U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-09-2017, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Virginia
366 posts, read 209,508 times
Reputation: 123

Advertisements

Will constant use of this product eventually loosen up up hard packed clay?

The product does claim to accomplish this and I live in SW Virginia With a front lawn that is well compacted clay.

I will ( and have last year ) aerate every year but don't think that is enough and if I had a belief that Milogranite really works to loosen up the soil, I would apply this product to our front lawn three or more times a year.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2017, 09:50 AM
 
Location: LI,NY zone 7a
2,106 posts, read 880,360 times
Reputation: 2505
I don't think the product itself will actually loosen up the clay compaction. What it will do is give the grass roots a more vigorous growth, which in turn will loosen up the clay.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
15,280 posts, read 6,539,402 times
Reputation: 8548
Any organic matter will work. Some people avoid Milorganite because in the past, it has been found to contain a higher level of metals.

As LICenter says, the main response is greater root growth. The other thing that happens is that organic matter increases the habitat for soil organisms, including earthworms, which will also loosen soil.

The organic matter provides surface area for microbes to live on and increases the air and water pores in the soil. This is all good for the roots. So yes, aerate and/or dethatch and then immediately apply plenty of organic material of your choice and water it in. As you make the top few inches of your soil more hospitable to life, that life will work on the lower levels.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Virginia
366 posts, read 209,508 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Any organic matter will work. Some people avoid Milorganite because in the past, it has been found to contain a higher level of metals.

As LICenter says, the main response is greater root growth. The other thing that happens is that organic matter increases the habitat for soil organisms, including earthworms, which will also loosen soil.

The organic matter provides surface area for microbes to live on and increases the air and water pores in the soil. This is all good for the roots. So yes, aerate and/or dethatch and then immediately apply plenty of organic material of your choice and water it in. As you make the top few inches of your soil more hospitable to life, that life will work on the lower levels.
Black Cow is a locally available bagged compost/manure so I guess that could be raked onto the surface of the lawn but is costly at $5.00 plus a bag and would probably need several treatments.

Perhaps this along with Milogranite and grass clipping might help to increase the soil organisms.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 03:09 PM
Status: "You meet the nicest people on CD..." (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Out there somewhere...
38,068 posts, read 43,551,229 times
Reputation: 104143
•It’s a slow-release fertilizer that feeds for up to 10 weeks...
Why Use Milorganite
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Virginia
366 posts, read 209,508 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Its a slow-release fertilizer that feeds for up to 10 weeks...
Why Use Milorganite
I am going to use this product at least two times per year to feed the roots. I can't image this non chemical fertilizer will not benefit the soil and grass roots. Going to do my first application in September after aerating and overseeing and then in November I will apply the Scotts Winter Guard fertilizer unless someone can recommend a better product to use.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 05:16 AM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,350 posts, read 1,977,025 times
Reputation: 363
Not exactly, aerating will provide the most benefit, while combining it with Milorganite will definitely help.

When aerating, be sure to go over the lawn multiple times through various directions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Will constant use of this product eventually loosen up up hard packed clay?

The product does claim to accomplish this and I live in SW Virginia With a front lawn that is well compacted clay.

I will ( and have last year ) aerate every year but don't think that is enough and if I had a belief that Milogranite really works to loosen up the soil, I would apply this product to our front lawn three or more times a year.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
5,701 posts, read 8,095,298 times
Reputation: 10331
Milwaukee sanitary district sludge on your lawn? Ugh. I really don't see the advantage over regular fertilizers/aeration.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,350 posts, read 1,977,025 times
Reputation: 363
Thanks for posting the link for those who are not familiar with it.

Great product, especially for those of us who prefer to feed the soil instead of feeding the grass blade.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Its a slow-release fertilizer that feeds for up to 10 weeks...
Why Use Milorganite
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2017, 12:26 PM
 
2,533 posts, read 1,097,090 times
Reputation: 2365
Milorganite has always had, and still does, a good dose of heavy metals. They claim it's within EPA limits. But they don't tell you that heavy metals tend to accumulate. Quantitative data on the heavy metals in the stuff is hard to find, but this is an interesting article on the topic: Sludge by Any Name Will Never Be

Would I use it? Probably on the grass if it were more cost effective. But it's a pretty expensive way to put down nitrogen, and where I am, in SW NH, we have other even more obviously organic sources.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top