U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:29 PM

3,868 posts, read 4,949,244 times

Advertisements

I think I've got every type of weed that has ever lived! Okay, maybe it's not THAT bad, but maybe every weed that's ever lived in SC!?! I have learned the names of weeds like never before. I've gotten quite good at knowing what weeds I happen to own.

I have a 3/4 acre lot. I've lived in this house about 7 years. When I first moved in there was 2 gangly looking rose plants and some ugly mature trees. It amazed me that for a house that was built in the last 60's there was no foliage to speak of. But boy, was there weeds, and poison ivy. LOTS and LOTS of poison ivy on this lot! That was one of my first tasks, getting rid of the PI. It took 3-4 years, but I am happy to say, I don't have any PI in my yard. At least no at this time - I get it from time-to-time from some bird dropping seed in to my yard! But, gone is all the PI that once existed.

The weeds were the next thing to work on. One of the worse was the dandelions and cats tongue, which the later looks like dandelions, but are different. They were everywhere! I started pulling them by hand and tools, about 2 years ago, and this is the beginning 3rd year, and they are basically gone. I have found some small ones in the yard this summer, and get them while they are small - this is due to my neighbors who grow them like weeds in their yards and let them flower. If I find one but don't have my tool in my hand, I try to put some type of marker, like a close-by rock so I can go back and dig it out later. It has been nice not to have to cut the "grass" that I don't have to cut because of the yellow flowers!

Last year I ripped up a lot of chickweed. I had a good amount this year, but nothing like last year and I see progress, and that my efforts have paid off on helping reduce the amount I have.

This year, not that I had any plans for any particular weed to target, as they started coming out during the late winter/early spring I started focusing on weeds that I had learned, when mature, and seeded, could produce thousands more weeds! I won't know until next year how well I did, and it may take a couple years to really show, like the dandelions, but I started with the dead nettle and the henbit. I think I got the majority of it.

Then, I was noticing a weed that I found out was wild geranium. I started pulling this one late, so I have no idea how good my efforts will be on this one, I know there was a lot that matured and had black seed. I also started half-butt pulling the yellow wood sorrel. There is wayyyy to many of these to pull up, but I've pulled up a lot, and surely, have lessened what will return due to seeding itself for next years crop.

I still have a lot of weeds in my yard, my goodness, it's 3/4 of an acre. I will never rid my yard of all the weeds, or junk grass I have. One may ask why I just don't spray the weeds...I really can't spray too much of my yard, I have too many desirable plants, and edibles. If I want to at least lessen the weeds, I have to try and be somewhat diligent when the time is available, and pull what I can by hand.

So, as the summer progresses, and as I have time, and as weeds continue to grow, I will continue my quest. Come next year, it will be interesting to see what weeds return in mass, what new weeds I will have to conquer, and what efforts were not worth taking the time to do. As one weed seems to be gone, new ones such as nutsedge comes up in masses and gives me a new egg to fry, so to speak. I KNOW this weed will be back next year.

Just thought I'd share my experience of my war on weeds. I don't think I will ever win this battle, but I will keep trying to conquer.

And yes, I do have a lot of time to spend in the garden. Besides a 3/4 lot with a lot of weeds, I've planted over 1000 plants in on this land. That part makes me happy - the weeds, do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 10:59 PM

600 posts, read 220,929 times
I've been pulling out weed for 2 straight months. Hopefully next season those spikey little burrclover will be gone. I spent hours pulling them out and removing all the little spikes from the lawn. They're not as bad as before but almost every other day I see new burrclovers popping up.

Simpley beacause a few I cannot pull out from the roots. So I just pull what I can. Especially when I see those yellow flowers. Before they turn into those spikey seeds.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:53 PM

1,136 posts, read 299,875 times
This is me, too. No poison, and never go in or out without stopping to pull weeds. I've learned to like the wild geranium and I don't mind the wood sorrel. If it stays low I don't mind them blending together into something resembling lawn. It's the quack grass I hate with a passion and can't get out and it won't mow. Next is the dandelions and crabgrass, which have to be dug, not pulled. And I have thistles, with thorny little stems, so I have to forego them when I don't have gloves. I've also cleared a few bits and planted edibles and flowers and will continue to work at the transformation.

After it rains, get out there and pull, it's easier. I have a friend who does it while it rains. I'm in a high wind zone, so I don't even need the birds (which are plentiful) to make this a losing battle, but there's something satisfying about it that I hear in Eldemila's dogged determination.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:53 PM

4,245 posts, read 4,608,597 times
Yesterday I got myself a new tool for weeding the gardens. It's called a Diamond Hoe. Today, a weeding job that would ordinarily take me about 12 to 16 hours of back breaking work to do on a very rough patch of woody, deep rooted weeds was completed in only 4 hours with no great physical effort on my part, and no bending or pulling, and just a little bit of raking. You just slide the diamond head of the hoe back and forth beneath the soil line. It gets into tight spaces and was so easy, so slick, it slices through weed roots and up-roots plants like a hot knife slicing through butter. I am so impressed. I don't know who the genius was that invented this razor sharp style of hoe but whoever it was deserves some kind of Nobel prize for gardening tool inventions.

Anyway, I am now going to be recommending a diamond hoe to all serious gardeners (especially seniors or the disabled) with any kind of weeding to do. There is more than one brand and manufacturer of diamond hoes but I'm posting the one shown below because they had the best picture to show what the head of the diamond hoe looks like.

Quote:
Buy De Wit diamond headed hoe: Delivery by Crocus

Tackle weeds below the soil line with ruthless efficiency with this exceptionally sharp De Wit diamond-headed hoe.

With a slimline carbon steel head sharpened on all sides, the hoe slices through weeds on both the outward and return strokes. Slide it firmly back and forth below the soil's surface and it will cut through every root in its path.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-07-2017 at 07:04 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 07:46 PM

1,136 posts, read 299,875 times
Ruthless efficiency: I want that.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:30 AM
Status: "those denying the robot threat are probably robots too" (set 4 days ago)

18,313 posts, read 17,751,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yesterday I got myself a new tool for weeding the gardens. It's called a Diamond Hoe. Today, a weeding job that would ordinarily take me about 12 to 16 hours of back breaking work to do on a very rough patch of woody, deep rooted weeds was completed in only 4 hours with no great physical effort on my part, and no bending or pulling, and just a little bit of raking. You just slide the diamond head of the hoe back and forth beneath the soil line. It gets into tight spaces and was so easy, so slick, it slices through weed roots and up-roots plants like a hot knife slicing through butter. I am so impressed. I don't know who the genius was that invented this razor sharp style of hoe but whoever it was deserves some kind of Nobel prize for gardening tool inventions.

Anyway, I am now going to be recommending a diamond hoe to all serious gardeners (especially seniors or the disabled) with any kind of weeding to do. There is more than one brand and manufacturer of diamond hoes but I'm posting the one shown below because they had the best picture to show what the head of the diamond hoe looks like.

I don't doubt that the diamond hoe will be ruthlessly efficient and have a similar device with the business end having just one side, good for mauevering in tight places

picked up a similar hand held device called a cape cod weeder a few years ago and it's great for hand-to-hand weed combat...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....SR314,320_.jpg

a similar stand-up device that I've found to be fast, effective and surprisingly durable is one of these stirrup hoes...

Ace® Scuffle Stirrup Hoe - Hoes - Ace Hardware

Old 09-28-2017, 06:50 PM

3,868 posts, read 4,949,244 times
Update: So, since posting, I've gotten my target weed for this summer...ground lespedeza. I have a ton of it in all areas of my yard but my focus has been on the front yard because, well, it's the front yard.

I sprayed Image (where I was able) that's suppose to kill the weed. It didn't. Didn't even phase it. So, I have been painstakingly pulling this weed by hand, and with pliers. This is going to be part of a 3 year plan. I try to do a patch whenever I'm outside working in the garden. I'm also tackling the crab grass and can tell a single blade that doesn't belong within my centipede. I don't know which will be harder to get rid of, they're both PITA weeds!

Of course, now that cooler weather is coming, here comes the wild onion scapes coming up in my grass. Those drive me nuts.

BUT, on a good note, my efforts have helped. Tomorrow will be 5 weeks since I've cut my grass, and it still looks good. I'm guessing just one more cutting before I put my mower away for the season.

If anyone is dealing with lespedea, how have you dealt with it?

Old 09-29-2017, 01:24 PM

478 posts, read 114,540 times
I have the prettiest creeping Charlie. I just can't get rid of. I've sprayed multiple times the past three years and it is still all over.I use what's recommended and what other people use. I must have some mutant super weed. I think it started when I got some hostsas from a friend. I wish creeping Charlie was an acceptable turf. I think my neighbors are starting to hate me because of this infestation.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 09-29-2017 at 02:13 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 02:31 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,145,579 times
1 ounce per 1 gallon of water in a sprayer, and say bye bye to Charlie and is little lespedea friends (and all other broadleaf weeds)....

If you have anything but Bermuda grass, you shouldn't even know it was applied (other than not having any more weeds).

https://www.amazon.com/T-Zone-Turf-H...words=TZone+SE

I know and totally respect the wish for no herbicide usage. Totally get that, and can't argue against it. I too am as organic as I possibly can be, but to a limit. When the weeds are just too much to beat back manually or organically, then it's time to "reset" the playing field. Don't have to use herbicides for every little weed you find, but if there are just soooo many of them that you can't get ahead of them, then that's when you need the herbicide. Spray the lawn once (or maybe twice depending on how many weeds you have), and then pick them out manually as they come up later on.

With my yard when we bought our house two years ago, it was overrun by crabgrass, charlies, etc. I tried and tried and tried to pluck that crabgrass out manually. Must've filled up two city-sized trash containers to the tops over a 4 week period. Could never get ahead of it. Pluck one out, seemed like two more would show up. Same with the charlies. Take one, two more in 10 days. That's when I threw in the towel and got wise to herbicides that actually work (where the pros shop). Nothing at the big box stores will work nearly as well as a professional-grade applied product. And, you're likely using a lot more chemicals in general with the big box store stuff than with the pro grade (when used correctly). These are "hook it to my garden hose and spray like mad" products. Nope. These are "dilute 1 ounce per 1 gallon of water and spray the area just one time in one pass". I could hose down my entire yard (.38 acres) with a gallon of the big box brands every few weeks and take out 60% of them, or just 3 ounces of this stuff once or twice a year (maybe) and take out 100% of them. Just made sense to me.

After that, if you don't want to do manual removal for those popping up, just get a hand-held spray bottle from Home Depot (or wherever), add 1.5 teaspoons per 32oz of water, and spot-treat each weed as they come up. That way you're not blanketing the area again, and it's sooooo much easier to stay ahead of them.

Last edited by NC211; 09-29-2017 at 02:47 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 02:46 PM

514 posts, read 209,369 times
I don't spray, and I don't go one-on-one with any weed. I cheat. I cover the weedy areas with layers of newspapers or cardboard, then 4 inches of bark. Redo it every 2 years or so, and it keeps things under control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden