Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 08:32 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,148,562 times

Advertisements

I enjoy trying to repurpose items for my garden, without it looking too junky.

I repurposed this old coat/hat rack. It was an old tarnished brass coloring (not real brass). I removed 2 of the arms, extended the little screw bar so the arms stuck out a little more on the 2 remaining bars, put red plastic beads on the bars and spray painted it red. It's great for hanging 2 of my hummingbird feeders on it

If you look behind it, it's an old wash basin which I made in to a planter.

Would love to see what others have repurposed!
Attached Thumbnails
What have you repurposed for your garden?-20170601_195618.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 04:41 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,148,562 times
This was an old floor lamp. I removed the a small glass shelves, electrical cord and bulb. Its hard to see, but I planted some seedum at the top. I have clematis planted at the bottom to vine up.
Attached Thumbnails
What have you repurposed for your garden?-20170601_194901-1.jpg  

Old 06-02-2017, 06:01 AM

13,042 posts, read 18,008,630 times
My mom took an old gas grill repainted it and planted geraniums and dracaena spikes in it with white wave petunia and sweet potato vines. fabulous.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:06 AM

50,178 posts, read 63,623,198 times
It's not an original idea, and I don't have one to show now, but I love making a planter from an old chair. You sling burlap where the seat used to be, and fill it with plants. Once the plants are established, it's really beautiful.

Like this...

http://balconygardenweb.com/wp-conte...nter-ideas.jpg

Old 06-02-2017, 06:58 AM

10,077 posts, read 6,372,858 times
I have an old cast iron floor lamp that is missing the "arms"; I bought it at auction for a buck. The small extensions at the top are long enough to hang cages for suet blocks. I just have to avoid using the peanut treat ones, as the raccoons will knock the entire thing down then.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:55 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,918,023 times
I used many headboards to make a fence. I added the cattle panel wire behind them to keep my dog in the yard.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/501856...posted-public/

Please excuse the weeds in this one. My hubby was very ill and I was running myself into the ground caring for him and no time for the yard.
Attached Thumbnails
What have you repurposed for your garden?-4-17-16-new-fence.jpg  

Old 06-03-2017, 08:02 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,082,079 times
Very cool shades_of_idaho! I see others with yard art, and really like it, but when I look to my gardens, I just can't picture it looking good. I need to take a bold stand.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:08 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,457,919 times
Wish I had a picture, but a friend just yesterday showed me a trellis that was actually a baby crib mattress spring. She had started to put Clematis on it and it was just so pretty!

Old 06-03-2017, 08:10 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,457,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It's not an original idea, and I don't have one to show now, but I love making a planter from an old chair. You sling burlap where the seat used to be, and fill it with plants. Once the plants are established, it's really beautiful.

Like this...

http://balconygardenweb.com/wp-conte...nter-ideas.jpg
Thanks! I have an old chair and have been wondering what to do...

Old 06-03-2017, 08:40 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,918,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Very cool shades_of_idaho! I see others with yard art, and really like it, but when I look to my gardens, I just can't picture it looking good. I need to take a bold stand.
I probably have too much garden junk all over my yard. LOL I have been junking for years.

I just re-did my dog house shelter. I needed some thing more snow worthy. My hubby made a roof doe the old dog house shelter and I used it for the roof of the new one. It is sitting on top of two end panels for a heavy duty dog kennel. I used the other two panels for the kitty kennel. Yes one end of it over hangs on the far side. I wanted to keep the distance underneath for support as short as possible but needed a secure clamp on one end. Friend of mine is a building inspector and he checked it out and said it should hold. We both hung on it at the same time to test the snow load. LOL So scientific. Anyway the roof is made from an old farm gate with metal roofing on it.

Then I built a high rise kitty kennel for their winter run. Roof is only 30 by 30 so no worries about snow load there. It is made from four Bi-fold doors and some added ripped 2 by 4's for more strength. And left over wood from some project hubby did. The cat walk under the windows goes to the high rise kennel and the larger 10 by 10 foot kennel on the right. I will pull the cover off the 10 by 10 kennel in winter and let it fill with snow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/501856...posted-public/
Attached Thumbnails
What have you repurposed for your garden?-5-14-17-new-old-roof  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden