U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 12:07 AM

499 posts, read 224,571 times

Advertisements

i see plastic and fabric... which type last longer? there is a product that boasts will last 25 years... can i trust that claim?

if you can recommend a specific product that would be good. i am looking for durability.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 12:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,892 posts, read 44,714,298 times
There are different grades, but the main thing is to keep it out of the sun. I have some under my shed that's going on 6 years with no weeds and no sign of deterioration, Scotts 1.5 oz plastic fabric from Home Depot. Under the deck I have a heavier variety that has been there 20 years and no weeds but I don't remember what kind it is. At my Moms, we use the kind that's like blue tarp material but black to help keep in the heat, without mulch over it. That has only lasted 2-3 years before it starts to shred from the sun and must be replaced. Whatever you get, be sure to keep at lest 2-3" of mulch over it.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:14 PM

1,989 posts, read 734,048 times
You need to be very careful in using landscape fabric. For example, I moved into a house last July that had huge beds, two 50x10 roughly, of tiger lilies growing through landscape fabric. The previous folks had mulched to hide the fabric. The weeds loved growing in the mulch above the fabric. I also found that water permeated the fabric very slowly if at all. I ripped it out and found peony shoots trying to get beyond the little slit made for them. It must have sounded great to the owners when a landscaper proposed the fabric, and it probably worked for a few years...

Landscape fabric is designed for agricultural use for one season. It's also found a successful role in hardscaping - covered with rock and stone. But it's not good for ornamental gardening or under shrubbery - tends to smother the roots.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:52 AM

77 posts, read 47,412 times
Use a professional grade fabric; try AM Leonard's website or Costco if you can find it. For the last twenty years I have had landscape fabric installed in all of my planters. Covered with crushed rock or pea gravel and drip irrigation. All of my plants thrive and very few weeds will grow in the rock above the fabric. The only negative is when you want to add any new planting you must cut through the fabric.

In my home in CA I used bark nuggets over the fabric but that required refreshing annually and was expensive and a lot of work. My yards stay almost weed free and with dogs running through my planters at times, their feet stay cleaner and do not tear up anything.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsource View Post
Use a professional grade fabric; try AM Leonard's website or Costco if you can find it. For the last twenty years I have had landscape fabric installed in all of my planters. Covered with crushed rock or pea gravel and drip irrigation. All of my plants thrive and very few weeds will grow in the rock above the fabric. The only negative is when you want to add any new planting you must cut through the fabric.

In my home in CA I used bark nuggets over the fabric but that required refreshing annually and was expensive and a lot of work. My yards stay almost weed free and with dogs running through my planters at times, their feet stay cleaner and do not tear up anything.
As the bark breaks down it makes a wonderful growing medium for weeds. And that's a big problem.

Gravel or stone on top of fabric should work well, since there's not much for things to grow in. Personally, though, I don't like the look. It looks like what it is, someone who can afford professional landscaping and does not want to do any yard work. It's a pretty sterile look, too.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:39 AM

1,344 posts, read 358,922 times
Another problem with rocks is that over time plenty of organic material will collect in between in which weeds will make a happy home. And when you want to remove them, good luck. They're very heavy and in my area, hard to get rid of.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Status: "the sun is not yellow, it's chicken" (set 3 days ago)

18,547 posts, read 18,000,226 times
I don't care at all for landscaping fabric but do think it is a good choice if you go with a rock mulch if for no other reason than to keep your stone from working its way into the soil. Would never again use it with wood much as that material is light enough to stay above the soil on its own for the most part.

If you do end up using it in either situation. Cut your mulch into 6 or 8 ft strips or run the fabric the short way across your bed because there will come a time when you are pulling the fabric up again and you sure don't want to be doing that with a 25 ft long section of weed imbedded fabric stuck to the ground.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
If you do end up using it in either situation. Cut your mulch into 6 or 8 ft strips or run the fabric the short way across your bed because there will come a time when you are pulling the fabric up again and you sure don't want to be doing that with a 25 ft long section of weed imbedded fabric stuck to the ground.
I had long strips to remove. Wasn't too bad because I carried a utility knife and cut when I felt like it. What made it much harder, though, was pulling it up around the daylilies and peonies growing through it. Most of the time it tore at those holes, sometimes with a bit of knife help. It was interesting too how much grass grew over the fabric. Got a lot of decent sod that way.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:00 PM

57,718 posts, read 40,139,246 times
Using personal experience.

Bought the commercial fabric at Home Depot cause I got tired of pulling weeds and didn't want to spray chemicals in front flower bed.

2013 Layed it down, cut where the shrubs are, and layed mulch down.

Worked perfectly. Didn't have to pull any weeds. Stayed clean.

Today 4yrs later some weeds popping through and the fabric is deteriorating but still working enough to enjoy the benefits. I did realize mice like to stay under there in winter. And just last month I saw a squirrel rip and yank the ends of the fabric. If its not the weeds that interfere with gardens, its wildlife. lol

I decided this year on spending $10-20 a year and just use Round up to kill the weeds. Will leave fabric in place.

Heads up on the plastic. If you are putting it near shrubs and flowers water wont get through the plastic. Fabric is the way to go for that.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:12 PM

30,626 posts, read 38,230,225 times
I cannot add more. After a few years the broken down mulch supports healthy weed growth, so you must spray anyway. Furthermore, the plants you planted will become stunted, unless you go back and cut the openings in the fabric bigger.

We ripped all ours out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden