U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 11:26 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,790,573 times

Advertisements

Thanks to those who actually posted something on getting rid of these things as opposed to thread crapping with pc garbage!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 02:05 AM

3,801 posts, read 1,408,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
A Japanese Beetle is a June bug, so is a Figeater Beetle. What are June Bugs? How Can I Get Rid of June Bugs?
Not really. Same family, though.

https://homesteadgardens.com/blog/ja...reen-june-bug/

And from your link:

INSECT SPECIES CALLED JUNE BUGS

june bug The term “June bug” isn’t a scientifically assigned name. Instead, it’s a common name applied regionally to a variety of different beetle species. The six most common are:

• European Chafer Beetle (Rhizotrogus majalis) – This invasive beetle is found throughout temperate latitudes of North America. It has a caramel brown colored back and measures a little more than ˝-inch in length.

• Green June Beetle (Cotinis nitida) – A beetle with a green body that measures up to an inch long. Its primary range extends from Maine to Georgia.

• Japanese Beetle (Popillia japonica) – An invasive beetle with a brown and green metallic sheen. This beetle is considered an agricultural pest to a variety of crops, including tomatoes, strawberries, roses, raspberries and corn. It measures a little over a ˝-inch in length. Unlike most other beetles called June bugs, the Japanese beetle has a daytime activity cycle.

The OP's pic is a Green June Beetle. What, in MY region, was called a "June Bug". A Japanese Beetle in My region was called a "Japanese Beetle".

Old 07-09-2017, 02:09 AM

3,801 posts, read 1,408,462 times
I really miss seeing those bugs! We don't have them, or at least I have never seen then where I live now.)

Old 07-09-2017, 08:54 AM

19,445 posts, read 18,559,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
June bugs are not harmless. Have you ever driven a motorcycle at 65 mph and caught one of them between your eyes! They can really leave a large welt! It's almost as bad as getting a hornet or wasp down the neck of your shirt!
One landed on my eye once. Ewww!

Old 07-09-2017, 10:14 AM

10,374 posts, read 8,802,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
One landed on my eye once. Ewww!
Is that how people get 'green eyes'?

Old 07-09-2017, 11:17 AM

11,525 posts, read 6,069,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Hug trees much? Wow!

Why take down a pool because of bugs? Our June bugs are big brown ugly things. I've never seen a June bug that color. Would I take down a pool because of them? Nope. I think that's over kill too.

(Okay I'm going out in the yard and give mt 200 foot tall a great big hug. It's a beautiful old thing and I love it )

Old 07-09-2017, 11:50 AM

19,445 posts, read 18,559,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Is that how people get 'green eyes'?
That would look freaky.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:15 PM

10,374 posts, read 8,802,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That would look freaky.
With today's fads and all the tattoos and piercing; it would not surprise me!

Old 07-09-2017, 03:16 PM

8,882 posts, read 16,529,904 times
If you want to get rid of the bugs, since they're attracted to the water, put out another pool or water feature or what ever and add some soap to it to break the water tension that the bugs float on. You can shine a light on it, too, to make it more attractive to the bugs. They'll go to the water, fly into it and drown. Then toss them on your compost heap to improve the soil. Eventually, there will be a whole lot less of them around, but since they hatch from grubs it will take awhile until all the grubs have hatched out into bugs and flown into the water and drowned.

A more permanent method is a 'water feature' (pool, fountain, etc.) with fish in it, although you'd need a pretty big fish to eat these bugs. Maybe a catfish or big koi. A water feature with fish works really well for mosquito control since the adult mosquitoes lay their eggs in the water and the fish eat them.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:22 PM

6,730 posts, read 8,106,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Japanese Beetle...very destructive, you'll be doing you neighborhood a favor if you squash every last one of them

Japanese Beetle Habitat & Facts | How to Get Rid of Japanese Beetles | Safer® Brand

That's not a Japanese beetle! This is what JBs look like:

JBs are only a half an inch long. Note the green head and brown wing case with the lengthwise racing stripes and the tiny white puffs of hair around the edges of the abdomen.

The photo in the picture in the first post looks like a beetle in the scarab family. Can the OP tell us how long/wide the mystery beetles are and what state you are living in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden