U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 06:28 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,647,585 times

Advertisements

Okay, I don't mind toads and have coexisted with them on our property for 9 years. They're noisy and that's okay. They eat bugs and sing in the rain.

But! In the last two weeks, something changed and they are pooping all over our patio. Ugh, it's so disgusting. I could hardly believe it, but it's true, I've even seen them do it at night. Why are they marking that territory? And they're right next to the house now, all sizes. I'm afraid they may try to get in.

What can I do to get them back in the garden and yard where they belong? I've put salt along the edges, doesn't matter. I need some good ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 05:20 AM

1,575 posts, read 2,150,532 times
So, just let it dry, step on it and it turns to dust..... after all, it is organic. "I'm afraid they may try to get in." (the house)....unless your house is unusually "buggy", toads have no interest in invading your house. I've had a toad (or several) living in my basement for a couple of years now....I even put out a tray of water so they can hydrate occasionally....they do me a favor of eating the cave crickets who also live there.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-06-2017, 09:28 AM

18,120 posts, read 20,784,730 times
Are you running porch lights that attract insects? Turn those off and maybe place a light out in the garden to move the bugs back out to the garden. The toads will follow the insects.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:32 AM

56 posts, read 16,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Are you running porch lights that attract insects? Turn those off and maybe place a light out in the garden to move the bugs back out to the garden. The toads will follow the insects.

this^^

Old 08-06-2017, 11:13 AM

4,142 posts, read 4,540,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Okay, I don't mind toads and have coexisted with them on our property for 9 years. They're noisy and that's okay. They eat bugs and sing in the rain.

But! In the last two weeks, something changed and they are pooping all over our patio. Ugh, it's so disgusting. I could hardly believe it, but it's true, I've even seen them do it at night. Why are they marking that territory? And they're right next to the house now, all sizes. I'm afraid they may try to get in.

What can I do to get them back in the garden and yard where they belong? I've put salt along the edges, doesn't matter. I need some good ideas.

Toads and frogs don't physically mark territory. They will claim territory with their voices and will physically do battle over territory, but they don't mark it. So if they're pooping on the patio it's because they're just doing what comes naturally and they will do that wherever they are at the moment. In your case they're sitting on the patio waiting for something else that is attracting them to the patio and when they have to poop they will stay where they are.

The real problem is the toad food that's attracting toads to the patio so you need to do an inspection of the patio. If you can determine what has changed on, around or under your patio to produce toad food during the past two weeks (???? ... insects, worms, slugs, mice, even baby snakes and baby toads are fair game to bigger toads ...???) you'll have a better idea of what to do next to discourage the toad food and thus encourage the toads to abandon the patio and return to the gardens.

Is there any sign of a nest of something hatching or due to hatch out soon near the patio? If a nest of something edible is going to be hatching there soon, toads will know it and they'll wait for it.

If, as suggested above, it's a simple matter of lights near the patio attracting insects then move or put out the lights.

If it's not lights attracting insects then I would be curious to know what kind of building material your patio is constructed of, i.e. is it wood, stones, bricks, solid concrete slab, and is it raised up above the ground or in direct contact with the ground, and do you have patio plants growing in containers that might be hiding a hatch of something inside or under the containers?

Old 08-06-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is a 20-30 foot tall light that was put there by the electric company 35 years ago that shines on the whole back yard, nothing is different there. But maybe I can put a brighter light in the garden.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Toads and frogs don't physically mark territory. They will claim territory with their voices and will physically do battle over territory, but they don't mark it. So if they're pooping on the patio it's because they're just doing what comes naturally and they will do that wherever they are at the moment. In your case they're sitting on the patio waiting for something else that is attracting them to the patio and when they have to poop they will stay where they are.

The real problem is the toad food that's attracting toads to the patio so you need to do an inspection of the patio. If you can determine what has changed on, around or under your patio to produce toad food during the past two weeks (???? ... insects, worms, slugs, mice, even baby snakes and baby toads are fair game to bigger toads ...???) you'll have a better idea of what to do next to discourage the toad food and thus encourage the toads to abandon the patio and return to the gardens.

Is there any sign of a nest of something hatching or due to hatch out soon near the patio? If a nest of something edible is going to be hatching there soon, toads will know it and they'll wait for it.

If, as suggested above, it's a simple matter of lights near the patio attracting insects then move or put out the lights.

If it's not lights attracting insects then I would be curious to know what kind of building material your patio is constructed of, i.e. is it wood, stones, bricks, solid concrete slab, and is it raised up above the ground or in direct contact with the ground, and do you have patio plants growing in containers that might be hiding a hatch of something inside or under the containers?

Good ideas here too. I read somewhere online that they mark their territory, I'm no expert.

They have always sat on the patio at night, it's just the mess that is new. We have a walkout basement onto the concrete patio that goes along the entire length of the house. It's old. It's about 8' wide and there's a step up to a higher patio where our inground pool is. They rarely get in the pool and they're not making a mess there, just by the house. There is a stream behind the house in the woods and ponds across the street.

My neighbor will get mice & bats in his outbuildings, but we haven't had them at our house for several years. The bugs aren't bad. We do see snakes now and then, I've thought about that.

But, for the first time I did put some tomatoes & peppers in containers on the higher patio, I haven't seen them near them but maybe you're right, that something is ready to hatch.

Thanks for all the ideas, will work on them.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:50 PM

11,841 posts, read 26,652,038 times
My outside dog's food bowl stays in my garage, and every night after putting food in it I can go out and there's a big toad sitting right at the edge of it. Surely that toad isn't eating dog food? Nonetheless, I too find toad turds all over my garage, it took me a long time to figure out what they were.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My outside dog's food bowl stays in my garage, and every night after putting food in it I can go out and there's a big toad sitting right at the edge of it. Surely that toad isn't eating dog food? Nonetheless, I too find toad turds all over my garage, it took me a long time to figure out what they were.
Right? We thought it might be chipmunks because of the size.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:04 AM

711 posts, read 195,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The toad was probably soaking in the dog's dish or in a damp spot around it. They have a special area of thinner skin on their belly called a "drinking patch" that absorbs water faster. Either that or it was eating slugs, snails, or other bugs attracted to the dog food.

OP I'd suspect there are more insects attracted to your new veggies that have attracted the toads. Maybe slugs or snails? Neither toads or frogs mark a physical territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden