U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 01:35 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,254,075 times

Advertisements

What can I use to soothe a bunch of mosquito bites that I got outside in the yard recently? I have benedryl lotion but it doesn't seem to help.

Also, what can I use in the yard to either spray or deter the little buggers? Anyone heard of Mosquito Beater? You spread it all around the yard and the smell supposedly causes them to flee.

I foolishly did some gardening in my shorts without any OFF and now I am itching constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 01:48 PM

56,393 posts, read 38,846,287 times
Rubbing Alcohol works. Burns for a second but gives "temporary" relief.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:53 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,383,429 times
Avon Skin So Soft works well to keep them off you - seriously. They even put out a special product for mosquitoes but the regular stuff works.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:59 PM

711 posts, read 195,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
What can I use to soothe a bunch of mosquito bites that I got outside in the yard recently? I have benedryl lotion but it doesn't seem to help.

Also, what can I use in the yard to either spray or deter the little buggers? Anyone heard of Mosquito Beater? You spread it all around the yard and the smell supposedly causes them to flee.

I foolishly did some gardening in my shorts without any OFF and now I am itching constantly.
Up here in the Great North Land of mosquitoes (AK) I don't bother trying to keep them out of anyplace other than the house. Just pointless when there are masses more lurking right over the property line. Don't leave standing water anywhere. If you have a boggy spot where the soil is saturated, break up the soil or drain it. Some mosquito species only need wet soil or groundcover vegetation to breed. Dense shrubbery provides cover for many species. If you can, don't do garden work when the humidity is higher (mornings and evenings) or when there's no wind. I know where you live that's sort of the opposite time to be outdoors, but that's when the nasty little beasts are more active!

As for itching, the usual advice about NOT scratching immediately after the bite does help for some types of mosquitoes. However, I have tried so many topical products over the years and know not all of them work for everyone. No lotions have ever helped me much, nor did alcohol. That seemed to help with an actual BITE, not a mosquito sting. I stumbled on this odd gadget in a catalog that actually does help a lot! Its an electronic "itch zapper" (generic term) that supposedly uses heat to interrupt the histamine reaction to a bite. You plug the gadget in and let it heat up. Mine, made by Hontech, has a heat level adjustment dial. There is a metal disk you place on the bite and your skin will warm up quite quickly. As it does, you'll feel the itch fade away, and I've found it stops the itch for hours. I have used the same one for many years and it still works. There are battery operated ones and plug in ones. I've heard the battery operated ones don't work nearly as well. Don't know if they are still around, but it wasn't expensive and the darned thing has gotten serious use over the years and it works for me!

Last edited by AllisonHB; 07-28-2017 at 04:39 PM..

Old 07-28-2017, 05:58 PM

8,324 posts, read 15,190,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Avon Skin So Soft works well to keep them off you - seriously. They even put out a special product for mosquitoes but the regular stuff works.
I've heard this before, but it doesn't work for me at all. If it doesn't have DEET, it's like I'm wearing mosquito attractant. I still get bites even with Off on, those horrid suckers just looooove my taste! It also is supposed to help to have a dryer sheet in your pocket, but nothing works better than long pants and sleeves

Not scratching right away is the most important thing, but sometimes one fails. I use a Benadryl gel too, and agree it doesn't help that much, though I think the spray version is more effective for some reason.

I'll have to check out this electric zapper thing...

Old 07-28-2017, 06:16 PM

12 posts, read 3,237 times
I hope you have found relief by now! My favorite method to stop the itching and the dime-sized red welt that follows it is to use an ice cube.

I hold the cube on the mosquito bite until the spot is numb. I move on to the next bite and do the same thing and then go back to the first one and do it again. I usually have to freeze each bite about three times to make it go away. I think it works on older bites, but not as well as on fresh ones. It makes the bites practically disappear and they don't start itching again (as long as I froze them long enough).

I've tried rubbing alcohol, calamine lotion and baking soda paste (not all at the same time) but the ice trick works best for me. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2017, 08:00 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,254,075 times
Thanks Katy: The ice cube is exactly what my neighbor said to do an hour ago.

I went to buy that Mosquito Beater stuff that you spread in the yard, but it won't work after it rains, which it does here every day. So I saved $15. And ice is cheap.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:21 PM

668 posts, read 228,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

My experience is that there isn't much you can do after being bitten. It's going to itch,no matter what you put on the bites. I've got several myself right now, and I'm trying really hard not to scratch, but I also know eventually I will!

Old 07-29-2017, 09:19 AM

12 posts, read 3,237 times
You're welcome, Barb. Where I live, the mosquitoes are much more active in the afternoon and evening, when it's often over 100 degrees anyway. Here, they especially love to hang out in shrubs, so be aware of that if you are pruning. They can procreate in mud, gutters and birdbaths.

I haven't tried mosquito dunks, but if you have gutters or birdbaths, they might help.

For protection, I really like a long-sleeved shirt made by Columbia. It's somewhat tailored and made out of their omni-shade fabric. I buy it on Amazon. It helps with the sun and bugs (makes them work harder for their dinner). If you buy one, don't use fabric softner on it.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:39 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,880,624 times
I absolutely love SallyeAnder No Bite Me.

https://www.amazon.com/SALLYEANDER-N.../dp/B008J5YBOE

Can't live without it. I'm out in my garden just about every day. Not only do mosquitos bite me, but black gnats that love my eyes and ears make me swell up something awful when they get me. This stuff works. I put it on exposed areas and it keeps the little buggers off me, ear lobes, by my eyes, ankles, where my shirt sleeve stops, back of neck. Lasts a long time.

Mosquitos bites I may get when I don't have the above on, cheap generic Benadryl really helps when the itching kicks in. Was recently stung by a yellow jacket, that was painful as all heck, but the Benadryl helped it at some points, but boy did that really hurt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden