Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 05:38 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,215,091 times

Advertisements

I do not have a green thumb and growing plants does not come easily to me. I almost killed a 50 year old snake plant but with lots of googling and asking for advice, I managed to bring it back to life and now it is thriving. (Yay me!)

I have several Aloe plants that I have managed to keep alive up to now. The thing I have a hard time with is how much to water the plants. I water them roughly every 2 weeks but always have a hard time knowing how much water to actually give them. I am finding a few dead stems so I definitely am doing something wrong. Can anyone tell me how much water to give each plant? Open to any and all suggestions.

Last edited by Sweet*Tea; 07-19-2017 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: To clarify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 11:08 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Watering depends on plant size, potted or in the ground, soil type, in house or outside. Generally they like to be watered deeply then allowed to dry out before next watering.
Read this information.How to Care for Aloe Vera Plant

Old 07-20-2017, 01:03 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
They're pretty forgiving. What I find hardest here in hell, Texas is keeping them looking green. They don't like full sun all day for sure or the heat that it brings.

If they start to loose their luster or start looking less plump they may need water. I have so many things in pots and they lose soil out the bottoms over time. I let a lot of Aloe and other plants die.

I have too many different types of pots and soils to treat everything the same at watering time. But, with so many, that's what I often do.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:28 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Aloe is a succulent so they store moisture in their leaves. If the leaves look fat and round, then they've got too much water. If they're plump and firm, they're probably happy. If they're thin and limp, they want water.

They need lots of drainage, they shouldn't sit in water or they'll rot.

Plants shouldn't be watered on a schedule, they should be watered according to the condition of the plant and the soil it's planted in.

If you have multiple aloe plants, you could try watering one what you think may be too much, one that you think should be about right and one for what you think is less than it needs and then watch and see what they look like after awhile. Most of taking care of plants is just looking at them and seeing what they need.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Aloe is a succulent so they store moisture in their leaves. If the leaves look fat and round, then they've got too much water. If they're plump and firm, they're probably happy. If they're thin and limp, they want water.

They need lots of drainage, they shouldn't sit in water or they'll rot.

Plants shouldn't be watered on a schedule, they should be watered according to the condition of the plant and the soil it's planted in.

If you have multiple aloe plants, you could try watering one what you think may be too much, one that you think should be about right and one for what you think is less than it needs and then watch and see what they look like after awhile. Most of taking care of plants is just looking at them and seeing what they need.
Thank you! I do have multiple Aloe plants in pots and they have done well until now. I just never know if I am giving them the right amount of water.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Watering depends on plant size, potted or in the ground, soil type, in house or outside. Generally they like to be watered deeply then allowed to dry out before next watering.
Read this information.How to Care for Aloe Vera Plant

I have several inside plants potted in individual pots. I use a succulent/cactus potting soil and they are beside a window to get sun. I will look at the article you provided. Thank you.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:52 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
In my experience it's better to under water them than over water.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:44 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Some good info on this thread. I'm learning myself. Not to hijack it but since its on topic and might help others...

I Had this Aloe Plant for a year now. Had it inside for Fall and Winter. Transplanted into a bigger pot this past Spring using soil from an old Banana plant that had Miracle-Gro African Violet and Tropical Plant Potting Mix

It gets very little watering unless its 85°+.

I learned IT HATES the direct sun. Leaves turn faded and yellow. Only took a few hours or a day to realize this.

So here is where I keep it now. No idea when I can harvest it and use the Aloe or how big it will get.

2 new shoots coming out of the middle past couple weeks.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:59 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
You can always just snip a corner piece off and it will seal.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:57 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
I've got tons of aloe in varying conditions and different exposures. I simply can't make them all happy. If you want them pretty and green they need some shade for sure. Another problem here in hot Texas is using black pots will roast the roots of anything you plant in them. I've tried painting many of mine white. Unlike many plants when you're sure the soil is dry soak it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden