Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2017, 07:48 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,726 times

Advertisements

Need a soil test kit for my Blueberry bush I potted last month. Recommendations on product to test soil and how often to check soil? Our water is very alkaline here.

Any recommendations on how to keep the soil acidic? I potted with 50/50 potting soil and peat moss. Added some soil acidifier granules. Mulched with Pine shavings and Pine Bark 4 inches deep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 03:28 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Need a soil test kit for my Blueberry bush I potted last month. Recommendations on product to test soil and how often to check soil? Our water is very alkaline here.

Any recommendations on how to keep the soil acidic? I potted with 50/50 potting soil and peat moss. Added some soil acidifier granules. Mulched with Pine shavings and Pine Bark 4 inches deep.
Not sure how much you want to spend on testing the soil.

First thing I'll recommend is bringing a few samples into your local nursery, they may be able to do it for you.

Second thing I'll recommend is just going to the box store or hardware store and buying the inexpensive test kits.

Thirdly is recommending this. I been meaning to get it but its too expensive for my blood.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2V54623UJXEW9

I learned about it while watching one of my favorite YouTube gardeners..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShC2pvDzv2E

Old 07-18-2017, 09:24 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Cooperative Extension services in some states offer relatively cheap soil test kits: Don't Guess... Soil Test — Home Lawn and Garden — Penn State Extension. $9.00 here in PA.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:24 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
I never could understand why anyone would want to turn part of their garden into junk, acidic soil just so they can have blueberries.

Blueberries grow naturally in soils so acidic and poor that many other things won't grow.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I never could understand why anyone would want to turn part of their garden into junk, acidic soil just so they can have blueberries.

Blueberries grow naturally in soils so acidic and poor that many other things won't grow.
Part of their garden?

You mean like having a few pots of blueberries in one part of the yard and a separate raised garden bed for vegetables?

Old 07-18-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Not sure how much you want to spend on testing the soil.

First thing I'll recommend is bringing a few samples into your local nursery, they may be able to do it for you.

Second thing I'll recommend is just going to the box store or hardware store and buying the inexpensive test kits.

Thirdly is recommending this. I been meaning to get it but its too expensive for my blood.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2V54623UJXEW9

I learned about it while watching one of my favorite YouTube gardeners..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShC2pvDzv2E
Thanks for the info. I'm really not looking to spend a lot or have a hassle doing this. Just want something simple to give me a rough estimate of soil acidity so I can track when it ticks higher and add some acid.

Any inexpensive tests you can recommend that I'll probably just order on Amazon?

Old 07-19-2017, 04:09 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm really not looking to spend a lot or have a hassle doing this. Just want something simple to give me a rough estimate of soil acidity so I can track when it ticks higher and add some acid.

Any inexpensive tests you can recommend that I'll probably just order on Amazon?
This one should do the trick. Only $10. It does rust easy and the plastic breaks if left outside. So doesn't last long.

This one as well. Only $7 but involves you grabbing sample, mixing, and waiting a little. Also only a one time use.

Both will give you an idea of your soils PH.

Don't forget to go to a local nursery and ask if they do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden