U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 05:09 AM

57,534 posts, read 39,961,244 times

Advertisements

Round up weed killer will take care of pretty much any weeds and not kill your grass. Try a little part of lawn and wait 4 days to see if it works. If not, return it. If you like results then use it for entire yard. If you want something organic then ignore this message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 05:58 AM

313 posts, read 171,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
That's because they're related. Both medicago and clover are part of the Favaceae, or bean family.

What that medicago is telling you is that you have nitrogen-deficient soil. If you don't fix that, your lawn will never thrive, and you will always be fending off non-grass plants in your lawn.
My immediate plan was to kill off the weed, with the recommended herbicide and then spread some Milogranite organic fertilizer.

What do you think?

Old 07-12-2017, 06:02 AM

3,993 posts, read 5,018,993 times
Looks like ground lespedeza to me, but that's just my opinion. It grows like crazy in my yard and I doubt I will ever be rid of it totally, but I'm trying!

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgi.../hgic2322.html

Last edited by Eldemila; 07-12-2017 at 06:34 AM..

Old 07-12-2017, 08:36 AM
Status: "those denying the robot threat are probably robots too" (set 27 days ago)

18,505 posts, read 17,945,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Round up weed killer will take care of pretty much any weeds and not kill your grass. Try a little part of lawn and wait 4 days to see if it works. If not, return it. If you like results then use it for entire yard. If you want something organic then ignore this message.

never heard of round-up weed killer before, only round-up weed and grass killer

Old 07-12-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Looks like ground lespedeza to me, but that's just my opinion. It grows like crazy in my yard and I doubt I will ever be rid of it totally, but I'm trying!

HGIC 2322 Lespedeza : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina
It does look very similar to what I have! I used Lebanon Broadleaf Weed Killer with Trimec that iists this weed as being one it kills, however I spread this three weeks ago and the clover type weed is still flourishing!

I will try the spray I ordered or the Roundup as recommended. I will just keep trying until it's all gone!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
never heard of round-up weed killer before, only round-up weed and grass killer
Same here!!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:56 AM

5,395 posts, read 5,703,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
The Round-Up brand is trying to capitalize on the name and create a line of weed killers that are safe on various plants, like grasses. IMHO they are opening themselves up to a bunch of lawsuits when people use the wrong "Round-Up". A very tricky situation business-wise.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:08 AM

13,437 posts, read 5,321,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
My immediate plan was to kill off the weed, with the recommended herbicide and then spread some Milogranite organic fertilizer.

What do you think?
That will most likely help, which is why millions of people do exactly that, and are satisfied with the results.

The very best thing to do is get your soil tested, and follow the testing lab's advice. Because while nitrogen deficiency is your soil's most immediate problem, it might well have others. Soil tests are not all that expensive ($20 - $30), and can save you money in the long run, by making sure that you don't waste money buying nutrients that you don't need. That's why farmers and many gardeners get their soil tested regularly.

Soil testing may be overkill for you, it depends on the size of your lawn and whether you intend to be a serious gardener, but it really is the best thing in the long run.

If you're interested in soil testing, contact your local extension office, many of them offer soil testing. I believe most labs these days will recommend organic nutrient sources, but you may have to ask for that specifically.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
That will most likely help, which is why millions of people do exactly that, and are satisfied with the results.

The very best thing to do is get your soil tested, and follow the testing lab's advice. Because while nitrogen deficiency is your soil's most immediate problem, it might well have others. Soil tests are not all that expensive ($20 - $30), and can save you money in the long run, by making sure that you don't waste money buying nutrients that you don't need. That's why farmers and many gardeners get their soil tested regularly.

Soil testing may be overkill for you, it depends on the size of your lawn and whether you intend to be a serious gardener, but it really is the best thing in the long run.

If you're interested in soil testing, contact your local extension office, many of them offer soil testing. I believe most labs these days will recommend organic nutrient sources, but you may have to ask for that specifically.
I did get my soil tested as recommended on this site. The results indicated that I needed to use a weed killer, lime and a starter fertilizer which I did and the fellow at Rockingham Cooperative said that following the treatment with the products he sold me, I could then follow a Scott's or Sta Green fertilizer program and I would be fine.

The Lebanon Broadleaf Weed Killer did not kill the clover type weeds as it should have since they were listed on the bag. The spreader setting must have been off so rather than reapply, I will spray the affected weed areas with the Turflon Ester.

In the fall, I will follow up with the two recommended Scotts fertilizer with weed killer and then the winter protect treatment later in the fall. Been here for one year and the lawn was really bad so now it's a work in progress!

Old 07-12-2017, 04:59 PM

13,437 posts, read 5,321,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I did get my soil tested as recommended on this site. The results indicated that I needed to use a weed killer, lime and a starter fertilizer which I did and the fellow at Rockingham Cooperative said that following the treatment with the products he sold me, I could then follow a Scott's or Sta Green fertilizer program and I would be fine.

The Lebanon Broadleaf Weed Killer did not kill the clover type weeds as it should have since they were listed on the bag. The spreader setting must have been off so rather than reapply, I will spray the affected weed areas with the Turflon Ester.
In the fall, I will follow up with the two recommended Scotts fertilizer with weed killer and then the winter protect treatment later in the fall. Been here for one year and the lawn was really bad so now it's a work in progress!
Maybe, or maybe now is not the best time of year, or something like that.

In any case, spot treatment is the way to go until you can safely spread again.

What I do when I spot treat is use a cardboard tube from a paper towel roll or toilet paper roll. Spay through that onto the plant, it prevents drift.

I know people who use small paint brushes to apply herbicide, rather than spray, for the same reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden