Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:19 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I need attractive shrubs (flowering/evergreen of some sort would be nice). I need them to grow no more than 3 feet high maximum, and to be able to survive Kansas City winters. They would be planted in a full-sun site.

No little path though.
I know nothing about gardening, nothing about shrubbery, but I do know about Monty Python and The Holy Grail! You rock! (And good luck with the shrubs!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 07:59 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Yews are very nice. They're a bit slow growing but they're tough, well-behaved and take been trimmed well. I like the somewhat delicate look of yews.

I have several and they take Tennessee winters with no problem (you might be a bit colder in KC but not so terribly much).
I see yews here in Denver, and some look sort of yellowy, while others are nice and green all winter. I'm assuming they like acid soil and the ones that aren't as green just need a little acidic fertilizer?

Old 03-14-2008, 09:17 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
I like the laurels particularly....

Ni!

Floridata: Prunus caroliniana
cherry laurels are pretty but can grow to become the mightiest tree in the forest unless you keep cutting them back, with....

Old 03-14-2008, 03:40 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I see yews here in Denver, and some look sort of yellowy, while others are nice and green all winter. I'm assuming they like acid soil and the ones that aren't as green just need a little acidic fertilizer?
Could be that they're iron deficient? A liquid iron could be helpful in the spring.

Roamin Red,
As far as plant ideas, how about mugo pines? The would add some greenery up against your house in the winter. I believe they're good in zones 2-7.
Sinlur Stoneworks Garden: Pinus mugo mugo

Old 03-14-2008, 06:05 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
I just got some loropetalum. It's very pretty...but this is Texas, so not sure about hardiness for you. I think it's 7-10.
http://http://www.scenicnursery.com/archives/loropetalum.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-24-2008, 02:42 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,487 times
Hey, what about heather? I saw some at the nursery this weekend and it looks nice. Well, nice now...but does it get all sad-looking after a while? The tag said it grows up to three feet high, which would be good for the spot I have.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Camelias are evergreen and bloom beautiful flowers in the winter months. They can grow to be larger than 3' but you can control that with pruning. They make amazing hedges.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:12 AM

290 posts, read 637,256 times
Nandina Dwarf Firepower

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/nandinafirepowermain.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-28-2008, 04:27 AM

93 posts, read 305,305 times
Thumbs up And you shall have a..

Shrubbery!
Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
Shrubbery!
Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
Shrubbery!
It's all we need
(Ni! Ni! Ni!)
Shrubbery, leafy green!
Shrubbery, we're a frightful lot
Shrubbery! Watery tot!

What about dwarf butterfly hedges? Sooo pretty!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:49 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,607,255 times
I am partial to hibiscus. They have lovely flowers during the spring and ummer, come in white, pale pink, pink, red and oragne flowers that are about as wide as the average baseball. They can grow to 6' in two years.

I also like azaleas. I bought a couple of the smaller shrubs for my yard this spring and the dwarfs will mature at 3.5 feet.

Both specimens are hardy to -20F

Don't overlook apple trees. If you get them young enough, leave the lower branches on and during the autumn, snip the primary branch (that's the branch that grows upward, bringing to tree to it's mature height) right at point it connects to the next highest branch. This will prevent the tree from getting much taller and will fill out in bush format, and still produce fruit and flowers. Never take off the lowest branches and it will provide extra depth. It doesn't kill the tree, just prevents it from reaching full height at maturity.

You can do the same thing with flowering cherry trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden