM

1 posts
Greetings from Sonoma county. I have two main plans of attack in my war, one involves keeping the garden as clean as possible, hoeing the beds where practical, and a semi-weekly (2x per week) attack and pull. Something seems to be going right as the beds all seem to be manageable with just my wife and I. I love my 3 tined hand cultivator, works a treat to get the soil loose and is easy to work around the "keepers".

My secret weapon is the Bernz-o-matic ([url]https://www.bernzomatic.com/Products/Hand-Torches/Automatic-Ignition/JT850[/url]) which I use to kill sprouts in my driveway and BBQ the ever encoaching bermuda grass along one fence.
Rake up all debris first!
Never use on a windy day.
Wear stout shoes. It really helps control our hen bane as it fries the seeds (you can hear them pop) and purslane sprouts. I also use this torch for edging the lawn - it leaves a nicely defined 2 inch "dead zone" which, once established, is easy to maintain. (The lawn is really a patch of clover and bermuda grass which we never water, I'm slowly reclaiming that for veg. )

I'm ever so careful, especially after the wildfires here this fall, but with common sense and waiting for the right conditions, it works well. (We never realized a neighborhood could burn like a forest, but it really can happen!)

Keeping the gravel driveway clear is also aided by using straight white vinegar and some dish soap in the pump sprayer. Applied on a sunny day, it will kill most everything we have problems with (as well as our favourites, one must be careful). There seems to be a good mix with the spray and the sun, most effective. Things smell like a salad bar for a day or so, but no harm to the birds and bees. One gallon will easily cover a 20x20 area.

With eternal vigilance and dirty fingernails, we will prevail!

Old Today, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergneri View Post
Greetings from Sonoma county. I have two main plans of attack in my war, one involves keeping the garden as clean as possible, hoeing the beds where practical, and a semi-weekly (2x per week) attack and pull. Something seems to be going right as the beds all seem to be manageable with just my wife and I. I love my 3 tined hand cultivator, works a treat to get the soil loose and is easy to work around the "keepers".

My secret weapon is the Bernz-o-matic (https://www.bernzomatic.com/Products...Ignition/JT850) which I use to kill sprouts in my driveway and BBQ the ever encoaching bermuda grass along one fence.
Rake up all debris first!
Never use on a windy day.
Wear stout shoes. It really helps control our hen bane as it fries the seeds (you can hear them pop) and purslane sprouts. I also use this torch for edging the lawn - it leaves a nicely defined 2 inch "dead zone" which, once established, is easy to maintain. (The lawn is really a patch of clover and bermuda grass which we never water, I'm slowly reclaiming that for veg. )

I'm ever so careful, especially after the wildfires here this fall, but with common sense and waiting for the right conditions, it works well. (We never realized a neighborhood could burn like a forest, but it really can happen!)

Keeping the gravel driveway clear is also aided by using straight white vinegar and some dish soap in the pump sprayer. Applied on a sunny day, it will kill most everything we have problems with (as well as our favourites, one must be careful). There seems to be a good mix with the spray and the sun, most effective. Things smell like a salad bar for a day or so, but no harm to the birds and bees. One gallon will easily cover a 20x20 area.

With eternal vigilance and dirty fingernails, we will prevail!

Welcome to CD, and thanks for replying to this thread!

I have thought about using one of the weed burners on my weeds but wondered if I needed another garden tool??? I'd also be afraid the front yard would catch on fire with all the grass that's gone brown and dormant. Wish I could say the same for the weeds that are growing.

I have a gravel walkway as well. It' hell to pull out tiny weeds that are coming up. I'll have to try the vinegar and soap on a day we aren't going to have any rain so it won't wash in to areas where it could kill my garden plants.

Thanks for the tips!!

I am seeing why it takes years to control the wild garlic. I had gotten all the patches up in my front yard. Two days later, I find about 8 patches in an area that there were none just a couple days before, so it seems they are still coming up I know I've made a positive dent in the front yard, and I guess time will tell. I'll go out this weekend and see what can be found. Cross fingers!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden