U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 05:44 PM

1,668 posts, read 541,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Roundup is bad bad bad.
I figured I'd see some push-back here. Roundup is NOT bad, but poison ivy is. Roundup is one of the most environmentally safe controls you can use on PI. If you had a science background, you'd probably understand the issues a bit better.

I will not engage in a debate on so called "negatives" of the stuff, since frankly, I "don't have the faith" in so-called "organic" or "environmentally sound" alternative or solutions. I prefer approaches that actually work without damaging the soil, like vinegar and detergent can do. You do know that detergents are totally artificial compounds that don't always degrade gracefully?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 06:15 PM

5,166 posts, read 5,336,217 times
Round up herbicide works well to stop young poison ivy like this. Spray it on a not-windy day directly on the leaves and in less than a week the plant will starve out. If the spray gets on the soil it will be inactivated, so no problem there. If it touches the thick bark of a tree it will do nothing, so again, no problem. Meanwhile, Round Up will have no effect whatsoever on animal life. On the other hand, most people are miserable if they get poison ivy oils on their skin.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:19 PM

2,072 posts, read 2,729,171 times
Aren't there bugs eating it? How could it be poison? ;-)
Anyway, check here:
The Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Poison Sumac Site | The site for answers about poison ivy, oak, sumac and the skin rashes they cause.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:21 PM

6,159 posts, read 7,768,477 times
This is one of the best sources of info on PI that I have found. DH and I are both very sensitive to it.

Identify the Plant | The Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Poison Sumac Site

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

695 posts, read 227,985 times
leaves of three.....let em be

Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

771 posts, read 495,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
leaves of three.....let em be
Yeah. Problem with that is I am now so gun-shy I am going by that old saying. Tromped around the woods off and on for 60 plus years and never thought about it till I finally got dosed. I always thought it was some little rash people were freaking out about. NOT! It's blisters like you got burned.

Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,098,681 times
I use those old Walmart and grocery store sacks to pull these up so I don't have to touch it. My yard is only four years old so no established plants and I try to keep it that way.

Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,177,362 times
"Last month, an international agency declared glyphosate, the primary ingredient in the popular product Roundup, a “probable human carcinogen.” The weed killer also has made recent headlines for its widespread use on genetically modified seeds and research that links it to antibiotics resistance and hormone disruption. Several national governments are planning to restrict its use, and some school districts are talking about banning it."
What Do We Really Know About Roundup Weed Killer?

Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM

5,166 posts, read 5,336,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
"Last month, an international agency declared glyphosate, the primary ingredient in the popular product Roundup, a “probable human carcinogen.” The weed killer also has made recent headlines for its widespread use on genetically modified seeds and research that links it to antibiotics resistance and hormone disruption. Several national governments are planning to restrict its use, and some school districts are talking about banning it."
What Do We Really Know About Roundup Weed Killer?
But if you knew the science behind it and the huge amount of research to the contrary, you would question those conclusions. TONS of data say it is okay. If it was a carcinogen there would need to be a molecular mechanism by which it works like that and there is none.

Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM

3,627 posts, read 5,364,976 times
Round Up Poison Ivy Killer. Nothing else works on mine. "Oh but Round Up is evil!" Mom gets severe reactions to it, so that's definately worse. I've used it for seven years and this is the first year that I haven't seen any on the property. It kills that bamboo-like scurge my area has as well.

Where PI is concerned, you must kill the roots and they go very deep. I never thought I'd get rid of mine. Birds distribute the seeds, so i may see it again next year.

NEVER burn PI. The oils get in the lungs and can be fatal. Where long sleeves and gloves, put in plastic bags and dispose. No composting. Throw the gloves away. Heck, through the shirt away too.

Soap and vinegar damage the soil so I only use those on lesser weeds and only on the leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden