U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2017, 08:31 AM

4,033 posts, read 7,712,699 times

Advertisements

I really want to plant more wildflowers (including milkweed--I saw a cat yesterday munching away on one of my milkweed plants ). However, I've run out of space in the beds that I currently have.

So, I have decided to repurpose part of the lawn and some other grassy areas that would be much better served as wildflower habitats. However, I have never done this before, so I am hoping for someone to give me some advice.

Do I need to dig up the grass with a rototiller? Or can I just plant seeds amid the existing grass, maybe by scoring rows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 08:59 AM

1,535 posts, read 645,056 times
You are gonna need to remove all the grass before atempting to plant anything. I have a small tiller that works wonders when I feel the need to extend my beds. If I was 20 years younger I probably would just use a spade fork to get it done.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:36 PM

Thanks, LIcenter.

I love your garden and will be planting something similar. I was just wondering: if I seed (in the fall), should I put down mulch?

Also, do you weed your garden and, if so, how (ie. how do you get in there)? I ask b/c the area that I plan to repurpose is about 10x10 and I am concerned that I will not be able to get in there to weed unless I leave a "lane" in the middle...

Old 08-08-2017, 08:38 PM

11,916 posts, read 26,953,044 times
You could put down cardboard, weed fabric, or plastic to smother out the grass where you don't want it. Should be dead in a couple of weeks, or sooner.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,828 posts, read 44,565,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You could put down cardboard, weed fabric, or plastic to smother out the grass where you don't want it. Should be dead in a couple of weeks, or sooner.
This time of year with all the heat and sun is a great time to kill it this way, but then you still have to remove the sod or till it for successful wildflowers. With a green, watered lawn, renting a sod cutter and removing it to become compost or use elsewhere may be an option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVn4Izwg7Lc

Old 08-09-2017, 02:58 PM

1,988 posts, read 723,784 times
I've done something similar in the past. Killed off the grass and tilled it in. It was lumpy with all the little sod hunks, but the new plants did not seem to mind. It seems like a waste to me to cut out the sod layer and dispose of it, since you'll take several inches of soil doing so. And the sod pieces break down fairly fast.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:31 PM

21,327 posts, read 54,433,903 times
A friend of ours in California wanted to turn their lawn into native plants/wildflowers. Their neighbor constantly harassed code enforcement until they cited them for their lawn being too long (this neighbor was always on them for something, he called the fire marshal because they had a grand piano in their living room and he claimed it was a deathtrap because the piano took up most of the room). Our friends fought it for a while and lost, so they got a copy of the code, removed the wildflowers and replaced it with dozens of random length dowel rods with a dolls head (from yard sales) on top of each dowel rod. The neighbor called code enforcement and they showed them where the code allowed art to be displayed in their yard. Code guy who was ticked about having to cite them for wildflowers agreed. Neighbor appealed it and lost. The heads were there for years. They decorated the heads for every major holiday - probably just so he would not forget them.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:50 AM

2,308 posts, read 818,878 times
Definitely check with your HOA if you have one.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Definitely check with your HOA if you have one.
I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden