U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:16 PM

1,784 posts, read 596,205 times

Advertisements

^ It benefits some kinds of clay soil, but too much of it, like you'd if you used it as a mulch, can be harmful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 07:26 PM

287 posts, read 151,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ It benefits some kinds of clay soil, but too much of it, like you'd if you used it as a mulch, can be harmful.
Hard to imagine it would actually be harmful?

Old 07-16-2017, 07:30 PM

62,536 posts, read 51,853,955 times
OP, if the problem is that the root isn't properly mulched, as some say, you can buy a root feeder at the garden store, hook the hose up to it, and water it that way. It only takes 5 minutes of water directed at the roots. You might water one side, then move the root feeder, and water the other side of the root ball, for evenness. Root feeders are excellent for rescuing trees that are showing signs of drying out due to drought, too.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:38 PM

9,189 posts, read 3,566,426 times
I have this problem. Leaves are yellow. I thought maybe where I am it's too hot for this type of plant. Azealas, a relative, is doing well.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I have this problem. Leaves are yellow. I thought maybe where I am it's too hot for this type of plant. Azealas, a relative, is doing well.
I have found that Azealas are relatively simple to grow and are hardy while rhodidenum on the other hand are very finically and difficult at best.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, if the problem is that the root isn't properly mulched, as some say, you can buy a root feeder at the garden store, hook the hose up to it, and water it that way. It only takes 5 minutes of water directed at the roots. You might water one side, then move the root feeder, and water the other side of the root ball, for evenness. Root feeders are excellent for rescuing trees that are showing signs of drying out due to drought, too.
I am wondering if BigBear is correct in saying to might be overwatered? After all, there is another established rhody 8 feet away that does not have any yellow leaves, at least not yet!

Thanks for the root feeder suggestion, I will look into it and knew nothing about it prior to your reply.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,285 posts, read 43,198,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One of our issues where I live is the Rhododendron Borer: Rhododendron Borer — Department of Entomology — Penn State University. Do you have any problems with them on the West Coast?
No, I haven't seen that and I have at least a dozen of them, up to 10' high. They are actually native to our area, though the native Rhododendron is a rather boring light pink color.

Washington Native Plant Society: Photograph of Rhododendron macrophyllum

Old 07-17-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, if the problem is that the root isn't properly mulched, as some say, you can buy a root feeder at the garden store, hook the hose up to it, and water it that way. It'd only takes 5 minutes of water directed at the roots. You might water one side, then move the root feeder, and water the other side of the root ball, for evenness. Root feeders are excellent for rescuing trees that are showing signs of drying out due to drought, too.
I just love kid on line and see I can purchase either 24 inch or 36 inch perforated watering stakes. They would be great for the 6 foot tall Hollies we have that need to grow to create a screen.

I could install one stake at each tree and save a lot of water by just watering using the stakes. It will be a job to get them installed in the hard clay but once they have been installed it will be a breeze to keep them watered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden