U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 12:06 PM

1,601 posts, read 517,758 times

Advertisements

You might be surprised. If you plan to put down 250' of fabric, do you plan to hide all of it? that's a lot of work.

Spraying such a stretch would not take long at all, as long as it would take to walk it at a slower pace, if you use a good sprayer.

Many people, myself included, like the greenery that comes up through the cracks anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 03:34 AM

55,206 posts, read 37,287,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Weeds penetrating is not a big issue. It is that weeds grow on top of it.
Right. Weeds only penetrate after years when it deteriorates and thins out. but the good stuff wont for more than 5 yrs. Problem is when you mow the lawn near it or put soil on top of it that the weeds will grow "on top" of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
x3
Cardboard or newspaper works just as good (and doesn't have to be 'removed');re-layered every couple years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I second the cardboard method..

Love seeing others use cardboard. I was thrilled the 1st time I tried it!

Old 07-15-2017, 04:11 AM

We all love pics. Here is my cardboard blocking the weeds. I only used it for the paths and didn't care about the looks. One thing different I will do next year is use more than 1 layer.

March 2016

In June it was thinning out and fading in the sunlight but still working.

In August weeds grew on top of it and found the cracks

In September not only you can see the job it did holding back the weeds but it bio degraded into the soil. Worms loved it!

Old 07-15-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Right. Weeds only penetrate after years when it deteriorates and thins out. but the good stuff wont for more than 5 yrs. Problem is when you mow the lawn near it or put soil on top of it that the weeds will grow "on top" of it.
The fabric is polyester. It does not "deteriorates and thins out". That must be an urban legend. I can personally attest, too, of the stuff, years old, that I pulled out.

No way mowing nearby would have any effect either, unless you mow weeds with seeds and blow the seeds...

I and others have observed that weeds grow in the mulch. No need to put soil there.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
The fabric is polyester. It does not "deteriorates and thins out". .
The one I have is cloth. It weakened with the rains, sun, hot, cold. Plus animals are ripping it to make their nests. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
No way mowing nearby would have any effect either, unless you mow weeds with seeds and blow the seeds....
It's ironic that the weeds AND grass is growing closest to the grass area and the only thing that would contribute to that is the mowing. I have been facing the outlet the other way now so it doesn't blow onto the bed. grass and weed clippings turn into dirt and wind blows seeds from elsewhere. All related.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:39 AM

^ you must not realize that polyester is used to make the cloth you see. AFAIK, all the permeable barriers, the ones that let water through, are made from polyester fiber. Polyester fiber does not degrade, unless it is directly in the sun. If out of the sun, the stuff will last for a long time.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:08 PM

8,632 posts, read 15,936,961 times
For what you're doing - a path - I use old plastic feed bags. Nowadays, animal feed comes in heavy duty plastic bags instead of burlap bags. I'll flatten them out and put down one or two layers and then put old Trex decking over them. No maintenance, no weeds and it's a good use of old stuff. If you know anyone who has a lot of animals such as a horse stable or a goat farm or some such, they may have a lot of free feed bags available. A note on the bulletin board at your local feed store may get you a big pile of used feed bags.

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

539 posts, read 171,179 times
You don't want to use landscape fabric. Don't fall for the spiel that fabric will eliminate weeds, because it will not. Seed heads will still find their way into your beds and sprout weeds. Guess where the roots go? That's right...through your expensive fabric!

Use 2-3" of good mulch and stay on top of the weeds. By that I mean either pull them or use chemicals to attack them while they are very small. Using a good mulch cover will improve your soil because the mulch breaks down into a very good soil amendment. Landscape fabric retards this break down of the mulch.

I have two huge beds in my new house that I have to pull the fabric from and I am not looking forward to it.

Old Today, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I have two huge beds in my new house that I have to pull the fabric from and I am not looking forward to it.
We had the same problem when we moved in to a new place last year. Not too bad pulling it up, and oh, so satisfying. A good utility knife will be handy, as I cut pieces as they got too heavy. Ours was a bed of common tiger lilies, so I usually started at the base of a lily, and pulled from there. The stakes didn't offer any resistance. The big problem was all the "dirt" on top of the fabric from decayed mulch. It took a bit of lift before it came off. Didn't immediately fall off because of all the weed roots holding the dirt in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden