U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2017, 04:40 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,017,333 times

Advertisements

Ok, I will do my best on asking for advice, but, long story short, I planted a peach tree about the beginning of July, and now, this peach tree seems to be showing signs of wilting/defoliation, so I guess my questions are as follows
1. How long will it potentially take before the peach tree I planted two weeks ago or so ago is fully established?
2. How long/How much should I be watering this peach tree(the peach tree was planted in heavy clay soil and is situated in full sun growing conditions with probably 6-8 hours a day of full direct sunlight)?
3. Should I be concerned about any other possible causes of defoliation/wilting in this peach tree, and if so,what should I do to ensure that this peach tree doesn't croak on me?
I am located in Fort Worth Texas in plant hardiness zone 8a, all advice would be greatly appreciated, as I would really hate to lose this tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 05:35 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,064,758 times
You planted in the worst possible season for new tree survival. It it dies, chalk it up to a learning experience, but certainly try to keep it alive until the fall planting season. Mulch the tree circle to keep the soil moist and as cool as possible. If it doesn't make it, take the time to enlarge the hole, mix in some good soil amendment to minimize the water holding characteristics of clay, order a new tree from a reputable grower, and request a fall shipment, if none is stated when the order is placed.

Planting season

Good luck
Gemstone1

Old 07-17-2017, 04:22 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,064,758 times
Drought watering guide for trees from Stark Bros Nursery

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-18-2017, 05:18 PM

8,649 posts, read 15,948,815 times
I heard something once about painting a tree trunk white to help in sunny situations. I'm not sure what they used to make it white, it probably was not paint. Maybe white gauze loosely wrapped around the trunk or some sort of trunk wrap may help. But take it off after the tree starts looking better since it could restrict growth if it were left on.

But, mulch and deep watering should work. 'Deep' watering is when you water for ten to fifteen minutes so the water has time to soak into the soil. The tree roots are probably a foot or more deep so you need to add a foot or two of water for it to reach that deep. If it's really hot and windy with full sun, then water every three or four days most likely. Dig an inch or two into the soil, if it's dry, water it.

If it's windy, then it may be helpful to add some support wires/stakes/ropes to the tree. There's usually a loop at one end that doesn't constrict the trunk and then the other end is staked to the ground. That keeps the wind from pushing the tree back and forth and stressing the newly growing roots.

A shade cloth 'fence' close around it (about a two - three foot wide circle) may help protect it from the elements. Or setting something big on the windward side of it may give it a bit of protection.

Depending on how big the peach tree is initially, it will take several years before it gets going very fast usually. The first year they're usually growing roots, then once they get the roots established, they'll start growing. Trees are slow starters but once they're established, they're usually good for decades.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:53 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,017,333 times
Hotcatz, thank you for your insightfulness and your helpful advice, I will consider checking the soil for moisture and use part of the compost pile(mostly grass clippings from the lawnmower)in order to conserve as much soil moisture as possibleI gave the peach tree a pretty good drink 2 or 3 days ago, so with this hot weather I will give it another good drink tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:42 PM

15,719 posts, read 19,574,879 times
The white paint is used in winter on southwestern slopes especially to prevent the tree from prematurely partially breaking dormancy and then being damaged by the cold weather when the sun goes down and stops warming it. Wraps are also used (as I have used).

I think thick mulch and good watering will help the OP. If not inspect carefully for evidence of pests or fungi.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:03 PM

6,107 posts, read 7,715,773 times
Consider one of these, given where you live and when you planted.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006GT6C6...a-306024069488

Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM

134,007 posts, read 69,270,210 times
I hope you created a small dome for your peach tree in heavy clay so it can drai in wet seasons. Planted so late in Texas heat I wouldn't count on it surviving. Was it a bare root or a container tree? Sorry but I wouldn't give it a snowballs chance in Laredo if it was bare root. Wish you the best. All of the above replies are correctly stated.

Old Today, 02:38 PM

623 posts, read 219,107 times
get a 5 gallon bucket ($3 at home depot/lowes), put a small hole in bottom (1/32" ), put a brick/rock in it, and set it by tree, with hole over root ball.
(the brick/rock keeps it from getting blown away once it empties)

Fill it every other day, all thru the summer. Tree will survive.

I've established dozens of trees this way, thru the worst of drought seasons, in nasty heavy clay soil you couldn't chisel even with a jack-hammer.
Even transplanted some (too big) peach trees this way too. it works.

Peach trees need about 2 seasons to 'establish' (longer if planted in arid locations).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden