U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-07-2017, 03:46 AM
 
Location: Yellow cottage, green doors.
16,082 posts, read 11,557,412 times
Reputation: 69866

Advertisements

The original poster's location and information as to how large the toads AND poop is is needed. Is this in Florida?

To the garage toad host in Florida, your toad is possibly a 'Marine toad' (Bufo marinus) and is known to eat both dog food and cat food out of bowls. If cat or dog contact the toad with their mouth they will get poisoned and quite likely die a fast, horrible death. Now let's find out if any of the 2 toads in this thread are the Marine toad, also known as the Giant or Cane toad!

Last edited by rainroosty; 08-07-2017 at 03:57 AM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2017, 06:37 AM
 
2,246 posts, read 1,649,684 times
Reputation: 2949
I'm in NW South Carolina, heavily wooded area. Toads are 1" - 3". Droppings are 3/4"-1" and I've seen them doing it.

I looked last night and the outdoor light actually shines more on the garden area than on the patio where they're making their mess.

We don't get snails here. I don't see any insects around the plants, but I'm going to move them and see if that helps.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Floribama
11,844 posts, read 26,659,029 times
Reputation: 9220
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

To the garage toad host in Florida, your toad is possibly a 'Marine toad' (Bufo marinus) and is known to eat both dog food and cat food out of bowls. If cat or dog contact the toad with their mouth they will get poisoned and quite likely die a fast, horrible death. Now let's find out if any of the 2 toads in this thread are the Marine toad, also known as the Giant or Cane toad!
I think it's just regular Southern Toad... that feeder is a foot off the ground, so he actually hops up there. LOL

(food bowl isn't usually that dirty)
Attached Thumbnails
Toad Repellent-image.jpeg  
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 10:52 AM
 
Location: British Columbia
4,148 posts, read 4,542,726 times
Reputation: 5553
Toads of any kind in any location can become habituated to eating pet foods that are left out where they can get at it, they'll eat both the dry form and canned meat. On farms they'll also eat livestock feed like compressed pellets for rabbits, goats, poultry and waterfowl. They usually get started off on the habit by preying on other creatures that come to eat the pet food (slugs, bugs, mice, small birds, other smaller toads) and then they graduate to eating the pet food.


.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 11:01 AM
 
Location: on the wind
719 posts, read 197,158 times
Reputation: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I think it's just regular Southern Toad... that feeder is a foot off the ground, so he actually hops up there. LOL

(food bowl isn't usually that dirty)
The toad in your pic isn't a cane toad luckily! Cane toads don't have the white dorsal stripe and they also tend to have large venom glands along sides of their neck.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Floribama
11,844 posts, read 26,659,029 times
Reputation: 9220
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
The toad in your pic isn't a cane toad luckily! Cane toads don't have the white dorsal stripe and they also tend to have large venom glands along sides of their neck.
It's funny actually, my dog will stand there eating his food with the toad sitting right there. He doesn't pay it any attention.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 09:12 PM
 
3,078 posts, read 1,377,031 times
Reputation: 5584
What do toad turds look like? I really like toads, but we get some pretty small ones around here. I've never noticed any poop from them. Then again, maybe I didn't know what I was looking at. (Or stepping in.)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 09:29 PM
 
Location: British Columbia
4,148 posts, read 4,542,726 times
Reputation: 5553
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
What do toad turds look like? I really like toads, but we get some pretty small ones around here. I've never noticed any poop from them. Then again, maybe I didn't know what I was looking at. (Or stepping in.)

Lots of ID pictures here: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...es&FORM=HDRSC2


This is what it looks like fresh:




Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 02:07 AM
 
18,959 posts, read 18,055,545 times
Reputation: 22797
Now I see the problem. That's some epic excrement.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 06:48 AM
 
3,078 posts, read 1,377,031 times
Reputation: 5584
Oh, yuck. How do they pass something that large? Yikes.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top