U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 12:39 AM

2,684 posts, read 962,344 times

Advertisements

I am going to poison the poison ivy. There's not too much of it, all at the edge of a wooded bit at the edge of the property, and I'd like to keep it at bay. So while I haven't put a chemical of any kind anywhere else, is there something that will kill poison ivy if I apply it directly to the part of the plant I can see? I want as specific as possible murder and will just keep digging and tilling and planting clover elsewhere.

Mini clover is fantastic! I had a patch of dead dirt that I could barely disturb the surface it was so hard, and I sprinkled mini clover seed and kept it watered and it's lush and green now. Last year's clover is flowering this year and I'm still replacing crabgrass with clover.

Back to the death subject, I also have milkweed and the roots on that are terrifying. I dug miles of them and continue to dig in the rose bed when any pops up - the smallest bit of root will grow - and large shoots are turning up in the lawn in front. Is there any weed murdering substance that will kill the monstrous roots if applied to the growth above-ground? I don't know if I can dig up the whole front lawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 09:18 PM

4,539 posts, read 5,826,922 times
WOW! It's been almost a year since my last post on this forum. The war continues!!!!

Last year I went after the ground lespedeza. This summer, I had a good amount, but none were as thick rooted or as big as the ones from the year before. Probably what grew from last years seeds. I've pulled a lot of them, all by hand. This is all in my front yard, forget the back, that's for next year. I would say, as of today, I've gotten 95% of them?

This year, I had maybe 5 dandelion/cat's ears to pull up in my entire yard! YES! I've won that war. This fall/winter, I will see how well I did with the wild garlic last year - fingers crossed. I know I will get some, there's no doubt, but with the thousands upon thousands I pulled last year, I know I made a dent in it.

While my neighbors have to cut their grass at least every 2 weeks, and it's really the weeds, not the grass that needs to be cut, I can go a month. If not for the junk grass, I could go longer. My wish for Xmas is to have my centipede run!!!!!

My grass does look a heck of a lot better, but I have a long way to go. I have centipede, but I also have a lot of Bermuda grass in it, which, I hope, to get rid of one day - maybe by the time I'm 70! I hope that as my centipede get's healthier, it may choke out the Bermuda. Does anyone know if this is a possibility, or a wish that never will be granted?

Has anyone tried to put in plugs before winter, and before the centipede grass goes dormant? Wonder if it would take, or die during the winter.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:57 PM

484 posts, read 128,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I am going to poison the poison ivy. There's not too much of it, all at the edge of a wooded bit at the edge of the property, and I'd like to keep it at bay. So while I haven't put a chemical of any kind anywhere else, is there something that will kill poison ivy if I apply it directly to the part of the plant I can see?
Yes there is, and you have several options.

I have a poison ivy problem, courtesy of a neighbor who doesn't effectively control theirs. They don't use chemicals because they have chickens who forage in the yard. I had a service come in this spring and they sprayed RazorPro on all visible poison ivy. RazorPro is 41% glyphosate, also known as RoundUp. The ready to use regular RoundUp sold in stores is only a fraction of that and is not strong enough to kill P.I. You'd have to buy the concentrate and mix it with water in order to get at least 41% concentration. Some people don't like to use glyphosate. Personally I've found that something else works better. Also, Razorpro/Roundup takes about 2 weeks to show any effects on poison ivy plants.

For regular weeds I use Spectracide with is a "diquat" herbicide. Works great for me in my climate and you see results by the next day. It is not strong enough for poison ivy though, but it will work fine on milkweed.

On poison ivy and wild blackberry and bittersweet (yes I am battling all three) I use Bayer Poison Ivy and Brush Killer which is triclopyr. The ready to use formula will kill poison ivy and you'll see results in a few days rather than weeks. Recently I switched to buying the concentrate and I mix it up to be about 30% stronger than the ratio found in the ready to use. You can buy a 1-gallon container of the ready to use, try that and then once that is used up, buy the concentrate and mix it a little stronger than the directions say.

(Regular strength Bayer Poison Ivy Killer is the only thing I have found that will kill the Genghis Khan of perennial plants: Chameleon plant, Houttonyia cordata. It laughs at Roundup and sneers at Spectracide. Tryclopyr will do it in, though. I hope. This is my first year using it on Houttonyia and I know it will take at least 2 or 3 years to get rid of the horrible stuff.)

As a veteran of the weed wars I caution you that you WILL be finding poison ivy plantlets in the grass near where the original stand is. Get in the habit of watching the ground ahead of you when you walk there. Some people claim that poison ivy can't survive weekly mowing but it definitely does! And you don't want to be touching the bottom of your shoes that have just stepped on a small poison ivy plant. I have found plantlets 10 or 15 feet away from where I originally spray/killed the main one. Zap every plantlet you see with the Bayer Brush Killer and check for them on a weekly basis all through the growing season. You will be amazed at how many plantlets you find in surrounding areas.

And DO NOT touch the plants even after they die. The urushiol remains active in even dead parts and dead roots for several years. I also learned the hard way that urushiol penetrates disposable latex gloves. It will not get through vinyl or plastic though.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 09-23-2018 at 03:16 PM..

Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 AM

13,494 posts, read 29,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
WOW! It's been almost a year since my last post on this forum. The war continues!!!!

Last year I went after the ground lespedeza. This summer, I had a good amount, but none were as thick rooted or as big as the ones from the year before. Probably what grew from last years seeds. I've pulled a lot of them, all by hand. This is all in my front yard, forget the back, that's for next year. I would say, as of today, I've gotten 95% of them?

This year, I had maybe 5 dandelion/cat's ears to pull up in my entire yard! YES! I've won that war. This fall/winter, I will see how well I did with the wild garlic last year - fingers crossed. I know I will get some, there's no doubt, but with the thousands upon thousands I pulled last year, I know I made a dent in it.

While my neighbors have to cut their grass at least every 2 weeks, and it's really the weeds, not the grass that needs to be cut, I can go a month. If not for the junk grass, I could go longer. My wish for Xmas is to have my centipede run!!!!!

My grass does look a heck of a lot better, but I have a long way to go. I have centipede, but I also have a lot of Bermuda grass in it, which, I hope, to get rid of one day - maybe by the time I'm 70! I hope that as my centipede get's healthier, it may choke out the Bermuda. Does anyone know if this is a possibility, or a wish that never will be granted?

Has anyone tried to put in plugs before winter, and before the centipede grass goes dormant? Wonder if it would take, or die during the winter.
You need to use sethoxydim, the centipede is resistant to it but itíll kill the bermuda. I have to use it sometimes to get rid of bahiagrass growing in my centipede.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:16 AM

13,344 posts, read 7,290,471 times
I am about ready to call the U.S. Army, and see if they have any surplus Agent Orange lying around that they can give me. After the incredibly wet summer we've had, I am dealing with a jungle of weeds, vines, and every other invasive, thorny plant, including Poison Ivy, on my little acre, and a quarter of heaven. I am about ready to just hire someone to get rid of ALL of it.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:41 AM

9,103 posts, read 3,923,269 times
I'm not concerned about having a perfectly green yard with no weeds at all. What I must get rid of are the stickers (aka sandspurs) which are growing rampant in my backyard. It is hard to tell where the actual root is so I cut the stickers off, then spray the entire area with weed killer which has left brown spots all over my back yard. Now my son puts the bag on the lawnmower as someone told me these sandspurs are like seeds. Since I have a dog who goes in the yard I don't want these sandspurs in my yard.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:29 AM

484 posts, read 128,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I am about ready to call the U.S. Army, and see if they have any surplus Agent Orange lying around that they can give me. After the incredibly wet summer we've had, I am dealing with a jungle of weeds, vines, and every other invasive, thorny plant, including Poison Ivy, on my little acre, and a quarter of heaven. I am about ready to just hire someone to get rid of ALL of it.
I actually did that (somewhat). There are 5 raised beds and 3 ground level beds in the backyard, plus one large bed adjacent to the driveway in the front yard. (All from the prior owners) In late June I finally got someone who would come in and rip everything out of 5 of those 9 beds (all had poison ivy, bittersweet, etc throughout) -- took them all day and cost me $2K. In retrospect I should have bit the bullet and had them rip out the other 4 beds also, because the remaining beds are now completely out of control with the same stuff plus more. But the pricey guy is booked up for the rest of the season and the only other guy (who is slightly more reasonable) is apparently too busy to even return phone calls.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm not concerned about having a perfectly green yard with no weeds at all. What I must get rid of are the stickers (aka sandspurs) which are growing rampant in my backyard. It is hard to tell where the actual root is so I cut the stickers off, then spray the entire area with weed killer which has left brown spots all over my back yard. Now my son puts the bag on the lawnmower as someone told me these sandspurs are like seeds. Since I have a dog who goes in the yard I don't want these sandspurs in my yard.
Iím assuming you probably have St Augustine grass, if thatís the case you can use some atrazine to kill the sandspurs without killing the whole lawn.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:49 PM

4,539 posts, read 5,826,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You need to use sethoxydim, the centipede is resistant to it but it’ll kill the bermuda. I have to use it sometimes to get rid of bahiagrass growing in my centipede.
As I understand, SouthernAg use to make a product with that. Not sure where I'd find that now, but will look again.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
As I understand, SouthernAg use to make a product with that. Not sure where I'd find that now, but will look again.
Yep, it was call Vantage Grass Killer. I havenít seen that in awhile, what I used recently was Fertilome Over-The-Top.

https://www.amazon.com/Fertilome-Ove...70_&dpSrc=srch

Youíll need to use a surfactant with it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or