U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2017, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,444 posts, read 2,130,470 times
Reputation: 422

Advertisements

I would consider a Honda if they had a decent cutting height of 4 inches but unfortunately they don't so it is not an option.

might also go the route of having someone cut the grass on a regular basis so looking for more of a simple model that's excellent at bagging mainly in the fall time when all the leaves are coming down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I think I would've done a little more research on bagging ability, to be honest. Otherwise it's been a pretty good mower. I would definitely get a better blade though, no question about it. I haven't used mine in a couple of months, as I finally hung it up and handed over the mowing duty to one of the several landscapers who come through our neighborhood every week. They can mow and bad my yard inside of 20 minutes, whereas I was spending 2 hours and dead tired afterwards. Grew tired of being so tired on my Saturday or Sunday, and have too many other projects to focus on. So, I shelved the mower for another time when I have the free time.


I really can't say what mower is best anymore. I hear good things about Honda, but they're pretty steep in cost. I used to have a Sears big wheel and rear-wheel drive. It was great at bagging, but everything else broke (won't ever buy sears again). The Toro has taken a beating far worse than the sears did, and nothing has broken (specifically wheel mount brackets). It just struggles to bag if the grass is even remotely damp. The opening to the bag is too small and not quite a direct shot for the clippings to enter the bag. Damp grass ends up sticking to the deck and clogging up about every 50 feet or so. If the grass is very dry, it's excellent. Not 110% dry, and a bit of a hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2017, 08:33 AM
 
Location: LI,NY zone 7a
2,189 posts, read 987,303 times
Reputation: 2633
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
I would consider a Honda if they had a decent cutting height of 4 inches but unfortunately they don't so it is not an option.

might also go the route of having someone cut the grass on a regular basis so looking for more of a simple model that's excellent at bagging mainly in the fall time when all the leaves are coming down.
Find the mower you like best. From what I'm reading, it seems 3.75 cut height is the standard. My guess is, once you past that height you are giving up suction, not to mention dangerous things flying out from under it. If you're intent on having a minimum cut height of 4 inches, then just buy a bigger set of wheels to add the extra height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2017, 08:40 AM
 
Location: LI,NY zone 7a
2,189 posts, read 987,303 times
Reputation: 2633
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I have vowed never to buy a Toro again. I started a thread somewhere in this forum about which mower I should buy next. (Ended up with Honda. Not thrilled with that, either, but that's another thread.) A couple thoughts:

(1) Personal pace is nice, I'll give it that. Much better than Honda's equivalent, which knows only 2 speeds: slower than a turtle and wild horses running away.
If you bought the model # I posted in your other post, you need to take it back. They have a very smooth variable speed system. Unless you bought 2 speed version, which I don't think was even mentioned in your query. In any case you can still it it back, especially if you bought it at HD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2017, 11:44 AM
 
Location: D.C.
1,816 posts, read 1,548,951 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
I would consider a Honda if they had a decent cutting height of 4 inches but unfortunately they don't so it is not an option.

might also go the route of having someone cut the grass on a regular basis so looking for more of a simple model that's excellent at bagging mainly in the fall time when all the leaves are coming down.
On the leaves aspect, it's pretty good actually! Like using a vacuum cleaner, and I've used mine several times for this. I guess my only real complaint about this mower is when the grass is damp. Otherwise, it's pretty good. One thing I did forget to mention too re: damp grass, you won't get the bag full before having to empty it and cleaning out the clipping port with your hands. Maybe get it 30% full before it starts choking and spitting the clippings out the sides.


The personal pace is decent, but you will need to adjust it every now and then to maintain it. It can be a little annoying if you find yourself wanting to just get the mower to move forward (say navigating a hill) and pushing against the bar is more difficult than just squeezing up the handle. But, minor complaint.


Honestly, life is just that much easier now with having someone else do it, and I get to enjoy the weekends doing other things. Ours gets mowed on Thursday or Friday, meaning it's all nice and mowed for enjoyment on Saturday & Sunday. One drawback though, is the potential for more weeds and crabgrass issues, as you never quite know what they just mowed with the same mower an hour before. Seedlings and such can transfer from the underside of their deck to your lawn. So, just stay on top of the appropriate herbicides and such instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,444 posts, read 2,130,470 times
Reputation: 422
Going to look at HD and Sears.

Again looking mainly for leaf removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
If you bought the model # I posted in your other post, you need to take it back. They have a very smooth variable speed system. Unless you bought 2 speed version, which I don't think was even mentioned in your query. In any case you can still it it back, especially if you bought it at HD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,444 posts, read 2,130,470 times
Reputation: 422
No problem there, since its mainly for leaf removal would only be using it when everything is dry.




Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
On the leaves aspect, it's pretty good actually! Like using a vacuum cleaner, and I've used mine several times for this. I guess my only real complaint about this mower is when the grass is damp. Otherwise, it's pretty good. One thing I did forget to mention too re: damp grass, you won't get the bag full before having to empty it and cleaning out the clipping port with your hands. Maybe get it 30% full before it starts choking and spitting the clippings out the sides.


The personal pace is decent, but you will need to adjust it every now and then to maintain it. It can be a little annoying if you find yourself wanting to just get the mower to move forward (say navigating a hill) and pushing against the bar is more difficult than just squeezing up the handle. But, minor complaint.


Honestly, life is just that much easier now with having someone else do it, and I get to enjoy the weekends doing other things. Ours gets mowed on Thursday or Friday, meaning it's all nice and mowed for enjoyment on Saturday & Sunday. One drawback though, is the potential for more weeds and crabgrass issues, as you never quite know what they just mowed with the same mower an hour before. Seedlings and such can transfer from the underside of their deck to your lawn. So, just stay on top of the appropriate herbicides and such instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 06:07 AM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,444 posts, read 2,130,470 times
Reputation: 422
Would you go with another Toro or Craftsman?

Looking for the best value mower again mainly for fall leaf removal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
On the leaves aspect, it's pretty good actually! Like using a vacuum cleaner, and I've used mine several times for this. I guess my only real complaint about this mower is when the grass is damp. Otherwise, it's pretty good. One thing I did forget to mention too re: damp grass, you won't get the bag full before having to empty it and cleaning out the clipping port with your hands. Maybe get it 30% full before it starts choking and spitting the clippings out the sides.


The personal pace is decent, but you will need to adjust it every now and then to maintain it. It can be a little annoying if you find yourself wanting to just get the mower to move forward (say navigating a hill) and pushing against the bar is more difficult than just squeezing up the handle. But, minor complaint.


Honestly, life is just that much easier now with having someone else do it, and I get to enjoy the weekends doing other things. Ours gets mowed on Thursday or Friday, meaning it's all nice and mowed for enjoyment on Saturday & Sunday. One drawback though, is the potential for more weeds and crabgrass issues, as you never quite know what they just mowed with the same mower an hour before. Seedlings and such can transfer from the underside of their deck to your lawn. So, just stay on top of the appropriate herbicides and such instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 06:38 AM
 
Location: D.C.
1,816 posts, read 1,548,951 times
Reputation: 2790
I came to toro from a 3 year old craftsman, which will be the last thing I ever buy from sears, period. It ran like a charm, and mowed great, that wasn't the problem. It was the cheap plastic that they used underneath that kept breaking. For instance, hit a bump, and all of the sudden the front axle no longer was able to hold a height setting, because the plastic that holds the axle to the mower deck snapped. Did that to me 3 times. Cable snapped off twice, again because cheap plastic hinge for cable simply just snapped into two pieces for no apparent reason. Made me so angry that I simply tossed it out and bought the toro, which has seen 10x's the abuse with anything breaking.

The craftsman was a large back wheel, rear wheel drive, with electric start. The electric start lasted a season, and the clutch would sometimes not disengage. You had to push it forward a few inches to get the clutch to let go so you could pull it backwards freely, otherwise you're just dragging it back with locked up wheels. Other than mowing nice and bagging like a champ, it was a total POS. Wasn't cheap either, $500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,444 posts, read 2,130,470 times
Reputation: 422
For the Toro, is it better with or without personal pace?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I came to toro from a 3 year old craftsman, which will be the last thing I ever buy from sears, period. It ran like a charm, and mowed great, that wasn't the problem. It was the cheap plastic that they used underneath that kept breaking. For instance, hit a bump, and all of the sudden the front axle no longer was able to hold a height setting, because the plastic that holds the axle to the mower deck snapped. Did that to me 3 times. Cable snapped off twice, again because cheap plastic hinge for cable simply just snapped into two pieces for no apparent reason. Made me so angry that I simply tossed it out and bought the toro, which has seen 10x's the abuse with anything breaking.

The craftsman was a large back wheel, rear wheel drive, with electric start. The electric start lasted a season, and the clutch would sometimes not disengage. You had to push it forward a few inches to get the clutch to let go so you could pull it backwards freely, otherwise you're just dragging it back with locked up wheels. Other than mowing nice and bagging like a champ, it was a total POS. Wasn't cheap either, $500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,444 posts, read 2,130,470 times
Reputation: 422
What do you think between these three

Toro 22 in. Kohler High Wheel Variable Speed Gas Self Propelled Mower-20378 - The Home Depot

Toro 22 in. Recycler SmartStow High Wheel Variable Speed Walk Behind Gas Self Propelled Mower-20339 - The Home Depot

Toro 22 in. Recycler SmartStow Personal Pace Variable Speed High-Wheel Drive Walk Behind Gas Mower-20340 - The Home Depot


Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I came to toro from a 3 year old craftsman, which will be the last thing I ever buy from sears, period. It ran like a charm, and mowed great, that wasn't the problem. It was the cheap plastic that they used underneath that kept breaking. For instance, hit a bump, and all of the sudden the front axle no longer was able to hold a height setting, because the plastic that holds the axle to the mower deck snapped. Did that to me 3 times. Cable snapped off twice, again because cheap plastic hinge for cable simply just snapped into two pieces for no apparent reason. Made me so angry that I simply tossed it out and bought the toro, which has seen 10x's the abuse with anything breaking.

The craftsman was a large back wheel, rear wheel drive, with electric start. The electric start lasted a season, and the clutch would sometimes not disengage. You had to push it forward a few inches to get the clutch to let go so you could pull it backwards freely, otherwise you're just dragging it back with locked up wheels. Other than mowing nice and bagging like a champ, it was a total POS. Wasn't cheap either, $500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top