U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:12 PM

56,992 posts, read 39,436,707 times

Advertisements

Who would of thought it'd be too hot to plant seeds at the end of September? 85-92 past few days.

And get this... after this weekends cool down (great for lawn stuff), next week we heat up again with 80s.

Trying to time everything now while the Calendar is reminding me its crunch time. December is in 2 months!

I might just skip overseeding this fall then. I'd love to take advantage of the warmth but without rain and with too many 80s, and frost/freeze less than 2 months away why risk it?

#DillemaDillema
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 04:22 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,712,666 times
You and me both!

Tells it like it is and keeps it simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I love that guy's channel, he's a natural with the camera!

I might give the restore a try in a few weeks for a winter feed. Not quite sure yet and want to see if this crazy (and stinky) concoction I've come up with can repeat itself again this fall like it did back in April. The areas that I did not overly spray in May, have done insanely well this year (the bushes, shrubs, trees). That Quantum microbial inoculant stuff that I mentioned on the other thread around post #155, is beyond insanely good! I posted up a couple of pictures of our Schip Laurels at that time (April). They were 4 feet-ish then. Now, 5 months later, they're now taller than I am (5'10) and quickly approaching 6 1/2 feet, completely filled in between each other, and I'll have to start trimming them soon. Since they're evergreens, they likely be approaching 7 1/2 to 8 feet by Christmas. 2 1/2 feet of vertical growth and close to the same horizontally, in 5 months time. When we planted them 18 months ago, they were around 2 feet tall max. Not a single leaf was lost this year either. The trees we had planted back in March 2016, all going gang busters now too. That stuff is an absolute must have item going forward. Before I screwed up the lawn, I was aiming for the golf ball test, and went right past it. I could put a baseball on it and it wouldn't touch the ground underneath it.

I screwed up because I got lazy. In one tank mixture, I put everything in. Drive XLR8, Tenacity, TZone, TalStar, surfactant. When I had the 4 gallon pack on, I realized I had the wrong spray tip and couldn't find the fan tip I needed. So, I said screw it and off I went. Two critical errors made. (1) WRONG tip and application technique (waived side to side). (2) Had surfactant in there with items that don't use it to be effective, which made them overly powerful (TZone and TalStar). Add in the heat, and boom, completely reversed my previous progress 100% and went backwards 50% in the back and side yard. So stupid of me. Having to wait all summer for everything to fade away and dilute down, has not been enjoyable. I will never make that mistake again!

Old 09-26-2017, 04:28 PM

Agree, love my Milorganite!

In the fall I like to mix it up with a little synthetic and Milorganite.

Good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I dunno. I love using Milorganite on my lawn. I've tried a few synthetics and other organics now and the Milorganite seems to have the best results for me and the deepest greens. I just did a treatment this past Labor day, and i'll either do a Scotts winterizer or another Milorganite treatment around thanksgiving.

I knew what is was, and read a lot of pros/cons about it.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:18 AM

1,288 posts, read 1,146,335 times
Put the mix down this past Saturday. Checked it yesterday morning (Thursday)....guess what's starting to pop up again! Me, be, happy!

I don't know what is more influential in this concoction, the alfalfa, soybean, or microbes, but grass seed germinating and sprouting in 4 days has to be a new personal best for me.

The other good news is that I'm no longer the most stinky neighbor on the block. I've sparked a competition now with a few neighbors, and one had cow manure spread all over their yard this past Monday after they saw me putting my stuff out. We're all good friends, and all in good fun, but my lord does our pocket of the neighborhood just STINK/STANK/STUNK!! Mine was pretty bad, a hot decaying garbage smell that lasted about 3 days. But theirs, oh god no.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:03 PM

Excellent! Did you use a starter fertilizer?

How damp did you keep it?

Quote:
Put the mix down this past Saturday. Checked it yesterday morning (Thursday)....guess what's starting to pop up again! Me, be, happy!

I don't know what is more influential in this concoction, the alfalfa, soybean, or microbes, but grass seed germinating and sprouting in 4 days has to be a new personal best for me.

The other good news is that I'm no longer the most stinky neighbor on the block. I've sparked a competition now with a few neighbors, and one had cow manure spread all over their yard this past Monday after they saw me putting my stuff out. We're all good friends, and all in good fun, but my lord does our pocket of the neighborhood just STINK/STANK/STUNK!! Mine was pretty bad, a hot decaying garbage smell that lasted about 3 days. But theirs, oh god no.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:30 AM

No starter, just the alfalfa/soybean/microbial mixture. Have the sprinkler system set to run all zones 10 minutes each on MWF, and just the lawn zones every day at 1:30pm for 6 minutes each. Basically keep it wet in the morning, and wet in the afternoon. It's so dry around here these days, needs a good bit of water. The lawn is trying to go dormant already. Growth is certainly slowing down quite a bit in general. I'll mow it this weekend for the first time since putting down the seed (two weeks), and that should be it for the year.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:35 AM

1,384 posts, read 748,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I've been watering my hydroseeded area 5 times a day spread out, for 10 minutes each time. Just enough to keep the seedbed wet.

It's so blazing hot, I don't dare water less often or they might cook.

---------------------------------------------
UPDATE:

Hydroseeded Tuesday afternoon, last night I thought MAYBE there was something coming up already. This morning at 9am when I went out for the first watering, there's thinly spread 1 inch seedlings all over already!

Tomorrow afternoon will be 3 weeks since it was hydroseeded, and it's pretty much already at the point of needing it's first mowing. I think I'll wait one more week though so it thickens just a little more.

Question I have: at the one month point I'm supposed to use a good nitrogen starter fertilizer. Should I mow first, and then apply the fertilizer? I'm thinking about using this one:

Scotts 12.6 lb. 5,000 sq. ft. Turf Builder Lawn Food-22305 - The Home Depot

Old 10-09-2017, 02:55 PM

I threw grass seeds down and starter fertilizer 10 days ago. I was only watering the backyard, not the front. Things were so dry. Only 0.10" last 4 weeks!

Finally getting rains (Thanks Nate!) and so things are greening up again and so beneficial to the seeds.

And a tropical pattern to boot! Lows in the 70s (what?!), yup, lows in the 70s 2 nights in a row. Highs in the 70s. Humidity like the amazon.

Leaves are falling yet it feels tropical.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I threw grass seeds down and starter fertilizer 10 days ago. I was only watering the backyard, not the front. Things were so dry. Only 0.10" last 4 weeks!

Finally getting rains (Thanks Nate!) and so things are greening up again and so beneficial to the seeds.

And a tropical pattern to boot! Lows in the 70s (what?!), yup, lows in the 70s 2 nights in a row. Highs in the 70s. Humidity like the amazon.

Leaves are falling yet it feels tropical.
Pretty photos, but think you should reserve the weather commentary for a weather-related / weather-specific thread. You might be flagged for hijacking a topic with the consistent weather updates.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Pretty photos, but think you should reserve the weather commentary for a weather-related / weather-specific thread. You might be flagged for hijacking a topic with the consistent weather updates.

It was about the conditions for the "seeds" I put down.. Landscape and weather go hand in hand, but I will try to keep my passion for it down a little more for you guys, not like it's never mentioned though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Amazing weather this time of the year.
The optimal time for overseeding is now, with still warm days and cool nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Temps in the mid Atlantic are amazing for this time a year with cooler nights for adding amazing conditions for over seeding the lawn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Jose's been sitting off the coast of MA for almost a week now sending light rain our way. Just been a permanent raw mist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
It's so blazing hot, I don't dare water less often or they might cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden