U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 11:26 AM

997 posts, read 297,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I just read the oddest thing in the Health & Wellness forum about people who are hot and sweating all the time. (Like me.) Someone said they were insect magnets and I found it really odd, but then I'm an insect magnet and always hot and sweat to an embarrassing degree, so was wondering if any of you other mosquito magnets are hot?
Basically, what attracts the mosquito (and many other biting insects) is body heat and carbon dioxide. This identifies you as a source for the blood meal the insect wants. The warmer the prey the easier it is for the mosquito to locate. The carbon dioxide you exhale also attracts them. The less active or agitated you happen to be, the cooler your surface temperature is and the less CO2 you are exhaling.

Last edited by AllisonHB; 08-01-2017 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 11:58 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,829,419 times
I have type O blood - which attracts them, plus I have some Blood sugar issues - which attracts them... so I'm a bullseye walking. And its taken over 2 years to heal from some of the no-seeum/sand gnat bites I got when living in Savannah, GA....they chewed on me year round!! If I didn't wear a hat or cap you could read Braille on my scalp. Skin So Soft helped but when walking the dog in the am or pm - backwoods off was the only thing to keep them off me...

i've gotten a couple lately when I forget to spray and man they itch. I'm looking at the SallyeAnder product.... that I can keep right by the door. hate those nasty suckers. If I know I'm going to be in the yard or on the deck, I spray Cutter - but I know it kills the bees and butterflies that I specifically planted flowers for... so I have to watch that.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:33 PM

997 posts, read 297,665 times
You can reduce the chance that you harm other insects by not using sprays...apply a lotion with the same active repellent ingredient.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:06 PM

30,581 posts, read 38,179,180 times
The electric bug zappers work, but if you have dogs, the noise might bother them.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:42 PM

5,119 posts, read 7,416,301 times
OK that explains my bites. The evening I got all of them I was out in the yard digging up Iris for the sale, sweating like a stuffed pig, and it was dripping off me. It was so humid, but I wanted to get the chore done. No bug spray at all. Dummy !

Old 08-02-2017, 02:09 AM

19,398 posts, read 18,537,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I've heard this before, but it doesn't work for me at all. If it doesn't have DEET, it's like I'm wearing mosquito attractant. I still get bites even with Off on, those horrid suckers just looooove my taste! It also is supposed to help to have a dryer sheet in your pocket, but nothing works better than long pants and sleeves

Not scratching right away is the most important thing, but sometimes one fails. I use a Benadryl gel too, and agree it doesn't help that much, though I think the spray version is more effective for some reason.

I'll have to check out this electric zapper thing...
SSS didn't work for me, either. Even with DEET, I get some bites.

I like to scratch them until the area is a bit pink and irritated, then pour alcohol on them. That hurts so good.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:15 AM

19,398 posts, read 18,537,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I just read the oddest thing in the Health & Wellness forum about people who are hot and sweating all the time. (Like me.) Someone said they were insect magnets and I found it really odd, but then I'm an insect magnet and always hot and sweat to an embarrassing degree, so was wondering if any of you other mosquito magnets are hot?
My sister is. Whenever we've been outside together, she gets all of the bites.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:11 AM

498 posts, read 223,471 times
I wear long pants in garden, or spray off which does work I usually itch for 5-10 minutes if I do get bitten, also I fog every now and then and make sure no standing water in gutters for them to breed.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:20 AM

4,371 posts, read 3,938,139 times
Once bitten, I find the best relief from the itch is just a basic topical local anesthetic like the benzocaine in Lanacane. Just dull that itch so I don't scratch at it and it will heal up more quickly.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:20 AM

20,990 posts, read 15,469,780 times
luckily for me I don't have a severe reaction to skeeter bites. as long as i can keep from scratching them for the first 5-10 minutes, they disappear within half an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden