U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM

236 posts, read 134,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Rhodies don't like mulch close to the base. You should leave it 2-3" away. For yellowing, a good treatment is Epsom salts dissolved in water, 1 tablespoon to a gallon every couple of weeks until it greens up.
I keep all mulch away from the base of the plant or tree as that has always been the recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Rhodies don't like mulch close to the base. You should leave it 2-3" away. For yellowing, a good treatment is Epsom salts dissolved in water, 1 tablespoon to a gallon every couple of weeks until it greens up.
First time hearing of this and I will try it out starting today, thank you!

Old Yesterday, 06:42 AM

694 posts, read 449,586 times
Is the general surrounding soil compact clay? Or was the plant planted with lots of quality soil around it.

Do you have a local extension agent who you can asked questions like this. A local extension agent will be aware of localized issues.

I was a Rutgers Master Gardener for 4 years. One thing that was hammered home was the quality of soil used in planting. Amending soil, etc.

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

1,584 posts, read 504,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Lately, I have been using a Lowes product called Clay Breaker with Gypsum. It claims the gypsum softens up clay soil adds nutrients and can be used as a mulch.
As a mulch, never.

To the OP, yellowing of the leaves is almost always over-watering. If you planted last fall, it is no longer a new plant and does not need careful watering. Just sit back and relax. The yellowed leaves can't be recovered, but if its not the whole plant, no big deal.

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

5,028 posts, read 5,253,163 times
Quote:
First time hearing of this and I will try it out starting today, thank you!
Noticed the black mulch reference in your original post. Mulch can be its own thing. How close, a little, a little more. Natural, dark brown, black red. Single, double, triple shredded. One home we loved, the new owner put down rubber tire mulch when they moved in. Stunk and I can't imagine it did any good.

All the best on your rhodies.

Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM

Rubber tire mulch is claimed to last forever and not wash away in rain. What does not get said is that it stinks, is heavy to work with, and can release toxins as it degrades.

Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM

5,028 posts, read 5,253,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Rubber tire mulch is claimed to last forever and not wash away in rain. What does not get said is that it stinks, is heavy to work with, and can release toxins as it degrades.
Just the thought of it is nauseating. Rubber tire mulch in the hot sun.

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

Quote:
As a mulch, never.

To the OP, yellowing of the leaves is almost always over-watering. If you planted last fall, it is no longer a new plant and does not need careful watering. Just sit back and relax. The yellowed leaves can't be recovered, but if its not the whole plant, no big deal.
Ok, so the yellow leaves could be from overwatering so I will give it break and continue to monitor the plant.

The Clay Breaker with gypsum is a great mulch for plants according to the the manufacturer, its written on the front of the bag. Beacause I read that, I spread some on two small Crape Myrtles that I recently planted.

You think this is a bad idea??

Last edited by Rickcin; Yesterday at 02:28 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

Quote:
The Clay Breaker with gypsum is a great mulch for plants according to the the manufacturer, its written on the front of the bag. Beacause I read that, I spread some on two small Crape Myrtles that I recently planted.
Do you believe every manufacture claim? I hope not. There are negatives to gypsum, you might read a bit here:

https://puyallup.wsu.edu/wp-content/.../03/gypsum.pdf

Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Do you believe every manufacture claim? I hope not. There are negatives to gypsum, you might read a bit here:

https://puyallup.wsu.edu/wp-content/.../03/gypsum.pdf
Got it, thanks! Bottom line is that it adds very little benefit to clay soils so it appears the package labeling if mostly all hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden