U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 11:14 AM

8,244 posts, read 15,054,917 times

Advertisements

I got one of these electric zappers that I'd never heard of before this thread. Only tried it on one bite so far, but it worked. I can't believe it!

https://www.amazon.com/Zapper-Click-.../dp/B000KU74K4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 12:15 PM
Status: "make a hole, impeached prez walking" (set 4 days ago)

17,803 posts, read 17,217,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I got one of these electric zappers that I'd never heard of before this thread. Only tried it on one bite so far, but it worked. I can't believe it!

https://www.amazon.com/Zapper-Click-.../dp/B000KU74K4

looks intriguing but it must be hard to hit their little beaks

Old 08-03-2017, 04:00 PM

8,244 posts, read 15,054,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
looks intriguing but it must be hard to hit their little beaks
Haha, it doesn't prevent bites, it prevents major itch afterwards.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:25 PM

567 posts, read 193,616 times
I've also read that it's the co2 that attracts them, so I guess if you simply must breathe, at least don't exhale.

Cooling the skin by any means (water or ice cube) will temporarily relieve the itch. Topical anesthesia with lidocaine- like in Baby Oragel or Lanacaine works a little longer.

Spices evolved as natural insect repellents-- eating garlic or using cannabis works like a charm (so I've been told) to keep the little beggars away.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:13 AM

274 posts, read 52,855 times
Definitely eating garlic keeps them away. My husband was going to be outside more for work one summer and he made it a habit time have a few slices of toasted garlic bread as a night time snack. it was just French or white bread with butter and heavy on the garlic powder toasted. It really worked the next day to keep the mosquitoes away.

As for treatment the dab of After Bite works OK.. A major ingredient is ammonia...... Windex should work too, just kidding. That was from My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

https://www.target.com/p/afterbite-i...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 08-04-2017, 07:32 AM
Status: "make a hole, impeached prez walking" (set 4 days ago)

17,803 posts, read 17,217,667 times
I know from personal experience that drinking tequila will prevent black flies from biting, probably works with mosquitos, dogs and fish too

Old 08-04-2017, 09:59 AM

274 posts, read 52,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I know from personal experience that drinking tequila will prevent black flies from biting, probably works with mosquitos, dogs and fish too
LOL. Do you mean the tequila keeps the dogs and fish away from you.

Or tequila keeps the mosquitoes away from dogs and fish. But.... How do you get the fish to drink tequila.... Maybe just sprinkle it on the dog... But that would be a waste of good tequila. Have to get a bottle of cheap stuff for that.

OK, I got. Take a swig of the good stuff. Poor the cheap stuff on the fish and the dog.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:06 PM

20,476 posts, read 53,129,664 times
Soak your feet in hot water with Epsom Salts.

Immediately after the bite, place a cloth saturated with ammonia over the area you can use other astringents, but ammonia seems to work best.

To keep them away, one thing actually works - DEET. The stronger the better. Cantnip oil also works but good luck finding it. The other sometimes solution are those off fan things you hook on your belt. They work, but only when there is little or no breeze. If your feet are bare, you might have to put it on your sandals.

Do not waste your moeny on anything that will supposedly kill them or make them go away in general. Nothing actually works unless you can get every person in your area to participate. The best thing to do is get rid of standing water, or if you cannot, put dunks into it (except swimming pool, just keep the pool chlorinated). However if your neighbors do not do this too, not much you do will help.

Fogging can work but you must use the correct type of chemicals at the correct times of year. Fog several times a year. Fog everything within at least 1/4 mile of you house. IF you fog within 100 -300 feet, it will reduce the population that comes to ite you, but do you really care whether you get 18 bites or 42?

The bottom line and the only thing you will actually do often enough to work is DEET. 30 - 40% at least.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:58 AM

1,240 posts, read 433,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Soak your feet in hot water with Epsom Salts.

Immediately after the bite, place a cloth saturated with ammonia over the area you can use other astringents, but ammonia seems to work best.

To keep them away, one thing actually works - DEET. The stronger the better. Cantnip oil also works but good luck finding it. The other sometimes solution are those off fan things you hook on your belt. They work, but only when there is little or no breeze. If your feet are bare, you might have to put it on your sandals.

Do not waste your moeny on anything that will supposedly kill them or make them go away in general. Nothing actually works unless you can get every person in your area to participate. The best thing to do is get rid of standing water, or if you cannot, put dunks into it (except swimming pool, just keep the pool chlorinated). However if your neighbors do not do this too, not much you do will help.

Fogging can work but you must use the correct type of chemicals at the correct times of year. Fog several times a year. Fog everything within at least 1/4 mile of you house. IF you fog within 100 -300 feet, it will reduce the population that comes to ite you, but do you really care whether you get 18 bites or 42?

The bottom line and the only thing you will actually do often enough to work is DEET. 30 - 40% at least.
That is not strictly true. Sprays with lemon eucalyptus oil actually do better over the long term than sprays with DEET for mosquitoes. I think if you are talking about ticks, then high-level DEET is a necessity, but the OP is really only looking for mosquito repellant. Higher DEET tends to be more corrosive to plastic and certain fabrics and is also more irritating to the skin, so it may not be the best option for everyone.

There are anti-mosquito clothes or washes you can buy as well. For really bad areas, I have a hoodie that is lightweight. It is supposed to last about 10-20 washes. The wash you buy is supposed to last around 6 washes.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:23 PM

18,439 posts, read 17,639,512 times
Ticks drink DEET for lunch, but it's a very effective mosquito repellent. Lemon eucalyptus oil works just as well. A top performing repellent contains both. That makes sense to me.

The best mosquito protection.

The treated clothing and wash contain permethrin which is an insecticide and not a repellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden