Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 02:01 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,750,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I never fertilize or water my St Augustine, and it’s nice and healthy, same with the centipede. I’m 50 miles inland though, so my soil isn’t sandy like it is near the coast.
It is sandy soil here, I find shell bits when digging holes. This area makes it hard to maintain grass, but people still want their green lawns. They want what they grew up with, not fully understanding this isn’t the mid-Atlantic or North with warmer weather and a beach. It’s a different climate and soil and trying to make it into something else isn’t working well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 08:08 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,173,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I should have known you had a thread! LMAO!
I have every weed you mentioned as well as what others mentioned plus a few more. What's really gotten me this year are light purple violets someone gave me from Garden Web 10 years ago. They're actually really pretty because you don't normally see light purple violets here but not next to my prized roses.

I've started pulling them and planting them in the wooded lot next door all the way around the corner on the main drag. They'll look pretty under every maple and oak tree and will help hold the soil together.

It keeps you busy - gardening isn't just about the pretty things growing, we know that for sure.

Here's a pic of my front yard. It will be 6 weeks since it's been cut on Tuesday, with exception of about a foot, or two along the driveway (very right of front yard) where I'm still working on pulling up junk grass, by hand.

I have let the centipede seed out in hopes it will fill in some spots. My yard was riddled with dandelion/cat's tongue for years - as my neighbors are now. I don't have any in my yard while my neighbors have to mow every 2 weeks. After a week of mowing, up pops new dandelions in their yards.

I saw about 8 green garlic scapes today Dug those suckers out, and quick. Hoping there won't be many more. Last year was a major digging on millions of them. We will see how well I did once the cooler air starts coming.
Attached Thumbnails
My War on Weeds-20181005_155605.jpg  

Old 10-06-2018, 08:48 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,557,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
It is sandy soil here, I find shell bits when digging holes. This area makes it hard to maintain grass, but people still want their green lawns. They want what they grew up with, not fully understanding this isn’t the mid-Atlantic or North with warmer weather and a beach. It’s a different climate and soil and trying to make it into something else isn’t working well.
Yeah if I had sandy soil like that near the beach I think I’d just plant pines and let the straw cover the ground.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:47 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,528,339 times
One city is using goats in its war on weeds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4egtybBSPo

Old 10-07-2018, 06:53 AM

50,325 posts, read 63,881,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
One city is using goats in its war on weeds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4egtybBSPo
Savannah is doing that too.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:55 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,115,236 times
I routed out a wooden sign for my parent's garden fence door. It said: Weeders Welcome! Of course I always tried to avoid their garden and my sign!

Old 10-07-2018, 07:12 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,173,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I routed out a wooden sign for my parent's garden fence door. It said: Weeders Welcome! Of course I always tried to avoid their garden and my sign!
You could sell those by the truckloads!

Old 10-07-2018, 07:48 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,498,455 times
Quote:
Be careful for what you ask. What kind of weed? Is weed legal where you are?

Old 10-07-2018, 09:05 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,115,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Be careful for what you ask. What kind of weed? Is weed legal where you are?
All weeds were illegal in their garden! If they only could have found a few weeders!

Old 10-07-2018, 10:28 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,498,455 times
Quote:
All weeds were illegal in their garden! If they only could have found a few weeders!
I'm referring to weed, not weeds, if you get my drift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden