Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 10:57 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I see what you mean. Attached is a picture of my Japanese maple that I know is a Japanese maple. Interesting about all the different maples. I'll have to do more research.

I hope you won't take this amiss but that leaf from your Japanese maple has mites on it as well as a couple of mite predators that have been attracted by the mites. When the picture is magnified I can see the mites' webbings and the scars on the leaf, as well as the legs of the predators hiding under the leaf. You might want to hose down the tree thoroughly with water to get rid of all the bugs.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-12-2017 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 12:41 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,067,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I hope you won't take this amiss but that leaf from your Japanese maple has mites on it as well as a couple of mite predators that have been attracted by the mites. When the picture is magnified I can see the mites' webbings and the scars on the leaf, as well as the legs of the predators hiding under the leaf. You might want to hose down the tree thoroughly with water to get rid of all the bugs.

EW!!! It's a baby plant, super zoomed in, so is that still a "tree"? hehe I will definitely get that taken care of today. I was wondering what that was. Thank you for letting me know I just assumed it was a spider making a web. I'm so grossed out now. Yuck.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:43 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
It's not a native maples, that's for certain.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
They don't look like maple leaves to me ..... unless maybe it's some kind of Japanese maple. What colour is the stem that the leaves are growing out of? Is it red? If it's red I guess it could be some kind of ornamental maple because a red stem is common with most baby maples, even if the stem changes colour later.

But maple leaves are usually very symmetrical in their form and outline with all sides matching and those leaves are not very symmetrical in their outline so I have my doubts.

Is there any fuzz on the leaves? If there is any fuzz at all on the leaves or stem then it definitely is not any kind of maple.

They do bear a striking resemblance to the leaves of several species of buttercups and other ranunculus plants in the Ranunculaceae family and when I first saw the picture that was the first impression that came to mind.

They also bear a resemblance to some types of motherwort.

It won't hurt to let it grow for another couple of weeks in that pot. By then there will be more indicators to give you a positive ID and then you can decide what to do with it.

I'll check the stem color and fuzziness (or lack thereof) later today and get back to you. There's so many trees behind me, it could be any of them. It just looked more like my baby maple, so that's what I thought it might be (or related to it).

Old 06-12-2017, 02:08 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
The first couple of leaves produced by a maple seedling look non standard (not just like miniature versions of the mature leaf), but they are usually not so deeply dentate, much less heavily dissected like the seedling in your picture. At least the Norway, Sugar, and Rock maples I am familiar with.

Japanese maples and box elder are more dentate in their seedlings, but not even quite like in the OP example.

Here is a Norway maple seedling and Sugar maple seedlings look very similar, I think.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:19 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,601,367 times
It looks more like an oak sapling to me:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...wvPoAndtpR-4M:

Old 06-12-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
They don't look like maple leaves to me ..... unless maybe it's some kind of Japanese maple. What colour is the stem that the leaves are growing out of? Is it red? If it's red I guess it could be some kind of ornamental maple because a red stem is common with most baby maples, even if the stem changes colour later.

But maple leaves are usually very symmetrical in their form and outline with all sides matching and those leaves are not very symmetrical in their outline so I have my doubts.

Is there any fuzz on the leaves? If there is any fuzz at all on the leaves or stem then it definitely is not any kind of maple.

They do bear a striking resemblance to the leaves of several species of buttercups and other ranunculus plants in the Ranunculaceae family and when I first saw the picture that was the first impression that came to mind.

They also bear a resemblance to some types of motherwort.

It won't hurt to let it grow for another couple of weeks in that pot. By then there will be more indicators to give you a positive ID and then you can decide what to do with it.

The stem is red and there is no fuzz on the leaves. Maybe I'll just need to wait and see, as you stated.
Attached Thumbnails
Baby tree identification?-20170612_213322.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden