U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:20 AM

4,544 posts, read 4,312,453 times

Advertisements

OP, you'll learn something new every season. That's what makes gardening exciting. I can't add to the good advice here, but I'll be interested in reading about your update.

Added: bees aren't the only pollinators! Sometimes butterflies and ants help with the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 09:30 AM

340 posts, read 435,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
OP, you'll learn something new every season. That's what makes gardening exciting. I can't add to the good advice here, but I'll be interested in reading about your update.

Added: bees aren't the only pollinators! Sometimes butterflies and ants help with the job.
I agree! I've been gardening for a long time, but always find new challenges (and rewards) to keep things very interesting. One of our newest endeavors is planting and growing lemon and fig trees. So far, so good.

Since we moved to California (from the PNW) our growing seasons and expanded opportunities are making things very fun. Just for example, several flowers that used to be annuals are now perennials.

And thanks for the reminder about other insect friends. Both butterflies and ants are hanging around as well. Also several types of small flies. I wonder if they might help us out...

Old 07-30-2017, 06:20 PM

140 posts, read 189,987 times
The first several flowers on a zucchini plant are always male.

Old Today, 12:04 PM

340 posts, read 435,106 times
So just an update on my results - the plants did end up pollinating naturally, and we've gotten some nice sized zucchinis. Additionally, we also experienced rather weak pollination in some areas (several little fruits yellowing, then falling off), so I also hand-pollinated by removing a male flower and 'introducing' it to a female. So far, so good - we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden