Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 02:19 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,981,982 times

Advertisements

Every time my pruners get dull, I go out and buy another one. I do not know how to sharpen anything, especially garden tools, and I don't think there is a service like that around here. When I was little, there was an old guy with a push cart who came around to homes to sharpen scissors, tools, etc. I really miss him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 02:48 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,748,866 times
I use a file for sharpening garden tools.

This one

Old 08-13-2017, 02:57 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,454,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Every time my pruners get dull, I go out and buy another one. I do not know how to sharpen anything,<>
What you need to learn to do is using a diamond hone. Pruners are sharpened like scissors - one side of the blade only. First step is to smooth out the flat side of the blade with the coarse diamond or stone to remove any burrs. Put magic marker on the angled edge to see how you are doing. Move the diamond hone across the blade at right angle to the edge. Your pruning tools should be able to cut paper without tearing. I'm sure there are videos on the yousual site. ;-)
Here's the brand I use:
Smith's Pack Pal Dual Grit Diamond Stone Sharpener | Smith's - Knife Sharpening Equipment, Electric Knife Sharpeners, Sharpening Stones - Since 1886
I use this for knives with a wedge edge blade, but does not work well with long pruner blades:
50591- Diamond/Arkansas Stones Precision Knife Sharpening System | Smith's - Knife Sharpening Equipment, Electric Knife Sharpeners, Sharpening Stones - Since 1886

Last edited by Crashj007; 08-13-2017 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: hone

Old 08-13-2017, 03:00 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,454,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I use a file for sharpening garden tools.

This one
Pretty good for lawn mowers but not to be allowed to touch a real edge. I used this type for skis, and shovels, too.

Last edited by Crashj007; 08-13-2017 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: shovels

Old 08-13-2017, 03:25 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,961,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Pretty good for lawn mowers but not to be allowed to touch a real edge. I used this type for skis, and shovels, too.
Lawn mower blades can be challenging with just a file. Often they have considerable damage to the edge from rocks. Bench grinders can take the nicks out of hard steel lawn mower blades and hatchets and axes. For the home owners that have a workshop bench; it is a great investment and they are fairly cheap to start off (you do not need the most expensive; bottom line should do for most occasional users): Bench Grinders - Grinders - The Home Depot. Follow the safety recommendations when using them (eye and hand protection). For the lawn mower blades you can buy a cheap blade balancer: Ace Blade Balancer (Ac-Sbb-102) - Specialty Attachments & Parts - Ace Hardware.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:51 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,748,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I use it for axes, pruners, and loppers with perfect results. Cooking knives are treated with more care.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:01 PM

6,033 posts, read 4,380,559 times
We have a sewing center here that offers scissors sharpening, and they give out a price list that includes kitchen knives and garden tools. I don't know who they send it out to, but they can apparently sharpen most things.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:07 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,605,394 times
Quote:
Every time my pruners get dull, I go out and buy another one. I do not know how to sharpen anything, especially garden tools, and I don't think there is a service like that around here. When I was little, there was an old guy with a push cart who came around to homes to sharpen scissors, tools, etc. I really miss him.
I'm sure there are knife sharpeners where you live, call and find out whether any of them also do garden tools. IME, quite a few of them do.

Places that sharpen lawn mower blades may also sharpen garden tools.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:35 PM

6,333 posts, read 4,050,972 times
Sharpening tool would include a bench grinder, files, sharpening stones and one of the most versatile would be a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. Very inexpensive at Harbor Freight and would last forever if used for just sharpening tools.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:19 PM

15,630 posts, read 26,105,565 times
Quote:
Check your local JoAnn's...sometimes they have scissor sharpening, but the guy can do tool sharpening,too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden